Here's a premature question: who will be our OC next year?

5 hours ago, transplantbillsfan said:

Seems Daboll is hitting his stride. Went upstairs and is managing a no huddle with run n shoot concepts while talking in Allen's ear as long as he can.

As much as I have been up and down with my feelings of him, it seems he's figured something out. Plus, he and Allen seem to work really well together. And of course the reputation Allen had coming into the league will only enhance his stock.

And then with Rivera fired and our QB coach with Carolina connections, there's this:

So if both of those guys are gone, who the hell is our OC next season???

Both will be here next year. 

The team that should be planning for life after their OC is Ravens. 

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

14 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I am not sure on Shurmer. I think he should be done. I am just not sure. The Mara's tend to fire a year later than they should do.... Dallas I just forgot to write. In my head they were there haha. 

As for candidates - yes, Kris Richard will get looks again and this might be his year. Jim Harbaugh to Carolina would not surprise me at all. Not sure how many of the other possible openings he is a fit for. I'd be surprised if Ryan Day jumps from Ohio State after just one year. Agree that he will want to coach in the NFL at some point, but he is young it isn't a now or never situation. Urban Meyer is interesting. Especially in Dallas. Not sure he would go to Washington because that is set up to fail, even with Dwayne Haskins. 

I'd bet the house that Shurmur is done in NY. He's 7-21 as Giants HC the last two seasons. That's absolutely putrid. I don't think the Giants brass waits another year to see if he can right the ship. I don't know if Day jumps to the NFL either, but I expect the Skins to make an attempt because of his ties to Haskins, the same reason I could see them attempting to go after Meyer. There was a story at the beginning of October saying that Brian Kelly was on a few NFL teams' radar as far as their HC positions, noting that those same teams feel he is very underrated as a HC. The Redskins were mentioned as one of those teams. Urban Meyer would be an interesting hire wherever he went, but I don't know if him and a meddling Jerry Jones could coexist in Dallas. I really think that guys who will be getting HC jobs in 2020 are Roman, Richard, Saleh, and Schottenheimer. Harbaugh is bound to try the NFL again at some point after his failures at Michigan. Not sure if it will really be his own decision, but he will make it look like it was his choice. Carolina would be quite an interesting destination for him though as you stated. All he would be looking for was his type of QB and to reshape the defense. They have a bunch of weapons on offense already.  

If the Bills do look for a new OC I’d love to see Joe Brady. Look at what he has done with Joe Burrow at LSU. Brady has spent time under Sean Payton in NO. Brady also played at William and Mary where McDermott played at. I’d like to see what Brady could do with Allen. Brady took Burrows from a 55% completion percentage to over 70% . Brady is a young riser, who might like a shot back in the Pro’s. 

I don’t see Daboll as a HC in the NFL. Not sure why he would leave the Bills for anything less than a HC gig someplace he valued.

Edited by atlbillsfan1975

6 minutes ago, SlimShady'sGhost said:

Say no more

Sure he may be interviewed for a HC job.  But will he leave? 

He will get some interviews - heard he talked to Sean McVay once.

I suspect he will not land a HC job this year unless the Bills get to the SB.

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, atlbillsfan1975 said:

If the Bills do look for a new OC I’d love to see Joe Brady. Look at what he has done with Joe Burrow at LSU. Brady has spent time under Sean Payton in NO. Brady also played at William and Mary where McDermott played at. I’d like to see what Brady could do with Allen. Brady took Burrows from a 55% completion percentage to over 70% . Brady is a young riser, who might like a shot back in the Pro’s. 

I don’t see Daboll as a HC in the NFL. Not sure why he would leave the Bills for anything less than a HC gig someplace he valued.

Burrow is at 78.3% completion percentage right now which is absolutely unheard of, especially against the level of opponents he has faced all year long. Insane.

https://www.espn.com/college-football/player/gamelog/_/id/3915511/joe-burrow

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Pete Carmichael is not getting a HC job for the same reason he hasn't every other year. He has been the OC of top offenses in New Orleans for a decade but everyone knows it is really Brees and Payton running the show. Stefanski and Bienamy will get looks I would think. Sirianni might as well but I'd be surprised if he lands a job this time around. Also not sure Garrett jumps right back into a HC job.

Vacancies:

Washington Redskins

Carolina Panthers

Almost certain vacancies:

Atlanta Falcons

Jacksonville Jaguars

Cleveland Browns

Possible vacancies:

New York Giants

Los Angeles Chargers

New York Jets

Careful about typecasting Carmichael; a lot of folks said the same thing about Frank Reich in both SD and Philly.

I mostly agree with you though.

As for the OP, if by some chance both Daboll and Dorsey leave, which I heavily doubt would happen, you could see Rob Boras take the reins since he's called plays before. I suspect, however, that they could look to groom a younger guy like Chad Hall for the spot. I know McDermott loves Hall.

I suppose they could also look at Derek Anderson. McDermott is big on the trust model, and Anderson is a guy that has the trust of both he and Josh Allen. He knows the scheme and many of the players. Might make sense.

2 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Dorsey is under contract so he will only be an OC somewhere else if the Bills allow him to walk. There is no requirement to allow position coaches to interview for coordinator positions. I think the Bills generally want to be seen as a team who don't block talented guys from moving up (in the long run it helps you attract the best talented young coaches) but given where Josh is in his development I'd be surprised if they let Dorsey interview for anything short of HC positions (where they are obligated to) this offseason.

I hear you - I agree that I don’t think they would block him for a promotion- I believe the only way he would leave would be if Rivera gets an opening and wants Dorsey as an OC. 

Other than that - I would expect him back with the Bills learning and growing as a coach.

• Like (+1) 1

If by chance Dabol gets the call from another team i would immediately put Dorsey in charge of the offense, that would keep some sort of stability for Allen & the guy has been a QB for ever .

It seems that that would be the natural progression to give him the reigns seeing as he is familiar with the players & the scheme ...

One of the biggest reasons young QB's fail in the NFL is due to coaching changes, the Bills have several QB's that turned to crap due to that so i would hope they would promote Dorsey if Dabol leaves but him being a homer I'm not sure he would leave .

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, transplantbillsfan said:

Seems Daboll is hitting his stride. Went upstairs and is managing a no huddle with run n shoot concepts while talking in Allen's ear as long as he can.

As much as I have been up and down with my feelings of him, it seems he's figured something out. Plus, he and Allen seem to work really well together. And of course the reputation Allen had coming into the league will only enhance his stock.

And then with Rivera fired and our QB coach with Carolina connections, there's this:

So if both of those guys are gone, who the hell is our OC next season???

Holy crap I need to get my resume ready for the Pegula's ?

There is no way that we are losing both of these guys. Honestly I'd be shocked if Daboll is gone after the season.