Would McDermott entertain a Charlotte offer

Paul Costa

If I am in McDermott's shoes I definitely am more loyal to the Bills for giving me a shot to prove I am HC material over the team that would of kept me at defensive coordinator until it was time to clean house. 

The Panthers probably wouldn't have never made him a HC if he just stayed in place. 

Edited by Lfod

17 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

The better question is, would Terry entertain a trade of his head coach?  I raised this possibility last offseason - if Tepper or Jerry Jones offered a first or two firsts for McD, would Terry make that trade?  I don’t think Tepper wants a defensive coach so it’s probably moot but it’s not an unprecedented event, it happened with Gruden.  It’s not entirely out of the realm of possibility.

no

8 minutes ago, Sherlock Holmes said:

Better send us Kuechly and McCaffrey 1st then we might think about it...

that might be tough to turn down, but it would still derail this team.

23 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

The better question is, would Terry entertain a trade of his head coach?  I raised this possibility last offseason - if Tepper or Jerry Jones offered a first or two firsts for McD, would Terry make that trade?  I don’t think Tepper wants a defensive coach so it’s probably moot but it’s not an unprecedented event, it happened with Gruden.  It’s not entirely out of the realm of possibility.

After having Rex Ryan as a HC I wouldnt think Terry would entertain letting McDermott go. 

Edited by Lfod

IF McD were available and had a choice, I still think he would stay here. 

1 - His level of control and influence within this organization is pretty high.  I don’t think he gets much pushback on anything.  

2 - He got to pick his GM and that relationship is solid.  That’s not always a sure thing where you go

3 - Charlotte was only his home while he worked there.  I think he’s entrenched himself way more into this community already

4 - If Allen and his picks work out, this team is built for the next decade and possibly AFC East dominance with Brady falling off.  He’d be a God here.  

• Thank you (+1) 1

I would have to consider this a growth period for Beane and McDermott. Carolina will always be their roots, and I am sure that they are grateful for the opportunity that Carolina gave them, but maybe there is no turning back now. 

6 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

Probably not.  For two first round picks, would you do it?

Not if I think I have my Quarterback and one would guess the Bills believe they do. The right GM, HC and QB are worth more than a couple of first round draft picks. 

• Like (+1) 1

I don't believe at any point McDermott would even entertain the thought. He loves this city, he loves this team, he loves the players, he loves the guys he works with, and all he does is talk about how special it is what they are building here. 

4 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

Probably not.  For two first round picks, would you do it?

You have to make a move like that with the understanding that some Bills fans are also McDermott fans. Let's just say it would upset some people. If it lead to a more improved team people would get over it. 

If you make that move and the team trends downward you know the pitchforks and torches come out. 

10 minutes ago, H2o said:

I don't believe at any point McDermott would even entertain the thought. He loves this city, he loves this team, he loves the players, he loves the guys he works with, and all he does is talk about how special it is what they are building here. 

3 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

There’s something called a contract

Again, the question isn't for McD, it's for Terry...

2 minutes ago, Lfod said:

You have to make a move like that with the understanding that some Bills fans are also McDermott fans. Let's just say it would upset some people. If it lead to a more improved team people would get over it. 

If you make that move and the team trends downward you know the pitchforks and torches come out. 

Oakland traded Gruden to Tampa and then lost to him in the Super Bowl - can you imagine??

Edited by Coach Tuesday
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

Highly doubt that.  Neither one of them had that kind of leverage.

I agree and doubt they do. With that said I've seen a never ending crazy things happen between my sports teams over the years. With the Bills Chuck Knox and St Doug come to mind.

1 hour ago, 17islongenough said:

This guy works in Charlotte. 

Doesn’t matter. McDermott and Beane signed 5 year deals in Buffalo and Carolina will have a new coach long before mcdermott’s deal expires. 

https://billswire.usatoday.com/2017/05/09/new-gm-brandon-beanes-contract-matches-sean-mcdermotts-in-length/

Unless Terry Pegula lets him out of his contract, he can’t leave even if he wanted to (I don’t think he wants to btw).