Nugget on Ron Rivera/Bills from The Athletic

JGMcD2

I know Ron Rivera is being discussed in a few different places but I came across this and found it interesting. Some will probably say “yeah, we know they’re close. ‘The Carolina Connection’ DUH!” but I wanted to share. 

Jourdan Rodrigue wrote an article on The Athletic about the firing of Ron Rivera. She talks a lot about how he values people and cultivating relationships... so much so that he decided to move his office from upstairs to a much less impressive space down near the locker room shortly after he became the head coach in Carolina. 

She then touches on WHAT he keeps in his office and the fact that he’s a “collector of objects” but solely because of the people they were attached to. The first item she mentions is “ former intern Brandon Beane’s building access card pinned to the large bulletin board over his desk.“

I thought this was cool. There’s obviously so much respect between the parties. It is too hard to speculate and I think Ron Rivera would be a solid HC choice for many teams but this little nugget tells me he would actually be an option here on McDermott’s staff. It seems that everyone Beane and McDermott work with have a high level of appreciation for them. Small things like these continue to solidify in my mind that we have the right staff.

This respect across the league gives me the feeling that we will continue to be able to recruit rising stars on the coaching and administrative side for as long as Beane and McDermott are here (Gil Brandt tweeted on Thanksgiving about how we have some of the best front office and coaching personnel in the league - specifically highlighting Dan Morgan, Joe Schoen and Brian Daboll). 

I’m going to shut up now... but didn’t know how many people would’ve come across that article and figured it would be an interesting point of discussion. 

• Like (+1) 19
  • Thank you (+1) 7

I just hope that because the Bills are doing well this year & the fact that there will be what looks like a bunch of open HC ing jobs that the Bills staff doesn't get gutted this off season !!

Stability within the coaching ranks is huge to keeping a team on the path to being a contender yr after yr & i hope the Bills can keep the majority of the coaches they have on staff because D coach Frazier has had HC ing experience & has done well here & then the bit of talk that Dabol could be a consideration for a HC position could gain ground if the Bills continue to do well .

Not to mention if the Jags change their front office personnel there could be more loses with in the Bills building lets hope they look elsewhere ! 

• Like (+1) 2

Good observation.

What we are experiencing now we haven't had possibly since the Levy-Polian era, a stable HC and GM that are functional and work together hopefully building into long germ stability..  Equally important we have committed owners not afraid to spend and invest.

The Bills just didnt suck for  two decades  because of bad luck.

And overall Ron Rivera did a pretty good job in his tenure.  

Edited by RoyBatty is alive
  • Like (+1) 3

19 minutes ago, JGMcD2 said:

I know Ron Rivera is being discussed in a few different places but I came across this and found it interesting. Some will probably say “yeah, we know they’re close. ‘The Carolina Connection’ DUH!” but I wanted to share. 

Jourdan Rodrigue wrote an article on The Athletic about the firing of Ron Rivera. She talks a lot about how he values people and cultivating relationships... so much so that he decided to move his office from upstairs to a much less impressive space down near the locker room shortly after he became the head coach in Carolina. 

She then touches on WHAT he keeps in his office and the fact that he’s a “collector of objects” but solely because of the people they were attached to. The first item she mentions is “ former intern Brandon Beane’s building access card pinned to the large bulletin board over his desk.“

I thought this was cool. There’s obviously so much respect between the parties. It is too hard to speculate and I think Ron Rivera would be a solid HC choice for many teams but this little nugget tells me he would actually be an option here on McDermott’s staff. It seems that everyone Beane and McDermott work with have a high level of appreciation for them. Small things like these continue to solidify in my mind that we have the right staff.

This respect across the league gives me the feeling that we will continue to be able to recruit rising stars on the coaching and administrative side for as long as Beane and McDermott are here (Gil Brandt tweeted on Thanksgiving about how we have some of the best front office and coaching personnel in the league - specifically highlighting Dan Morgan, Joe Schoen and Brian Daboll). 

I’m going to shut up now... but didn’t know how many people would’ve come across that article and figured it would be an interesting point of discussion. 

Respect is one thing, but if Rivera would be an option on McDermott's staff, what would be his role?

McDermott seems to have a staff that is working very well together right now on both sides of the ball.

A coach can be very talented and in theory have all the tools to really contribute, but the truth is, it's a very difficult adjustment to go from leading an organization or having a strong leadership role, to taking a lower position.  Terry Robeskie I'm sure is a fine coach and had all the knowledge to be a good WR coach for the Bills after being let go as the Titans OC, but last year our WR were NOT very good and while talent can be questioned, I have to say that part of that was coaching.  I did not see good fundamental technique.

