McDermott on scouting Lamar Pre Draft

YoloinOhio

1 hour ago, 2003Contenders said:

The real test will be 2-3 years from now. Will Jackson go the way of other mobile QBs like RG3 and Kaep, wherein defenses figure out how to stop them -- or will he continue to develop and evolve as an upper echelon QB (a la Russell Wilson)?

..that my friend is a dead on assessment and a fair one....nicely done......:thumbsup:

2 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

Who is this clown of a troll Allen hater and why post his drivel?

He posted this describing himself.

Overthrowing receivers, all over Western New York

The moron even tweeted this,

just another ignorant Allen hater, **** him.

• Like (+1) 1

30 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I missed this "pic of the Bills pre-draft QB board" thing.  Can you say more please?

11 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Oh, I'm hosed then - I can never find anything when I search the archives here.  Though if you remember someone who posted it I may be able to pull it that way.

I posted it at one point in time I'll try to dig it up...

Hope this works:

20 minutes ago, section122 said:

I posted it at one point in time I'll try to dig it up...

Hope this works:

Wow you are resourceful - that is it! I’ve always kind of taken it with a grain of salt given it comes from Twitter but hard not to think it’s real. 4/9 was indeed the day that Baker visited. 

Edited by YoloinOhio

2 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Wow you are resourceful - that is it! I’ve always kind of taken it with a grain of salt given it comes from Twitter but hard not to think it’s real. 4/9 was indeed the day that Baker visited. 

Yeah I missed it originally but someone mentioned it in passing previously and I remembered finding it on Reddit.  Googled Reddit Bills QB Draft Board Leak and found it.

The proposed trade with Denver was confirmed as the deal that was in place if Chubb didn't fall which lends even more credence to the rumor.  Given how the draft played out (confirmation bias I know) I think even more that it was true.

I am shocked this wasn't a bigger story pre-draft as it could have wrecked their plans!

5 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

I think it’s real as well.

Frightening to think Kyle Lauletta was ranked higher than LJ but if it all works out, oh well.

Just now, FireChans said:

I think it’s real as well.

Frightening to think Kyle Lauletta was ranked higher than LJ but if it all works out, oh well.

I just think (if board is accurate) that LJ wasn’t on their board at all. And I don’t think it was his ability or film... but rather that they were unable to get a full assessment of him (details, process, etc being so key to them) , and without that they were uncomfortable making that monumental of a franchise-altering decision without it. Which - I completely respect and agree with. I would have done the same thing. Maybe they wouldn’t have taken him regardless but it just seems like it would be deal breaker to not have been able to dissect every piece of him. 

5 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

I just think (if board is accurate) that LJ wasn’t on their board at all. And I don’t think it was his ability or film... but rather that they were unable to get a full assessment of him (details, process, etc being so key to them) , and without that they were uncomfortable making that monumental of a franchise-altering decision without it. Which - I completely respect and agree with. I would have done the same thing. Maybe they wouldn’t have taken him regardless but it just seems like it would be deal breaker to not have been able to dissect every piece of him. 

I get what you’re saying, but let’s say 4 QB’s go before the Bills pick. What are they gonna do, trade up for Rudolph in the first? Pass on QB and pass on Lamar at the end of the first to take Rudolph in the second?

LJ almost fell out of the first round. If the board didn’t go the way it did, we could have ended up looking REALLY silly. I get that’s how it works, how much that draft changed the course of the NFL. 

Edited by FireChans

2 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

I think the point was that there were certain teams that “really” passed on him who obviously were going to take a QB - Cleveland, jets, cards, bills. 

When that pic that was circulated of the Bills pre-draft QB board, he was not on it. I wonder if they shied away from considering him with that huge decision because he couldn’t be brought in for a workout or meeting at the facility because he didn’t have an agent and his mom didn’t answer the phone. I could see McD being so process oriented that he couldn’t fathom only getting a 15 min convo at the combine and using that to make the biggest decision of their tenure. 

Your right Yolo, I remember seeing that pic of the Bills board. I wonder if McD & company felt that the fan base wasn't ready for a running type OB. Tyrod provided many exciting moments but his lack of passing & scoring points wore out his welcome with many fans. They might have thought better to get a more pure passer type QB.

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, FireChans said:

I get what you’re saying, but let’s say 4 QB’s go before the Bills pick. What are they gonna do, trade up for Rudolph in the first? Pass on QB and pass on Lamar at the end of the first to take Rudolph in the second?

LJ almost fell out of the first round. If the board didn’t go the way it did, we could have ended up looking REALLY silly. I get that’s how it works, how much that draft changed the course of the NFL. 

It’s my opinion only that they would have taken Rudolph - gahhhhh

• Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, 1st&ten said:

Your right Yolo, I remember seeing that pic of the Bills board. I wonder if McD & company felt that the fan base wasn't ready for a running type OB. Tyrod provided many exciting moments but his lack of passing & scoring points wore out his welcome with many fans. They might have thought better to get a more pure passer type QB.

Even today, seeing how well Lamar is doing, I am glad we took Allen instead. He’s the perfect fit for our team imo and is going to keep evolving. Jmo

• Like (+1) 5