49ers release K Chase McLaughlin... Update: Claimed by Colts - Bills and Pats placed claim.

whatdrought

8 minutes ago, GG said:

A pretty good outcome for Bills.  Chase isn't a huge improvement over Hauschka. Then they would have had to cut someone to give him a roster spot.  Yet Chase is an improvement over the garbage kicking game in NE.  

Win win

Yeah, I think Belichick is very uncomfortable with his kicking situation and knows it could cost them a game in what is becoming a tight race for the division and home field.... 

• Like (+1) 1

On 12/3/2019 at 10:51 PM, LABILLBACKER said:

Our kicking and punting game will definitely need upgrading next year.

Actually our punting has been better than average this year. It was abysmal in the preseason and the first few games but Cory has been pretty solid since and had been the master of inside the 15 kicks ever since. 

1 hour ago, GG said:

A pretty good outcome for Bills.  Chase isn't a huge improvement over Hauschka. Then they would have had to cut someone to give him a roster spot.  Yet Chase is an improvement over the garbage kicking game in NE.  

Win win

yep. I do think that Hauschka's bad numbers mask a pretty good season in kicks under 50 yards (14 for 16). The Bills should probably avoid long kicks going forward, but that's a manageable problem to have and taking on a new kicker at this point could be a move that goes south fast. All four of their remaining games are in terrible weather environments, with Pittsburgh being infamously bad for kickers.

2 hours ago, dave mcbride said:

SJ's lifetime FG pct was 80.4. He's a bit overrated. The FG pct for Justin Tucker, who wasn't drafted, is 90.6. Gostkowski -- a fourth rounder -- is at 87.4 (and 88.6 pct in the postseason). He was probably worth it; he's 25 for 35 on 50+ yarders. He's the model for drafting a kicker. The Bills have a lot of late round picks, and spending one on a good kicking prospect isn't a bad idea.  That said, so many good kickers - Will Lutz, Robbie Gould -- weren't drafted at all, and a average ones like Mike Nugent (80.9 pct; drafted in the second round) and SeaBass (first rounder) were. It's really a crapshoot.

Hauschka is at 85.4, but he's really slipped in the last couple of years (although he is 14 for 16 in kicks under 50 yards this season). Interestingly, he's 95.6 pct in the postseason - 20 for 21. 

Most kickers aren't drafted. A select few are taken in rounds 6-7 and then you have guys like janikowski and aguayo

Also Janikowski used to try kicks from anywhere over the 50, I can see why it's only 80%

He was absolutely a stud tho

6 hours ago, Dopey said:

I guess it's a moot point now, but there has to be a reason he's on his 5th team this year. 

Sometimes it takes a bit for guys to latch on when they're bouncing around as an injury replacement. I know it was a long time ago now, but how many teams (including the Bills) did Shayne Graham kick for before he finally caught on with a team long term and he had a decent length career. 

The question is really just "is he better than the guy we have right now" and based on the fact the guy we have right now is missing 1 out of 3 kicks for the last 16 games, it would be hard to find a case where the answer isn't "Yes." I just hope Hauschka doesn't cost this team a (or another) game before the end of this season.

20 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

Most kickers aren't drafted. A select few are taken in rounds 6-7 and then you have guys like janikowski and aguayo

Also Janikowski used to try kicks from anywhere over the 50, I can see why it's only 80%

He was absolutely a stud tho

Janikowski was 58-105 from 50+ (55%). Hauschka is better - 28 of 45 (62%).  Christ, even Dan Carpenter was better (24-41 or 58.5%).

The myth of Janikowski is strong.  

13 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

Janikowski was 58-105 from 50+ (55%). Hauschka is better - 28 of 45 (62%).  Christ, even Dan Carpenter was better (24-41 or 58.5%).

Look at how many attempts that was for Janikowski. That’s a bunch. How do you think Hauschka’s percentage will look after 60 more attempts?

• Like (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

Umm 105 attempts is double both those guys and legs die with long attempts

Me thinks if those guys have 105 attempts from that distance they aren't close to Janikowski

And most of those were  55-57 yarders for Jan not just 50.

