Will Bird Fans Infiltrate New Era?

7 minutes ago, Stank_Nasty said:

the group of 15-20 that I go to most of my games(4-6 a year) with have discussed this quite a bit. its a pretty fair consensus that if the bills put in a dome they'd lose a decent amount of our attendance. if they did that AND made it more expensive then i'd have a hard time going to more than 1 or 2 a year.... maybe its just us? but I doubt that.

my wife HATES the cold and she even admitted the dome experience down in indy last year SUCKED to watch a live game.

Really? You'd be less likely to go to a domed game? 

Lord I hope not. I have traveled to 2 games so far this season, and would have tried to get to this one if my weekend wasn't full of Christmas parties already. I was at the Broncos game and was 100% convinced that the crowd noise had an impact on the game.  We need every edge we can get in this game and I am hoping  the crowd is even louder than we were against Denver.

1 minute ago, JoshAllenHasBigHands said:

I would be FAR less likely. But then I don't count as I live in Florida and am lucky if I make one game in Buffalo.  And, again, it isn't likely to be a dome--just maybe a stadium with a roof (stationary or retractable).

18 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

I don't judge people for not coming..........let's face it,  Russ was right that "the brand is tarnished".........late season Bills football has become synonymous with "meaningless" and over the course of near 20 years of not being a serious SB contender people get used to making plans to do other things in December.   Not even considering the Bills schedule.    Factor in the expectation of bad weather and most fans aren't even giving much thought to attending and it's not easy to pivot on plans after a nice November run of football.

It's going to take some time and winning to change that and even then it's always going to be a struggle late in the season if weather is a factor.

But how can you start your take with befuddlement about why people aren't going to the game and finish that first breath with "I'm unable to attend" and then start the next thought with how embarrassing it is and price shaming Bills fans?  That's just a lack of self accountability for the perceived problem on your part.    Why is your reason to be unable to attend so much better than everyone else's?   2 kids and 2 hour drive is a fine excuse on it's face IMO....... but not worthy of shaming your fellow fans.   Takes me 2 hours to get to the game and I have 5 kids and I can count the games I've missed in 25 years on one hand and still have enough digits left  to bowl a few frames.

I think we had a similar discussion in the "is it OK for fans to boo their team thread".    You were irate about the booing as I recall.   The reality is that there are about 20,000 or so season ticket holders who actually come to every game themselves and account for the 50k season tix sold.   That figure might even be too high.   I think only about 10% of club seat holders attended the last game. ?   Frankly, if you aren't in that number that are there thru thick and thin every week it's not right to be calling out the fanbase for apathy or booing or anything really.   Start with the man in the mirror.:thumbsup:

i'm sorry you don't get it. the point is living closer would ensure its not a full day event for me therefore the kids wouldn't be such an issue. I don't have to attend ever single game to be surprised that the fanbase that's right there in the back yard isn't showing up. i'm sorry you cant see to understand that. its a really easy concept. I don't think that's hard to understand. the closer you are to the stadium the easier and more convenient it is to get to games... I've never discussed the booing. I don't get riled up by that. I don't do it but I don't care who does.... I just totally disagree with  basically everything you say on here in general though.... like ever. so its whatever, man. 

Edited by Stank_Nasty

4 minutes ago, JoshAllenHasBigHands said:

110% I would have a hard time paying as much as it is for my wife and I to take a day for a football game when I absolutely cant stand the experience. walking into that dome was like walking into a shopping mall. 

I would guess for every person you find that wants a dome you'll find the same amount that don't. I know for a fact, because we've had these talks, that most of the group I regularly attend with would be very unhappy with an indoor stadium. I would still try to get there for some games because I want support my team at the stadium. but I cant say it'd be nearly as regular as its been over the last 15 years. 

4 minutes ago, Stank_Nasty said:

110% I would have a hard time paying as much as it is for my wife and I to take a day for a football game when I absolutely cant stand the experience. walking into that dome was like walking into a shopping mall. 

I would guess for every person you find that wants a dome you'll find the same amount that don't. I know for a fact, because we've had these talks, that most of the group I regularly attend with would be very unhappy with an indoor stadium. I would still try to get there for some games because I want support my team at the stadium. but I cant say it'd be nearly as regular as its been over the last 15 years. 

Wild. I can't even wrap my head around that. I'm not saying your wrong, but to me its just not meaningfully different. I say that as someone who lived in Syracuse for 8 years and went to a ton of SU football games.  I just don't think the game time experience was any different, excluding the tailgating obviously. Not excluding the losing, unfortunately. 

Edited by JoshAllenHasBigHands
  • Thank you (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, buffaloboyinATL said:

Lord I hope not. I have traveled to 2 games so far this season, and would have tried to get to this one if my weekend wasn't full of Christmas parties already. I was at the Broncos game and was 100% convinced that the crowd noise had an impact on the game.  We need every edge we can get in this game and I am hoping  the crowd is even louder than we were against Denver.

I can only speak for myself here but I think because of the magnitude of this game I got a bit overemotional that there were still a bunch of tickets out there. i'd like to think that no matter what its gonna be a loud crowd come sunday. 

