49ers release K Chase McLaughlin... Update: Claimed by Colts - Bills and Pats placed claim.

whatdrought

11 hours ago, LB48 said:

Let's keep what we have

Let's keep the fifth-worst kicker in the league... Great idea!

8 hours ago, StHustle said:

Im pretty sure they did that to boost his confidence and get him over the mental hurdle. It didn't work.

If Beane is throwing money at players to boost their confidence, that is all kinds of screwed up. The problem is I believe that's exactly what happened.

9 hours ago, Chicken Boo said:

When you can't even get a 53 yarder to the goal post, you're worthless as far as I'm concerned.

I would replace Haush in a second.  He is going to cost us dearly one of these times.

He already has. With a better kicker, we would be 10-2 and control our destiny for the #1 seed in the AFC

10 hours ago, Warcodered said:

He's losing his consistency but he is not one of the worst kickers in the league we've seen a lot worse.

He actually is one of the very worst kickers in the league. Stats don't lie for kickers.

1 hour ago, Giuseppe Tognarelli said:

If Beane is throwing money at players to boost their confidence, that is all kinds of screwed up.

Meh. Thats a move you would only do for a kicker. So when you say "throwing money at players" I feel its an isolated event  and not the beginning of some trend we have to worry about. It could have worked but so far it hasn't. I would immediately bring in Chase because he is the best option out there. If we let another team grab him up and decide to make a move a few weeks down the line after finally being convinced the change should be made, it'll be slim pickings and possibly no better option out there. Playoff games too often come down to field goals and I DREAD that being our downfall after a great season.

9 minutes ago, StHustle said:

@Dopey You care to share why you are skeptical? Stephen Hauschka did NOTHING to earn an extension. Nothing else makes sense on why they wouldn't wait to extend him. They clearly didnt want that hanging over his head.

Sure, I trust this staff isn't dumb enough to give someone money just to boost his confidence. This is a cut throat league. You get paid for production. His 1st year here, he was money(% 88). Last year, the same, til the injury off of a cheap shot. He still kicked at a %78 clip last year with the injury. He was going to be an URFA after this year. Locking up a good kicker at $2 million a year is a good deal. Since the debacle vs. the Browns, he's rebounded to 7/8 in FG attempts. We'll see how the resat of the season plays out.

Back to your question: I think it's ridiculous to think Beane is going to pay someone $2 million a year to make him feel better about himself. That's how you get fired. The goal was to keep a good kicker in the fold at a decent contract, not to boost his confidence. Hindsight aside.

15 hours ago, HOUSE said:

Should get a big contract too

Yup, no trade clause too.

36 minutes ago, Dopey said:

Sure, I trust this staff isn't dumb enough to give someone money just to boost his confidence. This is a cut throat league. You get paid for production. His 1st year here, he was money(% 88). Last year, the same, til the injury off of a cheap shot. He still kicked at a %78 clip last year with the injury. He was going to be an URFA after this year. Locking up a good kicker at $2 million a year is a good deal. Since the debacle vs. the Browns, he's rebounded to 7/8 in FG attempts. We'll see how the resat of the season plays out.

Back to your question: I think it's ridiculous to think Beane is going to pay someone $2 million a year to make him feel better about himself. That's how you get fired. The goal was to keep a good kicker in the fold at a decent contract, not to boost his confidence. Hindsight aside.

What you are saying would make sense if they didn't extend him after one of the worst stretches of his career. They could have EASILY waited to see if he got back on track first and extended him midway through the season. Im not saying they ONLY did it as a confidence boost because they also believed in him. The TIMING of it all was PURELY so it was one less thing the kicker would have to think about. 

FACT: Getting an extension makes most players feel more secure.

FACT: Most humans are less tense when they feel secure. It lessens anxiety.

For most players, you invite that insecurity to get them to step their game up. That philosophy isn't a good idea for a kicker for obvious reasons.

You sit here and speak as if what Im saying makes no sense. To want your kicker to have one less thing to worry about isnt "dumb" as you call it. Now if they didn't quite believe in him and still made the move then you have a point. I think they did indeed believe in him and felt the early extension may even improve his play even more. So far they were wrong.

• Like (+1) 1

27 minutes ago, StHustle said:

What you are saying would make sense if they didn't extend him after one of the worst stretches of his career. They could have EASILY waited to see if he got back on track first and extended him midway through the season. Im not saying they ONLY did it as a confidence boost because they also believed in him. The TIMING of it all was PURELY so it was one less thing the kicker would have to think about. 

FACT: Getting an extension makes most players feel more secure.

FACT: Most humans are less tense when they feel secure. It lessens anxiety.

For most players, you invite that insecurity to get them to step their game up. That philosophy isn't a good idea for a kicker for obvious reasons.

You sit here and speak as if what Im saying makes no sense. To want your kicker to have one less thing to worry about isnt "dumb" as you call it. Now if they didn't quite believe in him and still made the move then you have a point. I think they did indeed believe in him and felt the early extension may even improve his play even more. So far they were wrong.

I have no problem with us not agreeing on the confidence boost part, but I still believe Beane isn't the type to risk his job over a player's feeling of insecurity. He wanted to lock up a good kicker, expecting a return to pre-injury form. If he waits and Haush is the top kicker in the league right now, Haush asks for more than $2 million or tests FA after this season. We'll see how the rest of the season plays out, but he seems to be coming around over the last few games. 
Hopefully you didn't take my "dumb" as I was speaking about you. The "dumb" comment was directed at the staff. If that was the reason they did give him the contract extension, that was a dumb move by Beane. 

13 hours ago, Dopey said:

Maybe there's a reason 2 teams dropped him. He is 5/9 from 40-49 and missed a game winning kick himself.  From the "Star needs to go" to the "Shaq sucks" to the "Oliver is a bust" to the "Duke must start" etc., etc. on this board, this staff has proven to be right. If they find a better kicker, fine. Chase is not better, he's just a different name. Could be wrong, but I don't see this happening.

Yes the reason is he was brought in as an injury fill in on both occasions. 

Chargers brought him in because Mike Badgley hurt his groin right before week 1, they used their punter in double duty for a few weeks and when Badgley had a setback, they brought McLaughlin in. The Niners then scooped him up when Robbie Gould was injured and released him now that he's healthy.

3 hours ago, Dopey said:

Not sure where we're getting $2 million from. That's lower than even the base salary of his extension. Original deal was 3 years for 8.85 million. Extension was 2 years for 9 million tacked on. Cap hits were 2.6, 3.0 and 3.25 million on the original deal. 3.25 was ripped up with the extension. New cap hits for 2019-2021 are 5.025, 3.05 and 3.175 million. 

At the very least he shouldn't make it to the 2020 roster. They can cut him and save 1.8 million which is twice as much as you have to pay a kid to kick at the same 66% clip that he's been at for the last calendar year

3 minutes ago, The Jokeman said:

I like this idea. 

Sounds great but there's a certain Evil Empire that is looking for yet another kicker right now....why would anyone take a practice squad spot when there's a job available on the 53 somewhere

1 hour ago, Dopey said:

I have no problem with us not agreeing on the confidence boost part, but I still believe Beane isn't the type to risk his job over a player's feeling of insecurity. He wanted to lock up a good kicker, expecting a return to pre-injury form. If he waits and Haush is the top kicker in the league right now, Haush asks for more than $2 million or tests FA after this season. We'll see how the rest of the season plays out, but he seems to be coming around over the last few games. 
Hopefully you didn't take my "dumb" as I was speaking about you. The "dumb" comment was directed at the staff. If that was the reason they did give him the contract extension, that was a dumb move by Beane. 

I dont think Beane or anyone else would even remotely consider extending a kicker who doesnt work out as "risking his job"

Again, this is only the type of thing you would do with a kicker. In the grand scheme of things it was low risk- high reward.

Lastly, I knew what you meant by "dumb" and Thought I referred to it accordingly in my post.

4 minutes ago, JM57 said:

Not sure where we're getting $2 million from. That's lower than even the base salary of his extension. Original deal was 3 years for 8.85 million. Extension was 2 years for 9 million tacked on. Cap hits were 2.6, 3.0 and 3.25 million on the original deal. 3.25 was ripped up with the extension. New cap hits for 2019-2021 are 5.025, 3.05 and 3.175 million. 

At the very least he shouldn't make it to the 2020 roster. They can cut him and save 1.8 million which is twice as much as you have to pay a kid to kick at the same 66% clip that he's been at for the last calendar year

Sounds great but there's a certain Evil Empire that is looking for yet another kicker right now....why would anyone take a practice squad spot when there's a job available on the 53 somewhere

If I'm the Bills I tell him we'll extend him in the offseason to compete again in 2020 because if he goes to New England he's likely done after this season. 

Edited by The Jokeman