Here's a premature question: who will be our OC next year?

Seems Daboll is hitting his stride. Went upstairs and is managing a no huddle with run n shoot concepts while talking in Allen's ear as long as he can.

As much as I have been up and down with my feelings of him, it seems he's figured something out. Plus, he and Allen seem to work really well together. And of course the reputation Allen had coming into the league will only enhance his stock.

And then with Rivera fired and our QB coach with Carolina connections, there's this:

So if both of those guys are gone, who the hell is our OC next season???

Edited by transplantbillsfan

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

I don’t think he gets picked up. Frazier might be more likely. Could especially see a team like Carolina looking into Frazier.

Daboll might get some interviews, but even with 7-8 jobs opening, I could see Rivera(1) and Garrett (2) taking other head coaching positions. Then Greg Roman(3) will likely get a job. I could see a team saying “listen, draft Jaylen Hurts and do the same thing for us so we don’t have to trade everything to move up in the 1st round). I could definitely see Saleh (4) from the 49’ers getting a head job. Mike McCarthy (5) will likely be brought in to coach a team as well 
Then there’s a list of guys like Pete Carmichael (OC New Orleans), Kevin Stefanski (OC, Minnesota), Eric Bienamy (OC, Kansas City), Nick Sirianni (OC, Indianapolis) who could be candidates as well 

Then sprinkle in a college coach or two and you’re done before you get to our happy little mustachioed Daboll. 

3 minutes ago, Dkollidas said:

I don’t think he gets picked up. Frazier might be more likely. Could especially see a team like Carolina looking into Frazier.

Daboll might get some interviews, but even with 7-8 jobs opening, I could see Rivera(1) and Garrett (2) taking other head coaching positions. Then Greg Roman(3) will likely get a job. I could see a team saying “listen, draft Jaylen Hurts and do the same thing for us so we don’t have to trade everything to move up in the 1st round). I could definitely see Saleh (4) from the 49’ers getting a head job. Mike McCarthy (5) will likely be brought in to coach a team as well 
Then there’s a list of guys like Pete Carmichael (OC New Orleans), Kevin Stefanski (OC, Minnesota), Eric Bienamy (OC, Kansas City), Nick Sirianni (OC, Indianapolis) who could be candidates as well 

Then sprinkle in a college coach or two and you’re done before you get to our happy little mustachioed Daboll. 

Pete Carmichael is not getting a HC job for the same reason he hasn't every other year. He has been the OC of top offenses in New Orleans for a decade but everyone knows it is really Brees and Payton running the show. Stefanski and Bienamy will get looks I would think. Sirianni might as well but I'd be surprised if he lands a job this time around. Also not sure Garrett jumps right back into a HC job.

Vacancies:

Washington Redskins

Carolina Panthers

Almost certain vacancies:

Atlanta Falcons

Jacksonville Jaguars

Cleveland Browns

Possible vacancies:

New York Giants

Los Angeles Chargers

New York Jets

3 hours ago, transplantbillsfan said:

Seems Daboll is hitting his stride. Went upstairs and is managing a no huddle with run n shoot concepts while talking in Allen's ear as long as he can.

As much as I have been up and down with my feelings of him, it seems he's figured something out. Plus, he and Allen seem to work really well together. And of course the reputation Allen had coming into the league will only enhance his stock.

And then with Rivera fired and our QB coach with Carolina connections, there's this:

So if both of those guys are gone, who the hell is our OC next season???

I am not overly worried about it.  They just got rid of Rivera and want to move on from that staff - why would they go back into his former staff to hire a new HC. 

I think Daboll gets some looks, but I think he is back.  I think he is a bit to much like Kitchens in Cleveland - very expressive and brash and I think that will turn off a few teams. 

I think Dorsey could get some looks at OC, but I think the Bills will offer a bit of a raise and unless he gets a perfect fit - I think he will be back. 

I am hoping the failure of Kitchens, Gase (although he will be back), Nagy, Gruden, etc.  that teams will realize that it is less about finding the next McVay and more about finding a leader and letting the OC and DC be your McVay.  

We will see.

So I guess my answer to your question would be - I expect our OC next year to be ........... Daboll with Dorsey as Assistant OC and QB coach.

Edited by Rochesterfan
  • Like (+1) 2

33 minutes ago, Rochesterfan said:

I think Dorsey could get some looks at OC, but I think the Bills will offer a bit of a raise and unless he gets a perfect fit - I think he will be back.

