49ers release K Chase McLaughlin... Update: Claimed by Colts - Bills and Pats placed claim.

whatdrought

18 hours ago, Kiva said:

Haoushka is shot. Sign chase now. No more losing games (Browns) because our kicker is a head case. 

cut Houshka, sign Chase 

For everyone saying this... WHY would we ever do this?

We would take a 6 million dollar dead cap hit if we cut Hauschka right now.

That would be an incredibly stupid idea. For 6 million dollars you can get a guy like John Brown or Cole Beasley. Do your research.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/buffalo-bills/steven-hauschka-5476/

Edited by Rigotz
  • Like (+1) 1

He's a team captain.  Unless he starts missing every kick, he'll be in Buffalo for the rest of the year.  His kickoffs are still going through the end-zone almost every time, so his leg does not appear to be shot. 

54 minutes ago, mannc said:

He's a team captain.  Unless he starts missing every kick, he'll be in Buffalo for the rest of the year.  His kickoffs are still going through the end-zone almost every time, so his leg does not appear to be shot. 

His problem is putting the ball between the goalposts which is a far more important part of his job, and one which he is failing to do 1/3 of the time over the last 16 games. 

1 hour ago, Rigotz said:

That would be an incredibly stupid idea. For 6 million dollars you can get a guy like John Brown or Cole Beasley. Do your research.

I forgot that the Bills are right against the cap and not able to absorb a dead cap hit for someone who cannot capably perform their job.

Edited by JM57

1 hour ago, mannc said:

I agree he still has a decent leash. 

1 hour ago, Rigotz said:

You don't keep an underperforming kicker because of a cap hit. That can lose you games. 

1 hour ago, JM57 said:

His problem is putting the ball between the goalposts which is a far more important part of his job, and one which he is failing to do 1/3 of the time over the last 16 games. 

I did not realize that his FG percentage was that low, but some of that time was when it appeared he was injured and it seems like a lot of those misses were from 50 or more.  

Hauschka's certainly going through a bit of a tough stretch, but kickers are strange creatures.  He's battle-tested (both here and in Seattle) and that means a lot when you're playing big games.  The fact that he's still kicking the ball through the endzone on kickoffs tells me that he's not injured and his leg isn't "tired".   The only way I would get rid of Hauschka this year is if it appeared that he had completely lost his confidence.  I don't think we're there, yet.  I will agree that's his seat is getting warm, though.  

16 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Even the Hooded Genius in Foxboro has been going through kickers like Kleenex. Maybe they're aren't any better options than Hauschka?

That is why McLaughlin bears watching. The Bills did like him pre-season and he knows the snapper and holder if they felt they needed to make a change. The kicker market is thin and lots of kickers seem to be struggling so I couldn't see the Bills cutting bait with Hauschka for just anybody.... but a young kid they like and have history with? Well I could maybe see that. 

He is safe for now. But he has to start making more kicks. 

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

I agree he still has a decent leash. 

You don't keep an underperforming kicker because of a cap hit. That can lose you games. 

You're right.

But you change kickers only if you have a better option.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Dr. K said:

You're right.

But you change kickers only if you have a better option.

Agreed. And I don't see any way they are going to take a guy off the street.... but the other guy they had in camp who they liked comes into the equation if Hausch keeps missing. 

5 hours ago, Rigotz said:

Would you rather lose another game because of 6 mill? No!! It’s worth the dead cap to cut him loose. 

Chase should have been signed yesterday. 

Edited by Kiva