Wednesday pressers - Josh Allen and McDermott, Lamar Jackson

Wow, did they ask Allen a lot about Lamar Jackson.

Thought he handled it very very well. 

https://twitter.com/BuffaloBills/status/1202295216016896001

https://www.facebook.com/BuffaloBills/videos/714844229011693/

Turns out he attended JuCo with one of Jackson's cousins and spent some time with Lamar off-season.  Said nice things about him.  Got slightly salty (in a good way) when they tried to bait him about how different his path was from Lamar's as the Heisman winner/national spotlight where Allen was from Firebaugh and "Fresno State wasn't even interested in you".  Said "Yeah, but Lamar wasn't annointed "the Guy" and everybody doubted him until he went out and started making some plays, everybody had their doubts and he proved them wrong".  Said that being a guy who's been in the same situation, watching Lamar do that has been awesome to watch.

If some of the press came looking for locker room clippings or trash talk, they went away empty.  Allen took their hoped-for cannon and spiked it very neatly.

Sean McDermott Presser

McDermott got asked a fair bit about Rivera.  Thought he handled that well too.

Was very complimentary about Lamar Jackson, said he's a fantastic player and they feel good about where Josh is.  Refused to be drawn into anything that came close to discussing whether or not Jackson (or Allen) can pass from the pocket.    Was more wishy washy when asked if mobile QB are the future of the NFL - said it's an exciting time to be around the NFL

• Like (+1) 6
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 4

Lamar Jackson

https://www.baltimoreravens.com/video/lamar-jackson-would-be-an-honor-to-break-michael-vick-s-record

I could be missing something.  He was asked about playing a youth football game with Devin Singletary.  He was asked if he met Josh Allen during the pre-draft process: "Yeah, I got to know him a little bit....talked to him a little bit...all the QB really"  Was asked if he keeps track of how his QB class is doing, and very properly said "no, he's just focused on what they've got going on, to be honest

He wasn't asked one question about the Bills defense or any of the Bills players.

Well all righty then.  Guess I know where we stand with the Baltimore media (0)

Lamar has been working on his public speaking and interview skills.

• Like (+1) 1

38 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Turns out he attended JuCo with one of Jackson's cousins and spent some time with Lamar off-season.  Said nice things about him.  Got slightly salty (in a good way) when they tried to bait him about how different his path was from Lamar's as the Heisman winner/national spotlight where Allen was from Firebaugh and "Fresno State wasn't even interested in you".  Said "Yeah, but Lamar wasn't annointed "the Guy" and everybody doubted him until he went out and started making some plays, everybody had their doubts and he proved them wrong".  Said that being a guy who's been in the same situation, watching Lamar do that has been awesome to watch.

If some of the press came looking for locker room clippings or trash talk, they went away empty.  Allen took their hoped-for cannon and spiked it very neatly.

Sean McDermott Presser

Was very complimentary about Lamar Jackson, said he's a fantastic player and they feel good about where Josh is.  Refused to be drawn into anything that came close to discussing whether or not Jackson (or Allen) can pass from the pocket.    Was more wishy washy when asked if mobile QB are the future of the NFL - said it's an exciting time to be around the NFL

I was a bit surprised when the first Q to Josh was about LJ.  Then comes the second question, which again was about Lamar and the Raven's offense.  I quit watching after that.  I understand these questions to McD or one of the Bill's defensive staff/players.  But to our QB, or any other offensive guy?  Come on press.

• Thank you (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Pokebball said:

I was a bit surprised when the first Q to Josh was about LJ.  Then comes the second question, which again was about Lamar and the Raven's offense.  I quit watching after that.  I understand these questions to McD or one of the Bill's defensive staff/players.  But to our QB, or any other offensive guy?  Come on press.

You should watch.  It was really very amusing. 

At least, my take on it was the press was really doing calisthenics trying to stir up some controversy and Josh just wasn't having any.

Just in case you worry it's unique to us....someone asked Lamar Jackson if the 49ers provided a "blueprint" for stopping the Ravens.  Lamar looking like "whaaaaaaaaa????" and said something like "um, they're a great football team but we came out with the victory, we're not worried about someone stopping us."

I mean, Dude(ette in this case)!  The Ravens won!  You don't get to say the other team stopped us if we won!

• Thank you (+1) 2

• Hapless Bills Fan changed the title to Wednesday pressers - Josh Allen and McDermott, Lamar Jackson

Finally!  the Baltimore Press asked someone a question about the Bills!  Their OT, Orlando Brown (very well spoken guy!)

3:40 into the presser, is asked about the Bills defense.  Very smooth, named the Bills front 7 and said nice things about them and the 2ndary

https://www.baltimoreravens.com/video/orlando-brown-on-whether-foes-are-targeting-lamar-jackson

Also Michael Pierce was asked about playing in Buffalo, said Josh Allen is playing really well, they know what kind of back Gore is and Singletary is smooth.  Was asked about bringing down a QB like Josh who is big and likes to run the ball.  Said "got to be fundamentally sound, wrap him up, drive your feet, watch the penalties".

Was asked how you tune out the noise - ton of media here this week- said "I did not know that!"  ?

https://www.baltimoreravens.com/video/michael-pierce-expects-another-playoff-atmosphere-in-buffalo

OK so the Ravens OL realizes we have a defense, and the Ravens defense realizes we have 2 running backs and a big running QB.

• Thank you (+1) 2

Well, even the Josh haters can't fault JA's accuracy on handling dumb questions about the opposing team's half that he doesn't even play against.

DVOA +32

Completion % of answers = 95

I'm confused why you all edited out all the questions about how he would handle the Ravens' defense though.

