49ers release K Chase McLaughlin... Update: Claimed by Colts - Bills and Pats placed claim.

whatdrought

36 minutes ago, Dick_Cheney said:

Maybe Hauschka knowing that the Bills had a claim in on McLaughlin is just the spark he needed to get his head straight. Or his leg. Either or.

I hope so too, also hoping it doesn’t do the opposite and throw him deeper into this slump. 

39 minutes ago, Dick_Cheney said:

Maybe Hauschka knowing that the Bills had a claim in on McLaughlin is just the spark he needed to get his head straight. Or his leg. Either or.

Kicking in the NFL is a very serious business for a team like ours who relies more on defense to pull us through.

I'm afraid the inability for the Bills to get a kicker on the active roster will cost us a game or two... It's now one of the few weaknesses that this staff has NOT addressed. Frank not doing it in Indy has literally cost them any shot at both the division AND the playoffs.

Edited by EasternOHBillsFan

1 hour ago, JM57 said:

I understand plenty. They have NO SHORTAGE OF CAP SPACE. Not this year. Not next year. Not for 2021. They can absorb it, full stop. A one time cap hit is something you deal with rather than keeping a guy around who cannot capably perform his job. Look at the dead cap hit they took for Dareus. The end. 

So Hauschka is overweight, lazy and smoking pot. Got it.

5 hours ago, JM57 said:

Sometimes it takes a bit for guys to latch on when they're bouncing around as an injury replacement. I know it was a long time ago now, but how many teams (including the Bills) did Shayne Graham kick for before he finally caught on with a team long term and he had a decent length career. 

The question is really just "is he better than the guy we have right now" and based on the fact the guy we have right now is missing 1 out of 3 kicks for the last 16 games, it would be hard to find a case where the answer isn't "Yes." I just hope Hauschka doesn't cost this team a (or another) game before the end of this season.

I've already said I don't think Chase is an upgrade and made my case. I was curious why you keep mentioning the last 16 games and not just this season when we've only played 12 this season. Then I looked. If we go back 16 games, that would include the last 4 games of last season when Hausch was injured due to a cheap shot by a Jets lineman. Here's how last year went:

1st 12 games(pre-injury) he was 17/19(89%)

last 4 games(injured) he was 5/9(55%)

This year inside of 50 yds Hausch is 14/16(87.5%).

This year inside of 50 yds Chase   is  12/16 (75%)

The only place you might argue Chase is better is 50+ yds. He's 100%, but he's only tried 1 from that distance. Hausch is at 20% , but has 5 attempts. They each have 1 made from 50+

For the reasons given, the answer isn't yes. Chase is not better.

I, like you, hope he doesn't cost us another game though. But, Chase lost one for the Niners this year too.

I know it's a moot point now but wanted to reply to your question.

• Thank you (+1) 1

12 hours ago, IgotBILLStopay said:

It does not automatically mean loss of confidence in Hauschka. Part of Beane strategy to keep him away from Pats.

That said, no harm in lighting a bit of fire under H$ as well

I agree. Beane may have been willing to keep 2 kickers on roster to keep him away from the evil empire.

9 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

Me thinks we will be looking at kickers in the offseason

The Bills were last season as well, nothing new.

1 hour ago, Dopey said:

I've already said I don't think Chase is an upgrade and made my case. I was curious why you keep mentioning the last 16 games and not just this season when we've only played 12 this season. Then I looked. If we go back 16 games, that would include the last 4 games of last season when Hausch was injured due to a cheap shot by a Jets lineman. Here's how last year went:

The only place you might argue Chase is better is 50+ yds. He's 100%, but he's only tried 1 from that distance. Hausch is at 20% , but has 5 attempts. They each have 1 made from 50+

I, like you, hope he doesn't cost us another game though. But, Chase lost one for the Niners this year too.

You can creatively select stats to try to support your point even if it is a weak one. Look at the government constantly changing measurements and then citing improvement based on new metrics.  I worked on computers for Census 2000 and saw lots of the political directives to try to make results turn out a certain way and finally the electronic 2000 census was cancelled despite money being spent and ready to be deployed because a director determined the results would not help what they politically were trying to achieve.

• Like (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Of all the things to worry about heading into a game with the Powerhouse Ravens, our kicking game is my biggest fear.

Especially juxtaposed with the Raven's kicker being so "automa-Tuck"

I can see Haushka missing 2 FGs Sunday, and us losing by 3. :sick:

He'll miss two field goals.  But Ed Oliver is going to get two safeties and we'll win by 1.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

I'm certain the camp competition for the starting kicker job will be a bit more contested next summer. I like Hauschka, I wonder how much that cheap shot he took last year against the Jets has affected him. It's a bummer that he's declined this season and they don't seem to trust him with anything over 50 yards but if it comes down to it , hopefully he can still come through. Overall though, unless you're Justin Tucker, kicking this season has been pretty crazy. 

12 hours ago, Dopey said:

But regardless of that the Bills made a claim on Chase. They obviously don't think the numbers tell the whole story.

• Like (+1) 1

Hmm. Chase misses another fg from inside the 50(47 yds)for his new team. Guess how many points the Colts lost by? Yep, those 3 points. Didn't the Niners lose to the Hawks by 3 because Chase missed a 47 yarder? I believe he's now 5/10 from 40-49 yds. No matter how the rest of the season goes for Hauscka, Chase isn't the answer. As I said, there's a reason he's been on 5 different teams this year.