Will Bird Fans Infiltrate New Era?

38 minutes ago, InheritedBillsfan said:

I think for each their own and folks who don't attend every game just *might* have more going on in their lives to spend an entire Sunday afternoon drinking beer and partying with a bunch of other fans. I also do not think there is a such gauge, other than the subjective opinion of those who spend their Sundays at the stadium, for what defines a "causal fan" from a "true-loyal fan". Have to be honest, most people don't really care how  they're labeled because they are successful enough in life that the title of a true fan really doesn't bother them. But that's just my "subjective" opinion. 

And keep in mind, before you label other strangers, there are many many reasons fans may choose not to attend games; no babysitters for their children, health issues, financial issues (for those who may not be as successful :) ), transportation issues, other commitments to family or church, or simply have a great gig at home that they choose to remain in. But if any of the previous mentioned helps define a "true fan" from a "casual sometimes-ticket holder" than perhaps you should contribute to policies and/or manuals that officially certify what a worthy fan is. 

Like I said I am cool with that...........if you aren't going to be there every week just own it.........don't be like @Stank_Nastyand call out the fanbase as an "embarrassment" for not filling the stadium when you aren't even attending yourself.    

10 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Like I said I am cool with that...........if you aren't going to be there every week just own it.........don't be like @Stank_Nastyand call out the fanbase as an "embarrassment" for not filling the stadium when you aren't even attending yourself.    

Can't argue with that. ☮️

• Like (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, Billever76 said:

No way is a dome a good idea...we want the homefield advantage in dec and january with the Buffalo winters to our advantage..you dont see greenbay talking about a dome

I'll be honest, there is something to be said about the gameday experience of an outdoor stadium throughout the entire NFL season. I have attended Baltimore games where you get a sunburn in the lower deck in September, and then playoff games in January where it's 15-20 degrees. Not to mention teams that are used to playing in warm weather or domes have to travel to stadiums in the playoffs where there is inclement weather, typically giving the edge to the home team. 

22 minutes ago, Billever76 said:

No way is a dome a good idea...we want the homefield advantage in dec and january with the Buffalo winters to our advantage..you dont see greenbay talking about a dome

You also don't see Green Bay getting much interest from offensive players in FA.  

Playing in a neutral climate environment is a plus in a game where turnover is incredible and recruiting talent is an increasingly important factor.

And then there is the issue of crowd noise.    That's the biggest advantage you can have as a home team and putting a roof over a Bills crowd could make for a top 2-3 loudest stadium in the league.

The weather advantage is not what it used to be either.    The gear these players have now is very efficient at keeping in heat and the gloves they wear allow them good grip in the cold as well.    It's not the total system shock it used to be coming from a place like Miami to Buffalo.   

1 hour ago, Stank_Nasty said:

I've had'm before bud.... there was a lot more to that post but it honestly woulda made me look like about as much of a jerk as you regularly look like around here. so I kept it classy..... you wouldn't understand. 

Quitters never win stinky.

On 12/4/2019 at 11:24 AM, JoshAllenHasBigHands said:

Sorry- I am doing something else and am half distracted. 

In any event, to each there own I guess. My take is that the type of fans that sit in the cold for a game are probably going to go regardless. Its the people on the fence they need to capture. I still think its safe to say you get more net fans with a dome. 

By making changes including price, tailgating and a dome you will lose a lot of old fans.  I used to go to 2-3 games a year in Buffalo but can not solo drive anymore and the prices of a weekend flight are outrageous so I have not been for a while.  Adding the electronic ticketing also knocks me out unless I am going with someone else whose device can store both tickets and the Bills are even pushing (but not require yet) for each ticket holder to have own device which I assume is for selling data tracking people.

Regarding domes yes I have been to one in Arizona. I was working in California and had a rental car so I just drove to game.

In this case the dome had plenty of parking for tailgating although due to weather we did our tailgate inside.

It is a beautiful stadium with field grown outside and placed for game.  

My seat however was behind a girder and under the overhang from level above so I could barely see the field from my seat and NO team should sell such seats.  Can you identify ONE such seat in the Ralph?

