Package Delivery and Common Sense...

eball

This has been a peeve of mine for a while.  Why do the delivery people from certain services think it's ok to leave a package right in front of your door or otherwise in plain view for anyone to see?

The two worst offenders in my experience are UPS and Amazon Prime.  These idiots actually "throw" packages onto my front stoop and don't even bother to ring the doorbell.  I can see all of this by the alerts on my phone from my Ring doorbell.  I was once away for an entire weekend and kept checking the doorbell camera to make sure the big box in plain view was still there.

The best service in my book is FedEx.  These guys ring the doorbell and place packages behind the column on my porch where only somebody actually coming to my front door can see them.

I complained to Amazon once.  They apologized but clearly they don't make this a part of delivery training.  It's just surprising to me in this day and age.

Because most people aren't situationally aware, that goes for delivery people.

It's that simple.

You can leave directions on Amazon.  I specifically said, keep the delivery out of sight.  Some will do, others won't. My UPS driver is great, BTW...

5 minutes ago, KD in CA said:

Usually they knock regardless of which one is delivering, but not always.  I assume it's up to the guy.  I doubt failure to knock/ring is a fireable offense.

Exactly.  Amazon will snap a picture for you.

My personal favorite was a couple of years ago when I had a tv delivered to my house.  They left the box diagonally leaning against column on my front porch.  There were a few big problems with this:

1. It was a giant box left in the most blatantly obvious view in public sight, just screaming for anyone to take it.

2. Thanks to all the surface area on that box, any good wind gusts could have blown that thing over.

3. I didn't order a tv.

• Haha (+1) 3

Short answer, it’s cheaper for them to toss a box up there and move onto the next place instead of trying to perfectly position each one at each residence. It costs them less to replace / repair the probably very few items that end up damaged or missing than to take the extra time at each stop. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

46 minutes ago, eball said:

This has been a peeve of mine for a while.  Why do the delivery people from certain services think it's ok to leave a package right in front of your door or otherwise in plain view for anyone to see?

The two worst offenders in my experience are UPS and Amazon Prime.  These idiots actually "throw" packages onto my front stoop and don't even bother to ring the doorbell.  I can see all of this by the alerts on my phone from my Ring doorbell.  I was once away for an entire weekend and kept checking the doorbell camera to make sure the big box in plain view was still there.

The best service in my book is FedEx.  These guys ring the doorbell and place packages behind the column on my porch where only somebody actually coming to my front door can see them.

I complained to Amazon once.  They apologized but clearly they don't make this a part of delivery training.  It's just surprising to me in this day and age.

would it not behoove you to have a neighbor or short of that, a relative pick the box up for you if you're going to be out of town for an extended amount of time?

also, in my experience Fed-Ex is the worst. first of all, it is against the law for them to put any thing inside of a USPS mail box, yet they do it time after time. not to mention that they have lost more packages of mine than they have actually delivered. anytime i order something and see that Fed-Ex is the delivery option, i go out of my way to contact the vendor to see if there is an alternate delivery option, because they absolutely suck. of course, your mileage may vary.

Many years ago (~2003) I ordered a new PC from Gateway.

In an odd "this guy knows me, but I don't know him," moment, I was at work, outside smoking a butt.  UPS guy comes up to me (I had no idea who he was) and says, "Hey, Gug ... I just delivered a big package from Gateway to your house.  I figured it was some expensive computer, so I put it in your shed for you."

I thought that was pretty cool.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

First world problems.  They always leave our packages right on the doormat.  Never had a problem.

Because everyone is too stoned in Vernont to notice.

Now... If the packge had big letters written on it:

"Larry & Daryl and his other brother Daryl's Essential Oil and Yoga Pants Emporium & Head Shop"

Or if it was a smoker and @Gugny was drifting through town...

You bet your roach clip that the package would be gone in a flash!

?

• Haha (+1) 1

3 hours ago, row_33 said:

i've walked past 100s of packages on my condo floor, never once thought to take them

....until today!  ?

