Name This Person

T&C

On ‎7‎/‎4‎/‎2020 at 4:55 PM, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

Dankeschön.

Funny story:

20 years ago I was working for a tourism company and we had a partnership with the old convention center in Niagara Falls. They gifted us 100 tickets for a Wayne Newton show. We also had a comp commercial with Channel 29 that we had to use. We decided to run a promo in that spot and give away a set of tickets free to the first 50 callers who called in and said, "Dankeschön."

The commercial was set to run at 11:15 AM during a Matlock rerun - prime Wayne Newton demographic. We had 5 people ready to answer the phones as the commercial airs.

For 10 full minutes after, nothing. Not one call. Pure crickets.

Finally the phone rings. One of our secretaries snatches it up and says, "Hello. Yes, we are giving away the free Wayne Newton tickets. No, they're absolutely free, no catches. I simply need you to say the magic word. (Long pause) Oh, I'm sorry no magic word, no tickets. (Click)"

We didn't receive another call. Ultimately, I drove the tickets around to different senior centers and left them on tables in the rec rooms.

And that is what I will always think of when I hear Dankeschön.

1 hour ago, PastaJoe said:

i7CI7QqgrFaaWBY_ovgXYguGI_BRA8o0WlwxMToz

Engelbert Humperdinck ?

Edited by ChevyVanMiller
  • Haha (+1) 2

2 hours ago, ChevyVanMiller said:

Funny story:

20 years ago I was working for a tourism company and we had a partnership with the old convention center in Niagara Falls. They gifted us 100 tickets for a Wayne Newton show. We also had a comp commercial with Channel 29 that we had to use. We decided to run a promo in that spot and give away a set of tickets free to the first 50 callers who called in and said, "Dankeschön."

The commercial was set to run at 11:15 AM during a Matlock rerun - prime Wayne Newton demographic. We had 5 people ready to answer the phones as the commercial airs.

For 10 full minutes after, nothing. Not one call. Pure crickets.

Finally the phone rings. One of our secretaries snatches it up and says, "Hello. Yes, we are giving away the free Wayne Newton tickets. No, they're absolutely free, no catches. I simply need you to say the magic word. (Long pause) Oh, I'm sorry no magic word, no tickets. (Click)"

We didn't receive another call. Ultimately, I drove the tickets around to different senior centers and left them on tables in the rec rooms.

And that is what I will always think of when I hear Dankeschön.

Engelbert Humperdinck ?

Correct. I found that the person he took the name from was a German composer who wrote the opera Hänsel and Gretel.

800px-Engelbert_humperdinck_1854.jpg

• Thank you (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.