Here's a premature question: who will be our OC next year?

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

7 hours ago, transplantbillsfan said:

Seems Daboll is hitting his stride. Went upstairs and is managing a no huddle with run n shoot concepts while talking in Allen's ear as long as he can.

As much as I have been up and down with my feelings of him, it seems he's figured something out. Plus, he and Allen seem to work really well together. And of course the reputation Allen had coming into the league will only enhance his stock.

And then with Rivera fired and our QB coach with Carolina connections, there's this:

So if both of those guys are gone, who the hell is our OC next season???

Daboll in booth > Daboll on field.  I was ready to dump Sideline Brian in week 6 but I love me some Booth Brian.

1 hour ago, T master said:

If by chance Dabol gets the call from another team i would immediately put Dorsey in charge of the offense, that would keep some sort of stability for Allen & the guy has been a QB for ever .

It seems that that would be the natural progression to give him the reigns seeing as he is familiar with the players & the scheme ...

One of the biggest reasons young QB's fail in the NFL is due to coaching changes, the Bills have several QB's that turned to crap due to that so i would hope they would promote Dorsey if Dabol leaves but him being a homer I'm not sure he would leave .

I think folks are underestimating the value of that. Allen keeps improving and Daboll is riding high in his hometown. Pair that with the Pegulas having enough cash to match monetary offers, and I doubt he leaves unless it’s his dream HC job or close to it. As a result I think we can rule out any crappy franchises without a franchise level talent at QB. Simply put, Daboll can afford to wait which is rare in the NFL. 

As great as Daboll and Frazier are, I don't see either going anywhere.  Likely both get a raise.  But on the DC side, I think Butler from the Steelers gets poached before Frazier.  Frazier was not a great HC.  He may profile as a Dick LeBeau type DC (i.e. Hall of Fame DC).  Daboll will need another year at this level before getting HC offers, and I can't see our QB coach being a HC candidate.  Perhaps OC somewhere, but HC seems like a stretch.  

1 hour ago, T master said:

One of the biggest reasons young QB's fail in the NFL is due to coaching changes, the Bills have several QB's that turned to crap due to that so i would hope they would promote Dorsey if Dabol leaves but him being a homer I'm not sure he would leave .

The better question would be wouldn’t Daboll leave? He’s been absolutely everywhere. His area connections didn’t stop him from taking any other opening. 
74769550-201-B-48-B8-8-D24-D790513807-FE

5 hours ago, Rochesterfan said:

I am not overly worried about it.  They just got rid of Rivera and want to move on from that staff - why would they go back into his former staff to hire a new HC. 

I think Daboll gets some looks, but I think he is back.  I think he is a bit to much like Kitchens in Cleveland - very expressive and brash and I think that will turn off a few teams. 

I think Dorsey could get some looks at OC, but I think the Bills will offer a bit of a raise and unless he gets a perfect fit - I think he will be back. 

I am hoping the failure of Kitchens, Gase (although he will be back), Nagy, Gruden, etc.  that teams will realize that it is less about finding the next McVay and more about finding a leader and letting the OC and DC be your McVay.  

We will see.

So I guess my answer to your question would be - I expect our OC next year to be ........... Daboll with Dorsey as Assistant OC and QB coach.

Because Rivera has been exposed since losing most of his staff to Bills/McDermott. Carolina hindsight says they should have cleaned house and promoted Beane/McD when they had the chance.

I half-expect Brian Gaine to land one of the open GM jobs, and take a portion of the Bills staff with him. Carolina makes sense for Tepper to get the old, successful band back together. But could also see him landing in Atlanta (and still take a portion of our staff).

6 hours ago, Dkollidas said:

I don’t think he gets picked up. Frazier might be more likely. Could especially see a team like Carolina looking into Frazier.

Daboll might get some interviews, but even with 7-8 jobs opening, I could see Rivera(1) and Garrett (2) taking other head coaching positions. Then Greg Roman(3) will likely get a job. I could see a team saying “listen, draft Jaylen Hurts and do the same thing for us so we don’t have to trade everything to move up in the 1st round). I could definitely see Saleh (4) from the 49’ers getting a head job. Mike McCarthy (5) will likely be brought in to coach a team as well 
Then there’s a list of guys like Pete Carmichael (OC New Orleans), Kevin Stefanski (OC, Minnesota), Eric Bienamy (OC, Kansas City), Nick Sirianni (OC, Indianapolis) who could be candidates as well 

Then sprinkle in a college coach or two and you’re done before you get to our happy little mustachioed Daboll. 

I think Garrett is plutonium, at least not an NFL HC for a couple years....Ron Rivera, sure he could get another gig.

Daboll. I think our fans place higher valuer on him than the outside world. But who knows - anything can happen. We have seen plenty of people get hired because the story of how smart they are without stats that support the story. Sometimes the story is right and sometimes the stats are right. 

1 hour ago, ngbills said:

Daboll. I think our fans place higher valuer on him than the outside world. But who knows - anything can happen. We have seen plenty of people get hired because the story of how smart they are without stats that support the story. Sometimes the story is right and sometimes the stats are right. 

I think Daboll won't be a HC candidate in 2020 either. I think he needs another season to sort of prove sustained success and continued development with Allen. I think there is a 90% chance he is the OC in 2020. If Josh is a top 10 QB and the offense rolls then he will get looks. But then again things in the NFL can be whacky. I would never have thought Lynn would have been picked up by the Chargers after his short and OK run here. 

Daboll wants to see the Bills win a Super Bowl as much as any fan on this board.

Beane and McDermott will give him all the tools he needs to have the offense hold up it's end to do just that.

He's not going anywhere next year.

His time for a HC job will come in time.