Dorsey is under contract so he will only be an OC somewhere else if the Bills allow him to walk. There is no requirement to allow position coaches to interview for coordinator positions. I think the Bills generally want to be seen as a team who don't block talented guys from moving up (in the long run it helps you attract the best talented young coaches) but given where Josh is in his development I'd be surprised if they let Dorsey interview for anything short of HC positions (where they are obligated to) this offseason.

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

Pete Carmichael is not getting a HC job for the same reason he hasn't every other year. He has been the OC of top offenses in New Orleans for a decade but everyone knows it is really Brees and Payton running the show. Stefanski and Bienamy will get looks I would think. Sirianni might as well but I'd be surprised if he lands a job this time around. Also not sure Garrett jumps right back into a HC job.

Vacancies:

Washington Redskins

Carolina Panthers

Atlanta Falcons

Jacksonville Jaguars

Cleveland Browns

Possible vacancies:

New York Giants

Los Angeles Chargers

New York Jets

I'd move the NY Giants to "Almost certain vacancies" as Shurmur is done and Dallas to possible if they don't make the playoffs and win at least a game, if not two. I expect Robert Saleh from SF to get a lot of looks. I'd also expect Kris Richard from Dallas to get many interviews. Brian Schottenheimer is another I could see getting some serious looks. Don't be surprised if the Skins go sniffing around the college ranks for a HC. I expect them to try to interview Brian Kelly, Ryan Day, possibly Urban Meyer, and maybe even throw a bone out to see if Lincoln Reilly would be interested (whom I also expect the Cowboys to go after if they let Garrett walk). Hell, after his 5 straight losses to Ohio St., I wouldn't be surprised if Harbaugh started interviewing for NFL jobs (even though he says he is staying in Ann Arbor). After this year in Baltimore I expect Roman to get some serious looks @ HC vacancies this offseason. I hope we are able to keep Daboll for at least one more year. Honestly, I think he may get an interview or two, but I can't see a FO being ready to hand him the reigns to a team just yet. There are guys out there with more proven track records @ the OC position than him. 

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

Vacancies:

Washington Redskins

Carolina Panthers

Atlanta Falcons

Jacksonville Jaguars

Cleveland Browns

Possible vacancies:

New York Giants

Los Angeles Chargers

New York Jets

Atlanta Falcons

Jacksonville Jaguars

Cleveland Browns

Dallas Cowboys

You forgot one!

8 minutes ago, Circlethewagon8404 said:

Atlanta Falcons

Jacksonville Jaguars

Cleveland Browns

Dallas Cowboys

You forgot one!

Yea - I forgot Dallas! They were meant to be on the list. 

12 minutes ago, H2o said:

I'd move the NY Giants to "Almost certain vacancies" as Shurmur is done and Dallas to possible if they don't make the playoffs and win at least a game, if not two. I expect Robert Saleh from SF to get a lot of looks. I'd also expect Kris Richard from Dallas to get many interviews. Brian Schottenheimer is another I could see getting some serious looks. Don't be surprised if the Skins go sniffing around the college ranks for a HC. I expect them to try to interview Brian Kelly, Ryan Day, possibly Urban Meyer, and maybe even throw a bone out to see if Lincoln Reilly would be interested (whom I also expect the Cowboys to go after if they let Garrett walk). Hell, after his 5 straight losses to Ohio St., I wouldn't be surprised if Harbaugh started interviewing for NFL jobs (even though he says he is staying in Ann Arbor). After this year in Baltimore I expect Roman to get some serious looks @ HC vacancies this offseason. I hope we are able to keep Daboll for at least one more year. Honestly, I think he may get an interview or two, but I can't see a FO being ready to hand him the reigns to a team just yet. There are guys out there with more proven track records @ the OC position than him. 

I am not sure on Shurmer. I think he should be done. I am just not sure. The Mara's tend to fire a year later than they should do.... Dallas I just forgot to write. In my head they were there haha. 

As for candidates - yes, Kris Richard will get looks again and this might be his year. Jim Harbaugh to Carolina would not surprise me at all. Not sure how many of the other possible openings he is a fit for. I'd be surprised if Ryan Day jumps from Ohio State after just one year. Agree that he will want to coach in the NFL at some point, but he is young it isn't a now or never situation. Urban Meyer is interesting. Especially in Dallas. Not sure he would go to Washington because that is set up to fail, even with Dwayne Haskins. 

• Like (+1) 1