Just now, JoshAllenHasBigHands said:

Wild. I can't even wrap my head around that. I'm not saying your wrong, but to me its just not meaningfully different. I saw that as someone who lived in Syracuse for 8 years and went to a ton of SU football games.  I just don't think the game time experience was any different, excluding the tailgating obviously. Not excluding the losing, unfortunately. 

and I cant wrap my head around somebody not seeing the difference. just differing opinions. I'm sure they wont have problems getting it full, but what i'm telling you is I have a large group of fans I tailgate with that would be unhappy and probably wouldn't pay nearly as often for an experience they didn't like as much....but like I said earlier, you have to support your team so i'd still be trying to make it up there for a few.

4 minutes ago, Stank_Nasty said:

I can only speak for myself here but I think because of the magnitude of this game I got a bit overemotional that there were still a bunch of tickets out there. i'd like to think that no matter what its gonna be a loud crowd come sunday. 

and I cant wrap my head around somebody not seeing the difference. just differing opinions. I'm sure they wont have problems getting it full, but what i'm telling you is I have a large group of fans I tailgate with that would be unhappy and probably wouldn't pay nearly as often for an experience they didn't like as much....but like I said earlier, you have to support your team so i'd still be trying to make it up there for a few.

I don't mean to challenge you, but have you actually gone to a domed football game? 

1 minute ago, JoshAllenHasBigHands said:

I don't mean to challenge you, but have you actually gone to a domed football game? 

well I said in another post to you that I have. like walking into a shopping mall. I led with that. haha. it was in indy last year. it sucked. my wife absolutely hates the cold and she even said it sucked being in a dome for a game and she'd take a winter outdoor game anytime over it.

Edited by Stank_Nasty

Just now, Stank_Nasty said:

well I said in another post to you that I have. indy last year. it sucked. my wife absolutely hates the cold and she even said it sucked being in a dome for a game.

Sorry- I am doing something else and am half distracted. 

In any event, to each there own I guess. My take is that the type of fans that sit in the cold for a game are probably going to go regardless. Its the people on the fence they need to capture. I still think its safe to say you get more net fans with a dome. 

Just now, JoshAllenHasBigHands said:

Sorry- I am doing something else and am half distracted. 

In any event, to each there own I guess. My take is that the type of fans that sit in the cold for a game are probably going to go regardless. Its the people on the fence they need to capture. I still think its safe to say you get more net fans with a dome. 

you could be right. the diehards are gonna support their team. i'll just have a hard time spending as much money on a experience i don't enjoy nearly as much. its probably trending in that direction though..... when I think of my favorite times at a stadium its not the mild weathered games I think back to. its the crisp,  clean, sharp aired winter games with a bite in the air. 

like you said. different strokes, man. 

2 hours ago, SlimShady'sGhost said:

casual?  

Most season holders I know try to sell their Tix to fellow Bills Fans if they can't make it. 

By ‘casual‘ I was referring to season ticket holders who have been beaten down by Bills crappy records over the last 20 yrs and are no longer as committed late in the season. But even so, I thought the LJ highlights would be compelling enough to attend this game.

Most season ticket holders I know use NFL Ticket Exchange to resell their tix.

• Like (+1) 1

14 hours ago, Guffalo said:

I wish I could make sure my seats go to Bills fans, but if you post them on the Bills website (ticketmaster) they go to whomever is willing to pay. 

And at $38 local fans are still unwilling to buy. It's worth noting that there are still plenty of unsold box office tickets as well.

So where are the people saying "Bills fans would sell out December home games if they mattered?" This game matters. So what's the excuse now?

2 hours ago, The Dean said:

Just one quick comment. Whatever form the new stadium takes, it almost certainly won't be a "dome".  It could be an enclosed stadium or one with a retractable roof, but I doubt it will be a domed stadium. 

Speaking strictly from personal experience, I have never had a great experience watching football or baseball inside.  Even the most miserable experiences in outdoor stadiums have been far superior to that of being indoors. Well, there is one exception. Watching the Bills/Packers in Milwaukee's old baseball stadium was pretty damn miserable, too. 

I will have to disagree. I love indoor games. Having a covered stadium will help the Bills in many ways. Sold out games, better free agents, etc.

My last game was the Eagles wind and rain storm. It was miserable. Most people don't want to go to a game to catch hypothermia. 

Edited by PromoTheRobot
  • Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

I will have to disagree. I love indoor games. Having a covered stadium will help the Bills in many ways. Sold out games, better free agents, etc.

My last game was the Eagles wind and rain storm. It was miserable. Most people don't want to go to a game to catch hypothermia. 

You should have brought your Oil Can with ya 

:lol:   :lol:  

Edited by SlimShady'sGhost
  • Haha (+1) 3

8 hours ago, Stank_Nasty said:

i'm sorry you don't get it. the point is living closer would ensure its not a full day event for me therefore the kids wouldn't be such an issue. I don't have to attend ever single game to be surprised that the fanbase that's right there in the back yard isn't showing up. i'm sorry you cant see to understand that. its a really easy concept. I don't think that's hard to understand. the closer you are to the stadium the easier and more convenient it is to get to games... I've never discussed the booing. I don't get riled up by that. I don't do it but I don't care who does.... I just totally disagree with  basically everything you say on here in general though.... like ever. so its whatever, man. 

Oh I get it.

I just didn't know that  "surprised" and "embarrassed" meant the same thing to you. 

You are TWO HOURS away.  Totally reasonable excuse for a casual fan like yourself to not be there.

The difference between a "season ticket holder" and a "sometimes ticket holder" is "commitment" versus "involvement".  

"Ham and Eggs" as Mike Leach would say.:thumbsup: