Nugget on Ron Rivera/Bills from The Athletic

JGMcD2

Love to have Rivera on our coaching staff. That man would bring a lifetime's worth of knowledge and relationships for us to leverage. I wouldn't be surprised if McD has already called him to let him know there'd be a place for him next year if he wanted it. 

Edited by VW82

4 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Respect is one thing, but if Rivera would be an option on McDermott's staff, what would be his role?

McDermott seems to have a staff that is working very well together right now on both sides of the ball.

A coach can be very talented and in theory have all the tools to really contribute, but the truth is, it's a very difficult adjustment to go from leading an organization or having a strong leadership role, to taking a lower position.  Terry Robeskie I'm sure is a fine coach and had all the knowledge to be a good WR coach for the Bills after being let go as the Titans OC, but last year our WR were NOT very good and while talent can be questioned, I have to say that part of that was coaching.  I did not see good fundamental technique.

Every coach likes to hire his friends, but McDermott should think very carefully about roles and responsibilities and how Rivera would actually contribute before bringing him in. 

Unless of course, he thinks Ron Rivera would make a top Special Teams coach ?

How was Rivera's clock/replay management?  McD could use a few pointers there.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, eball said:

Rivera stated unequivocally during his PC today that he wants and expects to coach again.  My interpretation is that he means as a HEAD coach.

His resume warrants it.  Giants, Jaguars, or Browns would be my best guess.

3 hours ago, billsfan89 said:

I don't think Rivera will have a HC opportunity in 2020. His run with the Panthers while not bad only totaled 4 playoff births in 9 seasons (with one of those playoff births coming in a 7-8-1 season) so only 3 winning seasons total. His playoff record was 3-4 which while not tragic was not very good either. 

I think it is possible some team retreads him but I would put that possibility at less than 50% significantly. I think if he wants to get back to a head coaching opportunity I think he would be best off taking on a DC opportunity with a good defense and reestablish some success in that realm and then have his pick of the opportunities in terms of coaching (right now even if he got an opportunity it wouldn't be a great chance.) 

Everyone presumed Mike McCarthy would talk into a job last hiring season. He didn't. I think Rivera will be a Head Coach again in the NFL. I am 50/50 on whether that is next season.... unless and it is a big unless.... he is willing to take the Redskins job. Because I believe they would hire him tomorrow. 

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

Everyone presumed Mike McCarthy would talk into a job last hiring season. He didn't. I think Rivera will be a Head Coach again in the NFL. I am 50/50 on whether that is next season.... unless and it is a big unless.... he is willing to take the Redskins job. Because I believe they would hire him tomorrow. 

Do you think Rivera could bring Norv Turner and family back to Washington - LOL ? 

That would be fun time.

He’s no Rob Ryan! 

Seriously, I don’t want to mess with the mix we have right now. It seems to be working just fine. We don’t need too many cooks in the kitchen this year. Let the offseason arrive, and things will sort out. 

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

I think McCarthy's resume is significantly better than Rivera's (Although Rodgers is the better QB than Cam, Cam is pretty dam good) so I think he can have the confidence that he would have a job within a year or two. I think Rivera will get offers but they will be for less than ideal franchises/situations. IF Rivera wants to improve his chances at getting the right job he would better be served to go back to being a DC for a really good defense for a couple of years. Whereas McCarthy I think will get a lot of solid offers without having to take another job. 

7 hours ago, Reed83HOF said:

Tepper was part of the Steelers and he wants to start fresh and move away from Jerry Richardson people in Carolina. 

Kevin Colbert's contract is expiring this year and they have not offered him an extension. 

Interesting, I forgot he was part of the Steelers.

I have thought for a little while now that if Colbert went somewhere else he might be able to get Cowher out of retirement. Those two together could pick some players.

I don’t see what role Rivera would fit here, not to say he wouldn’t be welcome. I’m assuming he’d get the assistant head coach label/special advisor or something along those lines. This being McD’s 3rd year as head coach, building a successful program, I’m not sure I want another voice in his head, he seems to be doing a good job and coming into his own. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Respect is one thing, but if Rivera would be an option on McDermott's staff, what would be his role?