Every coach likes to hire his friends, but McDermott should think very carefully about roles and responsibilities and how Rivera would actually contribute before bringing him in. 

Unless of course, he thinks Ron Rivera would make a top Special Teams coach ?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

Wonder if Dan Morgan would be a candidate there for GM or head of football ops or something that would be a promotion.

ONLY if the owners hears about it from within the franchise......he sounds like he wants to start over completely. But it's a good choice and thought.

7 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

Wonder if Dan Morgan would be a candidate there for GM or head of football ops or something that would be a promotion.

Tepper was part of the Steelers and he wants to start fresh and move away from Jerry Richardson people in Carolina. 

Kevin Colbert's contract is expiring this year and they have not offered him an extension. 

Edited by Reed83HOF

13 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

I would be upset to see this happen as I think Dan Morgan does a fantastic job. 

To my point above on us being able to procure high end administrative talent... Dan was hired to replace Brian Gaine after he left to become the GM of the Texans two years ago. 

Due to Bill O’Brien getting his desired control, Gaine was let go, and we scooped him back up. If Dan were to leave... we have his replacement in-house. Not only does he have experience in the role but he ran the show himself now too in Houston. 

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Respect is one thing, but if Rivera would be an option on McDermott's staff, what would be his role?

McDermott seems to have a staff that is working very well together right now on both sides of the ball.

A coach can be very talented and in theory have all the tools to really contribute, but the truth is, it's a very difficult adjustment to go from leading an organization or having a strong leadership role, to taking a lower position.  Terry Robeskie I'm sure is a fine coach and had all the knowledge to be a good WR coach for the Bills after being let go as the Titans OC, but last year our WR were NOT very good and while talent can be questioned, I have to say that part of that was coaching.  I did not see good fundamental technique.

Every coach likes to hire his friends, but McDermott should think very carefully about roles and responsibilities and how Rivera would actually contribute before bringing him in. 

Unless of course, he thinks Ron Rivera would make a top Special Teams coach ?

Linebackers coach, naturally

• Like (+1) 1

I said this in a different thread, but I could see him coming  in for the rest of this season as a front office assistant doing self scouting.

I don’t think McDermott wants to change the dynamic of his staff, but I could see them asking Rivera to use his coaching eye to help out with self scouting from an outsider perspective.  He wouldn’t have to move local and can look for trends that a coach might see and how to use those trends to show one thing and spring another.

I know that Rivera would rather be a HC, but a chance to step back and rebuild and regenerate would be a huge help long term.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, eball said:

Rivera stated unequivocally during his PC today that he wants and expects to coach again.  My interpretation is that he means as a HEAD coach.

And he will probably be one again, likely next season. I have no idea if it's the same article unfortunately but I just read some chatter yesterday about him joining us a possible consultant now. I imagine it would be short-term and through the playoffs only.

Edited by Nelius

2 hours ago, eball said:

Rivera stated unequivocally during his PC today that he wants and expects to coach again.  My interpretation is that he means as a HEAD coach.

I don't think Rivera will have a HC opportunity in 2020. His run with the Panthers while not bad only totaled 4 playoff births in 9 seasons (with one of those playoff births coming in a 7-8-1 season) so only 3 winning seasons total. His playoff record was 3-4 which while not tragic was not very good either. 

I think it is possible some team retreads him but I would put that possibility at less than 50% significantly. I think if he wants to get back to a head coaching opportunity I think he would be best off taking on a DC opportunity with a good defense and reestablish some success in that realm and then have his pick of the opportunities in terms of coaching (right now even if he got an opportunity it wouldn't be a great chance.) 

29 minutes ago, Rochesterfan said:

I said this in a different thread, but I could see him coming  in for the rest of this season as a front office assistant doing self scouting.

I don’t think McDermott wants to change the dynamic of his staff, but I could see them asking Rivera to use his coaching eye to help out with self scouting from an outsider perspective.  He wouldn’t have to move local and can look for trends that a coach might see and how to use those trends to show one thing and spring another.

I know that Rivera would rather be a HC, but a chance to step back and rebuild and regenerate would be a huge help long term.

This is exactly what I was thinking. He could basically use his experience on he defensive side of the ball and be able to say "Okay so if I were trying to stop your offense, I would do X Y and Z" and as an outsider, maybe Z was a thing the coaching staff might not have considered.