He is a million times better long ball kicker than hauschka. Give houschka 50 more 50 yarders rn and watch him finish 40-100 lol

Edited by Buffalo716
  • Like (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

Janikowski has more attempts than the other 2 combined, and made more than the other 2 combined.

Janikowski scored 174 points from beyond 50 yards. Haushka only 84 points, and Carpenter only 72.

Advantage Janikowski.

• Like (+1) 2

4 hours ago, Canadian Bills Fan said:

I would love to draft a kicker earlier than round 7

I think they value a 5-7th round pick as we see so many games coming down to a game winning FG

We did and we should have kept Hopkins!!!

On 12/4/2019 at 3:53 PM, JM57 said:

His problem is putting the ball between the goalposts which is a far more important part of his job, and one which he is failing to do 1/3 of the time over the last 16 games. 

I forgot that the Bills are right against the cap and not able to absorb a dead cap hit for someone who cannot capably perform their job.

You obviously don't understand how dead cap works. It would take effect in FUTURE YEARS.

You actually want to cut a guy and give up a $6 million dollar player next year for no reason other than you're impatient and can't wait until off-season?

I did try and tell you guys. The Bills liked that kid. They liked him a lot. There were some people in the building advocating for him over Hauschka in the summer who felt he kicked better in camp, but Beane and McDermott were clear it was not at that stage a competition and it was Hausch's job. 

Hauschka's job just became a LOT safer now that Chase is on another team. I don't see them cutting Hausch in a playoff race for a guy off the street with no chemistry at all with the holder and snapper. That does not seem like a process move. But for a guy who was here has those relationships and understands what the Bills are trying to get done in the other facets of the kicking game? I could absolutely have seen it. 

2 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

Me thinks if those guys have 105 attempts from that distance they aren't close to Janikowski

He is a million times better long ball kicker than hauschka. Give houschka 50 more 50 yarders rn and watch him finish 40-100 lol

Not even sure he would make 40 the way he is kicking. 

• Like (+1) 3

4 hours ago, mannc said:

Yeah, I think Belichick is very uncomfortable with his kicking situation and knows it could cost them a game in what is becoming a tight race for the division and home field.... 

I had read that they expected Folk to miss only one game with appendicitis (wishful thinking) but today’s practice report said no place kickers were present.

2 hours ago, Rigotz said:

You obviously don't understand how dead cap works. It would take effect in FUTURE YEARS.

You actually want to cut a guy and give up a $6 million dollar player next year for no reason other than you're impatient and can't wait until off-season?

I understand plenty. They have NO SHORTAGE OF CAP SPACE. Not this year. Not next year. Not for 2021. They can absorb it, full stop. A one time cap hit is something you deal with rather than keeping a guy around who cannot capably perform his job. Look at the dead cap hit they took for Dareus. The end. 

3 hours ago, atlbillsfan1975 said:

Look at how many attempts that was for Janikowski. That’s a bunch. How do you think Hauschka’s percentage will look after 60 more attempts?

He played for nearly 20 years! 

3 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

Again, he played forever. There was no statistical improvement or decline as he got older. He was consistently average for his entire career.

2 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

He played for nearly 20 years! 

Again, he played forever. There was no statistical improvement or decline as he got older. He was consistently average for his entire career.

Kicking longer fgs than the entire league

Sorry he was not an average deep ball kicker and kickers legs regress with age

7 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

He was consistently average for his entire career.

Didn't know that, but true.  Jano's career average 80% pretty much all the way through.  Hauschka on the other hand was about 87% all the way through until last year (injured, 78%) and this year (71%).  Is it a permanent decline or just something to work through?  Lets hope for the latter.

Edited by Rock'em Sock'em
  • Like (+1) 1

Kickers have it easy as in they can go a whole season without having to make a tackle or take a hit.....but also have it tough. Kickers usually can’t afford a bad season without having to move to a new city.

31 minutes ago, Dick_Cheney said:

Maybe Hauschka knowing that the Bills had a claim in on McLaughlin is just the spark he needed to get his head straight. Or his leg. Either or.

I hope so. He obviously has the ability to be good. I’d like to see him get it straightened out and remain with the team.