I do not recall who sold me the seat but it was from a Bills fan group who said they had one of group cancel due to work and was just trying to recover cost.  The thing is no one around me was a Bills fan so where were rest of the group if that is try.  I spend most of the game as hobo sitting whenever I saw a missing seat for a while until someone came back.

I have been to other domes at well and found none of them appealing.

17 hours ago, Jrb1979 said:

The reason I say limit season ticket sales is that a lot of out of towners seem to sell more games then they attend.  I can see the Bills keeping an eye on ticket holders that resell a lot of their tickets. The Denver Broncos revoked a lot of tickets from season ticket holders cause they sold more then they went to. 

Without prolonging this, because I no longer come here to get in to drawn out conversations arguing back and forth.....

The Denver Broncos can do this because they have a season ticket waiting of over 75,000 people I believe.  Big difference.  That gives them all kinds of advantages when putting policies in place.  The Bills would kill their own business model if they did that.

• Like (+1) 2

On 12/4/2019 at 7:40 PM, BADOLBILZ said:

Oh I get it.

I just didn't know that  "surprised" and "embarrassed" meant the same thing to you. 

You are TWO HOURS away.  Totally reasonable excuse for a casual fan like yourself to not be there.

The difference between a "season ticket holder" and a "sometimes ticket holder" is "commitment" versus "involvement".  

"Ham and Eggs" as Mike Leach would say.:thumbsup:

Wait what? lol..., So you are saying people who live relatively close to the stadium and don't have season tickets are essentially "casual" fans?

If that's what you are saying, did you ever think of the fact they like to enjoy watching the games at home more with family/friends and the privacy of their home? And/or need to spend their money on oh you know, paying their mortgages and providing for their families?

15 minutes ago, BillsFan130 said:

Wait what? lol..., So you are saying people who live relatively close to the stadium and don't have season tickets are essentially "casual" fans?

If that's what you are saying, did you ever think of the fact they like to enjoy watching the games at home more with family/friends and the privacy of their home? And/or need to spend their money on oh you know, paying their mortgages and providing for their families?

he's pissy because I said "its sort of embarrassing" the stadium isn't sold out and tickets are cheap for such a big game when I cant even make it there myself. he then decided to try and turn it into some sort of douchey fandom pissing contest..... regardless of if I can make it or not, its slightly perplexing, and mildly embarrassing for the fanbase AS A WHOLE, that its a such a huge regular season game and they aren't able to sell their tickets. I've been to more than enough games to have that sort of input on the situation. 

basically he's saying that if you don't own seasons(which I've owned in the past) or go to every single game then you aren't nearly the fan that he is and have no say on the topic..... understandable, right??

Edited by Stank_Nasty

4 minutes ago, Stank_Nasty said:

he's pissy because I said "its sort of embarrassing" the stadium isn't sold out and tickets are cheap for such a big game when I cant even make it there myself. he then decided to try and turn it into some sort of douchey fandom pissing contest..... regardless of if I can make it or not, its slightly perplexing, and mildly embarrassing for the fanbase AS A WHOLE, that its a such a huge regular season game and they aren't able to sell their tickets. I've been to more than enough games to have that sort of input on the situation. 

basically he's saying that if you don't own seasons(which I have in the past) or go to every single game then you aren't nearly the fan that he is and have no say on the topic..... understandable, right??

Haha oh man. I will say it is a little strange that the stadium isn't sold out yet and the tickets are selling for cheap,  but to call individual fans out for not being able to make it, and to say they are casual fans cause they don't' want to go or can't go, is crazy IMO.