This should be part of the basic training for all of these delivery services. We get at least one package every day (and I return half of it weekly). I have found no rhyme or reason to where it’s placed (hidden vs displayed to tempt bad guys) or whether they ring, knock, both or neither. Just today I had FedEx knock AND ring, which I appreciated. 

We live in a one entry circle street community, and we are all close in terms of proximity. Not to say it couldn’t or hasn’t happened, but this would be a bad place to try that. We all know each other, and you know who is out of place. It’s better than nothing.... OK, one clown did leave his keys in his car, then wonder where the car went. Oops! Bad day in the neighborhood! 

This has made me realize that every time I drive up to the house I instinctively look to the front door for packages, and if I’ve been home for a few hours and go by the entry I’ll stick my head out to see if anything is there. I wonder when I started doing that? My....how the world has changed! 

Edited by Augie

2 minutes ago, Gugny said:

In an odd "this guy knows me, but I don't know him," moment, I was at work, outside smoking a butt.  UPS guy comes up to me (I had no idea who he was) and says, "Hey, Gug ... I just delivered a big package from Gateway to your house.  I figured it was some expensive computer, so I put it in your shed for you."

+1.  My UPS driver has the code to my garage. But, only the one driver I have known for years on the route. 

Our UPS guy always knocks. The Amazon Prime guy takes a photo of the package on my doorstep. Most of our FedEx packages are envelopes so he leaves them on the welcome mat. If I am expecting a package that needs a signature when I'm not around, I leave a note on the door asking that the delivery person cross the street to have my neighbor sign. He does the same. And obviously, we check with each other before leaving such a note. 

Of course I have pillars by my front door, and some outdoor furniture to help conceal packages.

• Like (+1) 1

My son recently got engaged and we were involved in sending out of state various jewelry, diamonds and eventually receiving the ring to keep the surprise. This wasn’t a pair of shoes or some vitamin supplement. I can’t tell you all the details, and the jeweler did it frequently with their procedure, but I didn’t trust it!  I usually do all the leg work because I have the time, but I was having NO part of that. Mrs Augie had to step up on that one! 

Edited by Augie

For the most part the delivery drivers near my house are pretty good. They’ll put most of the packages in the garage or on the back porch.

USPS is another story. They’ll leave a sorry we missed you tag on the mail box with out knocking or attempting to see if anyone is home. You can be sitting on your porch and they’ll rush off as you walk to the mail box.

YOWZA! NBC Nightly News just said 1.7 million packages go “missing” daily. That’s insane! I wonder what % that’s is, and if it’s all stolen or just some sloppy handling?  It was a story about package theft, so the media would never mislead me, would they?

Edited by Augie

8 hours ago, shrader said:

My personal favorite was a couple of years ago when I had a tv delivered to my house.  They left the box diagonally leaning against column on my front porch.  There were a few big problems with this:

1. It was a giant box left in the most blatantly obvious view in public sight, just screaming for anyone to take it.

2. Thanks to all the surface area on that box, any good wind gusts could have blown that thing over.

3. I didn't order a tv.

So, how’s the TV working out for you?

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Foxx said:

would it not behoove you to have a neighbor or short of that, a relative pick the box up for you if you're going to be out of town for an extended amount of time?

also, in my experience Fed-Ex is the worst. first of all, it is against the law for them to put any thing inside of a USPS mail box, yet they do it time after time. not to mention that they have lost more packages of mine than they have actually delivered. anytime i order something and see that Fed-Ex is the delivery option, i go out of my way to contact the vendor to see if there is an alternate delivery option, because they absolutely suck. of course, your mileage may vary.

My dad was a rural carrier until just a few years ago. The USPS has agreements with FedEx to deliver some certain packages on the final leg of their journey, which includes in the mailbox, so that wouldn’t be against the law. Just looked it up, it’s termed SmartPost. Just FYI. Word is that this agreement may be ending this year.

• Like (+1) 1

16 hours ago, Gugny said:

11 hours ago, Sig1Hunter said:

So, how’s the TV working out for you?

Sadly, I actually kind of like the intended recipient.