McDermott seems to have a staff that is working very well together right now on both sides of the ball.

A coach can be very talented and in theory have all the tools to really contribute, but the truth is, it's a very difficult adjustment to go from leading an organization or having a strong leadership role, to taking a lower position.  Terry Robeskie I'm sure is a fine coach and had all the knowledge to be a good WR coach for the Bills after being let go as the Titans OC, but last year our WR were NOT very good and while talent can be questioned, I have to say that part of that was coaching.  I did not see good fundamental technique.

Every coach likes to hire his friends, but McDermott should think very carefully about roles and responsibilities and how Rivera would actually contribute before bringing him in. 

Unless of course, he thinks Ron Rivera would make a top Special Teams coach ?

That's what I wonder.  Rivera began his NFL career as a linebacker, In Buddy Ryan's defense back when Ryan was the DC for Iron Mike Ditka.  I'm not sure what kind of defensive scheme he is most comfortable coaching.  Ryan's defense was a lot different from the one Sean  McDermott has developed from his tutelage under Jim Johnson.  However Les Frazier was also on that Chicago team from the mid-80s and he certainly doesn't seem to prefer the Buddy Ryan 46 defense.  

3 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

It’s been said before that sometimes the best thing for a coach leaving one position is a year off to decompress and reflect, good and bad, on what happened

9 hours ago, T master said:

I just hope that because the Bills are doing well this year & the fact that there will be what looks like a bunch of open HC ing jobs that the Bills staff doesn't get gutted this off season !!

Daboll? Frazier? I wouldn't lose any sleep over it.

Excellent piece and I'm not sure Rivera would accept a DC role, but I'd take him in a heartbeat over Frazier.

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Coach Tuesday said:

Wonder if Dan Morgan would be a candidate there for GM or head of football ops or something that would be a promotion.

Yeah this scares me. Rivera will come after a few guys off of the Bills personnel. 

10 hours ago, njodogg said:

I'd bring him on as an adviser the rest of the season. If Frazier is a HC candidate this off season, he could slide into a DC role if Frazier left.. 

I don't think you'll have to worry about Frazier being a HC candidate this offseason.  I'm sure enough owners and GMs around the NFL remember his tenure in Minnesota, which wasn't that great.  I also have to believe that the defense's success is more a result of McD (who built it) than Frazier (who calls the plays.)

23 hours ago, JGMcD2 said:

I know Ron Rivera is being discussed in a few different places but I came across this and found it interesting. Some will probably say “yeah, we know they’re close. ‘The Carolina Connection’ DUH!” but I wanted to share. 

Jourdan Rodrigue wrote an article on The Athletic about the firing of Ron Rivera. She talks a lot about how he values people and cultivating relationships... so much so that he decided to move his office from upstairs to a much less impressive space down near the locker room shortly after he became the head coach in Carolina. 

She then touches on WHAT he keeps in his office and the fact that he’s a “collector of objects” but solely because of the people they were attached to. The first item she mentions is “ former intern Brandon Beane’s building access card pinned to the large bulletin board over his desk.“

I thought this was cool. There’s obviously so much respect between the parties. It is too hard to speculate and I think Ron Rivera would be a solid HC choice for many teams but this little nugget tells me he would actually be an option here on McDermott’s staff. It seems that everyone Beane and McDermott work with have a high level of appreciation for them. Small things like these continue to solidify in my mind that we have the right staff.

This respect across the league gives me the feeling that we will continue to be able to recruit rising stars on the coaching and administrative side for as long as Beane and McDermott are here (Gil Brandt tweeted on Thanksgiving about how we have some of the best front office and coaching personnel in the league - specifically highlighting Dan Morgan, Joe Schoen and Brian Daboll). 

I’m going to shut up now... but didn’t know how many people would’ve come across that article and figured it would be an interesting point of discussion. 

He actually keeps that as a trophy of that time he got a 3rd round pick from Beane for an overweight McDonalds employee.