Baltimore Ravens vs. Buffalo Bills: 4 advanced stats that could tell the story

HOUSE

NFL NextGen Stats provided the numbers

that show the Ravens rank 31st out of 32 NFL teams when it comes to stopping runners outside of the tackles. When opponents avoid Baltimore’s big run-stuffers like Brandon Williams and Michel Pierce, they often find success testing the Ravens’ thin group of outside linebackers.

https://www.pennlive.com/baltimore-ravens/2019/12/baltimore-ravens-vs-buffalo-bills-4-advanced-stats-that-could-tell-the-story.html

• Like (+1) 4

1 hour ago, BehindTheWoodshed said:

Man, I just want Sunday to be here already.

Welcome to the board, we are giving out special awards today.

Image result for leg lamp gif
Edited by HOUSE
  • Haha (+1) 4

47 minutes ago, HOUSE said:

that show the Ravens rank 31st out of 32 NFL teams when it comes to stopping runners outside of the tackles. When opponents avoid Baltimore’s big run-stuffers like Brandon Williams and Michel Pierce, they often find success testing the Ravens’ thin group of outside linebackers.

https://www.pennlive.com/baltimore-ravens/2019/12/baltimore-ravens-vs-buffalo-bills-4-advanced-stats-that-could-tell-the-story.html

So,  no runs up the middle then ...  If it were only so simple.  

• Haha (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, BehindTheWoodshed said:

Hopefully not a box of the cinnamon bacon doughnut cereal that John Murphy eats, yuck.

What? What kind of cereal is this and how do you know Murph eats it?

Knowing how NFL game plans often go, we'll probably run up the middle exclusively since they'll be expecting us to attack the edge.

• Haha (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Giuseppe Tognarelli said:

What? What kind of cereal is this and how do you know Murph eats it?

Knowing how NFL game plans often go, we'll probably run up the middle exclusively since they'll be expecting us to attack the edge.

https://www.twobillsdrive.com/community/topic/221052-wegman’s-re-launching-flutie-flakes-for-ravens-game/page/2/#comments

Oh, they are Maple Bacon Doughnuts, my mistake. So they probably taste great.

• Haha (+1) 1

Josh rolling out as well.  Going to be an interesting game. I don't think they can stop our speedy receivers either. The best defense against this team is an efficient offense. Long sustained drives that keep our defense rested, and of course ending in TDs. If our D can get a couple of key stops in this game, the offense can pull ahead. Put the pressure on Lamar's arm. Make him play to our strength....stopping the pass.  They can absolutely be beaten. Have to admit though, this ain't going to be easy. Hope the D did their homework on those run concepts with that extra time.

Edited by Rockinon
grammar
  • Like (+1) 2

59 minutes ago, HOUSE said:

If I'm reading this right, this stat applies to attempts.  What would be the stat per completions?  Anyone?

That really doesn't pass the eyeball test to what I see as Buffalo's success in the pass game

3) Josh Allen averages 9 intended air yards per pass

Many of the toughest opponents the Ravens have faced during their winning streak — like the Steelers, Patriots and 49ers — center their offenses around short passes. The Bills are different.

Buffalo likes to lean on the running game and then let Allen air the ball out deep. His 9 air yards per pass attempt are tied for the sixth most in the NFL, according to NextGen Stats, and it helps that Allen has a target at his disposal like wide receiver John Brown.

The former Raven has averaged 14.5 yards per catch this season and helps the Bills stretch the field.

Baltimore cornerbacks Marcus Peters, Jimmy Smith and Marlon Humphrey will face a challenge Sunday.

• Like (+1) 2

39 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

If I'm reading this right, this stat applies to attempts.  What would be the stat per completions?  Anyone?

That really doesn't pass the eyeball test to what I see as Buffalo's success in the pass game

3) Josh Allen averages 9 intended air yards per pass

Many of the toughest opponents the Ravens have faced during their winning streak — like the Steelers, Patriots and 49ers — center their offenses around short passes. The Bills are different.

Buffalo likes to lean on the running game and then let Allen air the ball out deep. His 9 air yards per pass attempt are tied for the sixth most in the NFL, according to NextGen Stats, and it helps that Allen has a target at his disposal like wide receiver John Brown.

The former Raven has averaged 14.5 yards per catch this season and helps the Bills stretch the field.

Baltimore cornerbacks Marcus Peters, Jimmy Smith and Marlon Humphrey will face a challenge Sunday.

https://nextgenstats.nfl.com/stats/passing#average-completed-yards

Josh's completed air yards are 6.2 (9th).  League leader is Stafford with 8.3.  Jackson = 6.5.

Edited by Gugny
  • Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Gugny said:

https://nextgenstats.nfl.com/stats/passing#average-completed-yards

Josh's completed air yards are 6.2.  League leader is Stafford with 8.3.  Jackson = 6.5.

I have not sees any Ravens games. but in the highlights I saw a lot of guys open down field IMO because the defenses were too worried about him running leaving guys open so Lamont could lob the ball to them.  

You lob a ball in the direction of White, Hyde or Poyer ... watch out 

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, SlimShady'sGhost said:

I have not sees any Ravens games. but in the highlights I saw a lot of guys open down field IMO because the defenses were too worried about him running leaving guys open so Lamont could lob the ball to them.  

You lob a ball in the direction of White, Hyde or Poyer ... watch out 

From what I've seen, he's not much of a lobber.  He throws accurate darts to his large targets in the middle of the field - but not deep.

• Like (+1) 3

There are two stats that matters to me:

1. For the year, Jackson is averaging  6.8 YPC and 84 YPG, and over their 8 game winning streak, he is averaging 7.11 YPC and 92 YPG. They need to limit him to under 6 YPC and 50 yards for the game.

2. The Ravens are the number one blitzing team in the NFL and it isn't even close. They blitz on 52% of QB dropbacks. While Allen has gotten better over the last three weeks, for the season, he has only completed 57% of his passes when blitzed for 8 TDs and 3 INTs, and 15 of his 27 sacks have come on blitzes. If Daboll and Allen try to dial up longer developing, deeper routes, like they did in the NE game, then it will be a long game. This is a game for the quick, short to intermediate routes and for Allen to use his legs a little more.

Edit:

3. I will add a couple more stats. The Ravens are number 1 in yards per drive and  points per drive - and when they get inside the opponent's 40 yard line, they score points. They have failed to score points on only 4 drives inside the 40 all year (by contrast, the Bills have failed to score on 30 drives inside the opponent's 40). The Bills defense is going to have to find a way to limit longer, sustained drives by the Ravens.

Edited by billsfan1959
  • Like (+1) 3

50 minutes ago, Gugny said:

From what I've seen, he's not much of a lobber.  He throws accurate darts to his large targets in the middle of the field - but not deep.

This is EXACTLY what I have seen. He throws to the middle of the field really well, and usually guys are wide open. He hasn't shown a lot of deep balls, or most importantly, passes to the outside. Defense needs to scheme up a way to force those outside throws....jam the middle of the field with LBs and move the safeties up inside the hash to take away as many middle field throws as possible. Should be the focus on stopping the passing game. The run game is another issue, but hopefully those ideas go hand in hand. Crowd the box/the middle and dare Lamar to be able to beat you over the top. I don't know that he can. Their offense is plenty dangerous without having to do that though. Gotta force them into trying that if possible 

• Like (+1) 2

The outside runs stuck out to me in the San Francisco game.  The 49ers hardly even tried to run inside, but attacked the perimeter a lot.  When you look at their interior defensive linemen and their outside linebackers, it's easy to see why.  Frank Gore should have another light week.

• Thank you (+1) 1