Package Delivery and Common Sense...

eball

I ordered some prime meat from Omaha Steaks and was told it would be shipped in usual Styrofoam shipping box with dry ice, etc so it would not require immediate attention.  I got an alert about delivery on email at work so I called my wife who was hope at time to look for package and less than 5 minutes after delivery there was no package.  I contacted vendor immediately and was told they have record of it being delivered to my house and I stated my wife checked and there is no package at door.  Vendor stated they will check with driver at end of delivery schedule and all packages were delivered. 

For several days I called, go questions about my honesty and finally company said they would send me replacement but I needed to sign for it (Duh! Do it first time!) and would need to go to UPS office which I did. 

A day later I had neighbor come by from up the street with package put in bushes next to front door.  Her address and ours are the same except numbers were transposed.  Opened package and everything was still cold (Good package!). Contacted Omaha Steaks manager whose name I had and as soon as he heard who it was he started bitching at me so I hung up.  Their poor customer service resulted in 2nd package not being returned but they probably would not have reused it anyways. We ended up using those Styrofoam shipping boxes for years.

16 hours ago, Augie said:

YOWZA! NBC Nightly News just said 1.7 million packages go “missing” daily. That’s insane! I wonder what % that’s is, and if it’s all stolen or just some sloppy handling?  It was a story about package theft, so the media would never mislead me, would they?

NBC "News"?  Oh, they'd never mislead you to create a sensationalized soundbite!

Missing could mean a bunch of things.  I once reported a 'missing' FedEx and it was sitting on the stoop of my side door the whole time.  :doh:

1 minute ago, KD in CA said:

NBC "News"?  Oh, they'd never mislead you to create a sensationalized soundbite!

Missing could mean a bunch of things.  I once reported a 'missing' FedEx and it was sitting on the stoop of my side door the whole time.  :doh:

I’m guessing you were NOT the neighborhood champ in Hide & Seek!     ?

But you probably STILL got a Participation Trophy! 

22 minutes ago, row_33 said:

I don't want nothing to do with packages left out for my neighbours, might get sentenced to hard time if i took them....

That is en excellent public response! Don’t make it easy on them!  You don’t want any time in The Big House! ?

2 minutes ago, Augie said:

That is en excellent public response! Don’t make it easy on them!  You don’t want any time in The Big House! ?

a few are wake and bake, so those bundles outside their doors, that people's dogs like to sniff at,  are best left alone.

2 hours ago, row_33 said:

a few are wake and bake, so those bundles outside their doors, that people's dogs like to sniff at,  are best left alone.

Have you gotten any PM’s from people on the board asking for your address? I won’t make any specific public guesses, but......I bet we have some risk takers here. 

5 minutes ago, Augie said:

Have you gotten any PM’s from people on the board asking for your address? I won’t make any specific public guesses, but......I bet we have some risk takers here. 

interesting angle...

3 hours ago, RaoulDuke79 said:

My driveway is steep and I live on a culdesac, so I'm not terribly concerned about porch pirates. On a side note, am I the only person without one of those camera doorbells?

people at work have a multi-angle home monitor on a computer screen all day long

not sure what they are hoping to find out, burglar, wife affair, kids party

Just now, row_33 said:

people at work have a multi-angle home monitor on a computer screen all day long

not sure what they are hoping to find out, burglar, wife affair, kids party

All of the above possibly.  Or maybe just voyeurs. There's not enough going on at my place to bother Although who knows, maybe if I got one of those I'd be surprised at the stuff I'd see.

• Like (+1) 1

We have a UPS box and send 95% of our packages there, but for the remaining 5% that get delivered to the house, I have a big fat sign on my front (double) storm doors to open a door and leave the package inside in the vestibule. There are still delivery people who leave packages outside of the door even with the eye-level signage.  <_<   I'm more worried about the elements than I am getting my packages stolen, however.  

And no one rings or knocks. They used to, but that stopped a few years ago.

Edited by Buffalo_Gal

1 hour ago, Buffalo_Gal said:

We have a UPS box and send 95% of our packages there, but for the remaining 5% that get delivered to the house, I have a big fat sign on my front (double) storm doors to open a door and leave the package inside in the vestibule. There are still delivery people who leave packages outside of the door even with the eye-level signage.  <_<   I'm more worried about the elements than I am getting my packages stolen, however.  

And no one rings or knocks. They used to, but that stopped a few years ago.

Whenever I have items that I don't want left out in the cold, I have them delivered to work or to my parents' house.  I haven't had a knock or a ring in years, either.

13 minutes ago, Gugny said:

Whenever I have items that I don't want left out in the cold, I have them delivered to work or to my parents' house.  I haven't had a knock or a ring in years, either.

That is so strange to me! I’m surprised there are not more company and/or industry wide standards in training and practice. 

We get a lot of stuff weekly, and I think I usually get a knock or a ring, or both. But sometimes it’s neither. It takes virtually zero effort or time, so why not lessen the risk of trouble down the road. That should come down from on high as standard procedure. 

Edited by Augie

7 hours ago, RaoulDuke79 said:

All of the above possibly.  Or maybe just voyeurs. There's not enough going on at my place to bother Although who knows, maybe if I got one of those I'd be surprised at the stuff I'd see.

many cat(s) are well paid as security to sit there and stare out the window when they aren’t snoozing

On 12/4/2019 at 1:34 PM, eball said:

This has been a peeve of mine for a while.  Why do the delivery people from certain services think it's ok to leave a package right in front of your door or otherwise in plain view for anyone to see?

The two worst offenders in my experience are UPS and Amazon Prime.  These idiots actually "throw" packages onto my front stoop and don't even bother to ring the doorbell.  I can see all of this by the alerts on my phone from my Ring doorbell.  I was once away for an entire weekend and kept checking the doorbell camera to make sure the big box in plain view was still there.

The best service in my book is FedEx.  These guys ring the doorbell and place packages behind the column on my porch where only somebody actually coming to my front door can see them.

I complained to Amazon once.  They apologized but clearly they don't make this a part of delivery training.  It's just surprising to me in this day and age.

.....I put a covered bin on my steps marked DELIVERIES and they ignore it....SMH..........