49ers release K Chase McLaughlin... Update: Claimed by Colts - Bills and Pats placed claim.

whatdrought

1 minute ago, Augie said:

OUCH! Must be less than a heart warming vote of confidence to know your employer filed a claim to replace you! That’s life in the Big Leagues. 

True but that’s the business.  The great thing is he has the power to change everything with a good game.  It’s weird because no one cares about kickers but it could come down to that and the Ravens have the best one in the nfl. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

39 minutes ago, Augie said:

OUCH! Must be less than a heart warming vote of confidence to know your employer filed a claim to replace you! That’s life in the Big Leagues. 

It does not automatically mean loss of confidence in Hauschka. Part of Beane strategy to keep him away from Pats.

That said, no harm in lighting a bit of fire under H$ as well

Edited by IgotBILLStopay
  • Like (+1) 2

14 hours ago, The Dean said:

FINALLY somebody gets what's happening. It just shocks me that, at this point in the year, nobody seems to understand the Bills just can't sign any player that's cut. Cap hit has NOTHING to do with it. 

And let's get something straight, Hauschka's leg isn't "shot". He's kicking off out of the endzone better than I can remember---so there is still some power there. But something is definately off. I'm thinking this is probably his last year in Buffalo. But for this year. until there is a legit better kicker that is available to sign, he's our guy. Whining they need to get someone else, without offering a name who is available to sign, and is a definite upgrade, is just stupidity.  As far as I can tell, there just isn't anyone better available right now. I'm sure if there was, Beane would be working him out.

I have a feeling that the claim was two-fold. One to put Hauschka on notice, second to male sure the Pats did not get him. IMO

• Like (+1) 2

17 minutes ago, MiltonWaddams said:

If we are going to talk early round kickers, Sebastian Janikowski is the archetype. Based on the Aguayo failure, I doubt we see a kicker taken in the first 4 rounds for years.

SJ's lifetime FG pct was 80.4. He's a bit overrated. The FG pct for Justin Tucker, who wasn't drafted, is 90.6. Gostkowski -- a fourth rounder -- is at 87.4 (and 88.6 pct in the postseason). He was probably worth it; he's 25 for 35 on 50+ yarders. He's the model for drafting a kicker. The Bills have a lot of late round picks, and spending one on a good kicking prospect isn't a bad idea.  That said, so many good kickers - Will Lutz, Robbie Gould -- weren't drafted at all, and a average ones like Mike Nugent (80.9 pct; drafted in the second round) and SeaBass (first rounder) were. It's really a crapshoot.

Hauschka is at 85.4, but he's really slipped in the last couple of years (although he is 14 for 16 in kicks under 50 yards this season). Interestingly, he's 95.6 pct in the postseason - 20 for 21. 

Edited by dave mcbride

14 minutes ago, MiltonWaddams said:

If we are going to talk early round kickers, Sebastian Janikowski is the archetype.

Augie already suggested ‘turning to the poll’ on page 1 of this thread.
Oh, ‘poll’.  Not ‘Pole’.  Alexa didn’t read that with the correct inflection.  Carry on.

48 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

SJ's lifetime FG pct was 80.4. He's a bit overrated. The FG pct for Justin Tucker, who wasn't drafted, is 90.6. Gostkowski -- a fourth rounder -- is at 87.4 (and 88.6 pct in the postseason). He was probably worth it; he's 25 for 35 on 50+ yarders. He's the model for drafting a kicker. The Bills have a lot of late round picks, and spending one on a good kicking prospect isn't a bad idea.  That said, so many good kickers - Will Lutz, Robbie Gould -- weren't drafted at all, and a average ones like Mike Nugent (80.9 pct; drafted in the second round) and SeaBass (first rounder) were. It's really a crapshoot.

Hauschka is at 85.4, but he's really slipped in the last couple of years (although he is 14 for 16 in kicks under 50 yards this season). Interestingly, he's 95.6 pct in the postseason - 20 for 21. 

Good stuff.  The bolded is an understatement, by the way.  A really good kicker like Gostkowski (as opposed to an average or below average one) is probably the difference in one or two games per year.  How many other positions can you say that about?  The fact that few kickers have been drafted early is not a reflection on the relative value of the position, but rather, as you point out, the fact that it's a huge crapshoot.  There seems to be little correlation between where (or even whether) a kicker is drafted and how well he will perform in the NFL.  It's strange, because you would think that a great college kicker (especially one from a major program who is used to kicking in front of 80,000 people) would almost automatically become a great NFL kicker.  I mean, it's not like they have to adjust to playing against bigger, faster guys, like position players do...      

Edited by mannc
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

A pretty good outcome for Bills.  Chase isn't a huge improvement over Hauschka. Then they would have had to cut someone to give him a roster spot.  Yet Chase is an improvement over the garbage kicking game in NE.  

Win win

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, GG said:

A pretty good outcome for Bills.  Chase isn't a huge improvement over Hauschka. Then they would have had to cut someone to give him a roster spot.  Yet Chase is an improvement over the garbage kicking game in NE.  

Win win

Completely agree