50 Years Ago Today We Were Awarded the Sabres

T&C

I was almost 9 and boy did the news get around the neighborhood quickly... we played pond hockey wherever we could with some pretty makeshift equipment and when we found out we had a team joy reigned. Those were some good times for sure.

Image may contain: one or more people and outdoor

50 years ago today...Dec. 3, 1969. The day after being awarded the NHL franchise for Buffalo....Seymour Knox visits Memorial Auditorium....future home of the Buffalo Sabres.

• Like (+1) 6
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

The Sabres and the Braves were the coolest thing going back in the day. Loved them both! 

I was actually young then! I hadn’t learned how to be bitter, or later how not to be. I just loved our three teams, even if they were never really good at the same time. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Augie said:

The Sabres and the Braves were the coolest thing going back in the day. Loved them both! 

I was actually young then! I hadn’t learned how to be bitter, or later how not to be. I just loved our three teams, even if they were never really good at the same time. 

Funny you mention the Braves... saw a guy a couple of weeks ago wearing a Braves tshirt... what are the odds, especially in Florida.

3 minutes ago, T&C said:

Funny you mention the Braves... saw a guy a couple of weeks ago wearing a Braves tshirt... what are the odds, especially in Florida.

Can’t remember who, but someone here posted a pic with him, his dad and Josh Allen recently. The dad was in a Bills shirt, but the poster was in a Braves shirt. LOVED that! Speak up if you see this! 

We split season tickets to the Braves, and my sister used to babysit Bob Kauffman’s kid right behind us. Good times. 

Never got as much into attending the Sabres, but mid-70’s watched every game we could. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

18 hours ago, \GoBillsInDallas/ said:

A record setting $6m fee!!  Now many players make more than that.

On 12/4/2019 at 10:41 PM, ExiledInIllinois said:

Not sure.  I wanna say after, since Sabres had favorable priority w/scheduling @ TheAud:

https://buffalonews.com/2016/04/22/braves-came-buffalo-left/

That's exactly what I was thinking.  But, it would be interesting to know for sure.

I was 7 years old that winter of 69-70 and I have a lot of memories of that.  What?  They're going to raise the roof?................I remember being at Chestnut Ridge (which is how I know we at least knew we had a coming NBA team in the winter, too) about what the name was going to be and my Dad said "It should be the Braves"..............I was thinking no way, that's just because his high school that he taught/coached at were the Braves..................I also went to my first hockey game - and rooted for the Bisons as they won the Calder Cup in that last year of existence.  Go Guy Trottier and Gilles Villemeure.  

• Like (+1) 2