8 minutes ago, BillsFan130 said:

Haha oh man. I will say it is a little strange that the stadium isn't sold out yet and the tickets are selling for cheap,  but to call individual fans out for not being able to make it, and to say they are casual fans cause they don't' want to go or can't go, is crazy IMO.

he was just trying to make a point about what I said and basically ended up looking like a complete jerk and calling out anyone else that's not a season ticket holder in the process...… and to that point. lets be honest. how many season ticket holders actually go to all the games anymore and how many sell half of them and only make it to a couple? last year I made it to 7 games including drives to Lambeau and indy. that's probably as many, if not more, than a lot of people with seasons. quite a bit of travel for the casual fan, right? LOL.

point is holding seasons or the amount of games attended isn't what makes a fan. the other point is, whether I can make that ravens game or not, in my small meaningless opinion it will be slightly embarrassing(for the whole fanbase) if they cant pack the house as they've been able to pack it numerous other times early in the season for less meaningful games. 

Edited by Stank_Nasty
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Stank_Nasty said:

he's pissy because I said "its sort of embarrassing" the stadium isn't sold out

Have no idea where this narrative is that there are thousands of unsold seats out there, that is just plain false. Was just on the ticketmaster site, looks like less than 300 seats still available for this game. Remember,each club holds back a couple hundred or so for the visiting team and have other holdbacks as well.

This thing is 100% a sellout on Sunday

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

Have no idea where this narrative is that there are thousands of unsold seats out there, that is just plain false. Was just on the ticketmaster site, looks like less than 300 seats still available for this game. Remember,each club holds back a couple hundred or so for the visiting team and have other holdbacks as well.

This thing is 100% a sellout on Sunday

right. I was hoping it would trend that way. I think my initial comment was from 3 days ago, and I've already admitted to somebody else in this thread that my initial post was a bit of an overreaction and that I hoped it'd be packed by sunday.

At home in December (regular season games)....

22-23 in the last 20 years

26-28 in the last 25 years

36-38 since New Era Field opening in 73

This whole we need home field conditions is crap.  I looked through it all in nonplayoff home games during the Superbowl era we still are .500 at home during December 

Edited by Mr Wild
  • Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, BillsFan130 said:

First of all be sure to have context of the conversation you are jumping into:

@Stank_Nasty was at once shaming Bills fans for not being there and citing cheap tickets when he himself was opting out of attending the game.

It's not that complicated. 

If you can afford season tickets and have a reasonable commute to the stadium but choose not to commit to them............then yes you are definitely less committed as a fan.

The product is pro football.........pro=paid to perform.

Spending 2,000 hours per year on a free Bills website expresses your mania........not your commitment to the franchise,  it's stability or to the community of Bills fans who show up to games to make it possible for those less fortunate to enjoy the product for free on TV.

On 12/3/2019 at 10:04 PM, Hapless Bills Fan said:

It was hard to watch/hear so many Iggles fans cheering on their team in New Era. 

Anyone know, do PoeBirds fans travel like that?

About the same drive time, 6.5-ish hrs

Seem to be a fair number of tickets remaining.

Although it is crazy we haven't sold out & prices are cheap, Ravens are the 2nd worst traveling fan base in the league per this report.

https://scholarblogs.emory.edu/esma/2019/06/24/nfl-fandom-report-2019/

I think that is a Major factor, and this will be a game that is nearly full of Bills fans, unlike the eagles who per this report are the best travelling fans.

nfl2019ranks.jpg

Edited by BuffaloSol

31 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

@Stank_Nasty was at once shaming Bills fans for not being there and citing cheap tickets when he himself was opting out of attending the game.

If you can afford season tickets and have a reasonable commute to the stadium but choose not to commit to them............then yes you are definitely less committed as a fan.

Spending 2,000 hours per year on a free Bills website expresses your mania........not your commitment to the franchise,  it's stability or to the community of Bills fans who show up to games to make it possible for those less fortunate to enjoy the product for free on TV.

Can you please tell me how much money I'm supposed to spend on my son for Christmas in order to be considered a committed father?

• Haha (+1) 1

28 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

The ONLY thing that makes it possible for anyone, fortunate or not, to watch home games for free on TV is the media broadcast deal with the league. 

It’s great that the fans who attend and the sponsors who pay for displayed branding and other commercial announcements make it possible for the Bills to realize more unshared revenue, though. That is not an insignificant contribution to the franchise. 

• Like (+1) 1