Baltimore Ravens vs. Buffalo Bills: 4 advanced stats that could tell the story

HOUSE

1 hour ago, Gugny said:

From what I've seen, he's not much of a lobber.  He throws accurate darts to his large targets in the middle of the field - but not deep.

I agree with this but i'll add that its absurd how open his targets are. not just on the broken plays either. roman is scheming guys comically open.... I think Jackson has thrown well. I also don't think the degree of difficulty on his throws has been very high. 

I guess the challenge is finding a way to limit those wide open players and sifting through all the deception they use to do it. 

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, MJS said:

So basically stop them on offense, haha.

basically what the niners did.  he threw for 105 yards, they only ran for 160 yards i think.  they normally have over 200 yards rushing and 100 more pass yards.  not stop them, slow them down and take away huge runs.  lamar's longest run was 14 yards so they took away the highlight runs.  ingram had like 60 yards.  

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, RyanC883 said:

key will be haivng a spy on Jackson (Edmonds or Milano), and having great CB and safety play.  do that, and we should be able to contain their offense. 

ALSO, WE ARE A KEY.  LETS BE LOUD AT THE GAME.  12TH MAN TIME!!!!

Spying Jackson with a linebacker might not work. I wonder if they could spy with a guy like Taron Johnson.

3 hours ago, HOUSE said:

NFL NextGen Stats provided the numbers

that show the Ravens rank 31st out of 32 NFL teams when it comes to stopping runners outside of the tackles. When opponents avoid Baltimore’s big run-stuffers like Brandon Williams and Michel Pierce, they often find success testing the Ravens’ thin group of outside linebackers.

https://www.pennlive.com/baltimore-ravens/2019/12/baltimore-ravens-vs-buffalo-bills-4-advanced-stats-that-could-tell-the-story.html

Jet Sweep - fakes/ reverse etc etc and screen pass if we can ever setup correctly

2 hours ago, Rockinon said:

Josh rolling out as well.  Going to be an interesting game. I don't think they can stop our speedy receivers either. The best defense against this team is an efficient offense. Long sustained drives that keep our defense rested, and of course ending in TDs. If our D can get a couple of key stops in this game, the offense can pull ahead. Put the pressure on Lamar's arm. Make him play to our strength....stopping the pass.  They can absolutely be beaten. Have to admit though, this ain't going to be easy. Hope the D did their homework on those run concepts with that extra time.

I think this is it. Their defense looks good because they are hardly on the field- that offense just drains clock. It is so demoralizing, which is part of the reason they look so dominant (that and the ridiculous amount of points they score). 

You have to get ahead of them. This is a good game to open the game receiving the kick off. I don't think we can come from behind. If we are behind, the game is over. 

22 minutes ago, JoshAllenHasBigHands said:

This is a good game to open the game receiving the kick off.

Agreed. I would almost always defer to the 2nd half but I'd make an exception for this one. If they get a lead of more than 7 points they can control the whole game. We can't afford a slow start. The Ravens are not built to come from behind.

The Raven's D caught fire once we traded for Marcus Peters. At the same time, our other starting CB Jimmy Smith came back from injury. The scary thing is Marlon Humphrey is our #1 corner, Jimmy Smith #2, and Marcus Peters #3. We basically have 3 #1 corner's, plus Earl Thomas roaming back there. Also, a major surprise is our 6th round pick safety, Chuck Clark who has been a major upgrade over Tony Jefferson. Having that strong of a secondary is what allows the Ravens the freedom to blitz on over 50% of their defensive snaps. The one weakness the Ravens do have, like the article pointed out, is runs along the edge. Our defensive ends are good at setting the edge, but we struggle against teams that have a good fullback and good blocking tight end, like the 49ers have. Do the bills have a good blocking tight end or fullback?

4 minutes ago, LJs Bodyguard said:

The Raven's D caught fire once we traded for Marcus Peters. At the same time, our other starting CB Jimmy Smith came back from injury. The scary thing is Marlon Humphrey is our #1 corner, Jimmy Smith #2, and Marcus Peters #3. We basically have 3 #1 corner's, plus Earl Thomas roaming back there. Also, a major surprise is our 6th round pick safety, Chuck Clark who has been a major upgrade over Tony Jefferson. Having that strong of a secondary is what allows the Ravens the freedom to blitz on over 50% of their defensive snaps. The one weakness the Ravens do have, like the article pointed out, is runs along the edge. Our defensive ends are good at setting the edge, but we struggle against teams that have a good fullback and good blocking tight end, like the 49ers have. Do the bills have a good blocking tight end or fullback?

https://lmgtfy.com/?q=Bills+fullbacks+and+tight+ends

10 hours ago, TigerJ said:

The outside runs stuck out to me in the San Francisco game.  The 49ers hardly even tried to run inside, but attacked the perimeter a lot.  When you look at their interior defensive linemen and their outside linebackers, it's easy to see why.  Frank Gore should have another light week.

Good observation!