Oh.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Haha (+1) 4

13 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Sean McDermott Presser

the only way running QBs last in the NFL is if they can be fond easily like RB s, so its doubtful.

12 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Finally!  the Baltimore Press asked someone a question about the Bills!  Their OT, Orlando Brown (very well spoken guy!)

3:40 into the presser, is asked about the Bills defense.  Very smooth, named the Bills front 7 and said nice things about them and the 2ndary

https://www.baltimoreravens.com/video/orlando-brown-on-whether-foes-are-targeting-lamar-jackson

Also Michael Pierce was asked about playing in Buffalo, said Josh Allen is playing really well, they know what kind of back Gore is and Singletary is smooth.  Was asked about bringing down a QB like Josh who is big and likes to run the ball.  Said "got to be fundamentally sound, wrap him up, drive your feet, watch the penalties".

Was asked how you tune out the noise - ton of media here this week- said "I did not know that!"  ?

https://www.baltimoreravens.com/video/michael-pierce-expects-another-playoff-atmosphere-in-buffalo

OK so the Ravens OL realizes we have a defense, and the Ravens defense realizes we have 2 running backs and a big running QB.

Michael Pierce ??

20 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

He wasn't asked one question about the Bills defense or any of the Bills players.

Well all righty then.  Guess I know where we stand with the Baltimore media (0)

I can't access the interview at the moment. How many questions did the Buffalo media ask Allen about the Ravens defense?

Or maybe the questions were from national media, who only seem interested in the QBs. I'm not sure who attends these pressers.

20 minutes ago, RavensFan said:

I can't access the interview at the moment. How many questions did the Buffalo media ask Allen about the Ravens defense?

Or maybe the questions were from national media, who only seem interested in the QBs. I'm not sure who attends these pressers.

The press room was packed.  It had to have included a bunch of national media and/or Baltimore media.

I did not hear Allen asked a single question about the Ravens defense or even about his own play.  It was really pretty shameful football journalism.

The questions he was asked were predominantly about Lamar, and some seemed (IMHO) designed to try to create some storyline or controversy.  I give Allen full marks for handling them very well.  He was complimentary about Lamar's QB skills, said he could make all the throws.  Said he'd met him pre-draft and a little bit after the season and complimented him personally as funny and a good guy.  Told an anecdote about watching viral Lamar Vines while playing football at Reedley with one of Lamar's cousins, and when someone tried to cast it as silver-spoon Heisman-winner Lamar vs "Fresno didn't even want you" he shut that revisionist history down HARD saying that Lamar had to overcome doubts and disparagement (my summation) until he started making plays and proved he could play and as someone who had to face some of the same he admired it (again my words, but it was to that effect). 

These were in response to question after question about Lamar. 

Again, I did not hear Allen asked a single question about his own play or about the Ravens defense and how he felt his skills matched against it.  It was all Lamar Lamar Lamar.

I thought the questions Lamar was asked were just as shameful in a different way.  He also was not asked any questions about the Bills defense.  I think they would have liked to ask him questions about Allen but he shut that down by saying he got to know "all the QB" a "little bit" pre draft and wasn't following anyone else's career, just focused on Baltimore. 

Allen made a different decision by choosing to run with the questions, but the point is the ultimate effect was to point out the Bills and Allen are zeros in the view of the press.  Not worth being asked about.

19 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

The questions he was asked were predominantly about Lamar, and some seemed (IMHO) designed to try to create some storyline or controversy.

Bingo. Because most of the press is lazy, and don't want to work for their clicks. Glad he handled them well.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, RavensFan said:

Bingo. Because most of the press is lazy, and don't want to work for their clicks. Glad he handled them well.

It was interesting to me that both for the Ravens and the Bills, the far more interesting pressers were the supporting players.  Perhaps it's because some of the "looking for controversy big name" reporters left the room, and the reporters left were actual football men and women?

Ravens OT Orlando Brown (Presser) and DT Michael Pierce (locker room) were much better interviews from a football perspective than Lamar Jackson because of the questions that were asked.  And even there, it wasn't until 3:45 into Brown's presser that someone asked him a question about Buffalo's defense.  When they did, he showed some chops, said nice things, also had thoughtful answers about a question if teams are targeting Lamar and Offensive communication while they're on the sideline.

New interviews up on Buffalo Bills:

John Brown got asked a lot about Lamar, but at least that made sense because he actually played for the Ravens and with Lamar last year:

https://www.buffalobills.com/video/john-brown-play-your-game

Micah Hyde good interview as always. 
Points out that a lot of Ds come in to the Ravens game with a good scheme, it's "getting it done" against the Ravens "well oiled machine" on offense that's the problem.

https://www.buffalobills.com/video/micah-hyde-keep-your-eyes-on-your-keys

Jon Feliciano some good stuff on Josh Allen's role in setting the protections.  "Everything out there, it's literally just Josh"  Also on playing the Ravens every year: "You know they're going to have a blitz package for you, and it's going to be something you haven't seen"

https://www.buffalobills.com/video/jon-feliciano-a-great-challenge-for-us

Shaq Lawson

"It's totally different...I kind of like playing against it because it's like college, and I had a little success with it back in the day".  Points out that doing 1/11 and not trying to do too much is key.

https://www.buffalobills.com/video/shaq-lawson-run-to-the-ball

16 minutes ago, RavensFan said:

Offer him enough money this offseason, and he'll be a Bill.

You're easily one of the more intelligent and amiable opposing team posters we've had come by. Thanks for your contributions . . . but don't forget to lose on Sunday:P

• Like (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, RavensFan said:

Offer him enough money this offseason, and he'll be a Bill.

I wouldn't mind that.  Our primary need is DE/edge, which I think that weakness will show on Sunday.