49ers release K Chase McLaughlin... Update: Claimed by Colts - Bills and Pats placed claim.

whatdrought

32 minutes ago, JM57 said:

Most of his misses came with the Chargers, in his first few games in the league. I'm still okay with it. With the 49ers he only missed one kick, and that was after he nailed one from 47 to force OT. 

But, oh what a miss it was.

• Like (+1) 1

37 minutes ago, Kiva said:

Haoushka is shot. Sign chase now. No more losing games (Browns) because our kicker is a head case. 

cut Houshka, sign Chase 

I am not against this completely but this kid missed a game winner also- it seems many kickers this year have the yips.

2 minutes ago, Buffalo Timmy said:

I am not against this completely but this kid missed a game winner also- it seems many kickers this year have the yips.

Houshka has to be one of the worse kickers in the league. Make the change. 

1 hour ago, IgotBILLStopay said:

https://www.espn.com/nfl/player/gamelog/_/id/3150744/chase-mclaughlin

5/9 40-49 yards. I will pass and roll the dice with Haushka since he is not a clear upgrade. Hope the Pats sign him and he misses a few kicks for them.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/player/_/id/11923/stephen-hauschka

for comparison, Haushka is 7/8 at 40-49 yards in a down year

Haushka is also at 1/5 for 50+ which I suppose ties McLaughlin whose 1/1

22 minutes ago, Kiva said:

Houshka has to be one of the worse kickers in the league. Make the change. 

He's losing his consistency but he is not one of the worst kickers in the league we've seen a lot worse.

39 minutes ago, london_bills said:

Mcdermott is operating differently to other coaches. It's clear he is giving players more chances after mistakes. 

Yeldon, Bojo, Hauschka etc

I will give him the benefit of the doubt due to results. 

Yes, that worked very well with Nathan Peterman.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, Warcodered said:

He's losing his consistency but he is not one of the worst kickers in the league we've seen a lot worse.

27th and 28th in FG% the last two seasons, in a league where at least a few teams are churning through multiple kickers a season, so right at the bottom of the barrel for the "every week" guys.

Priorto the cheap shot Jets game last year, he was 17/19. He finished the season at 22/28, or 5/9 down the stretch, and is now 15/21 this season. That's 20/30, or 66.7%, in his last 16 games. That is A LOT of missed kicks.

Hausch-money is gone guys. I don't know if it's mental or the cheap shot messed him up physically but it's probably time to accept that he could be washed.

Edited by JM57

2 hours ago, IgotBILLStopay said:

https://www.espn.com/nfl/player/gamelog/_/id/3150744/chase-mclaughlin

5/9 40-49 yards. I will pass and roll the dice with Haushka since he is not a clear upgrade. Hope the Pats sign him and he misses a few kicks for them.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/player/_/id/11923/stephen-hauschka

for comparison, Haushka is 7/8 at 40-49 yards in a down year

Please do not inject facts into the discussion.

I just don't understand why we gave Hausckha a 2 year extension when we had time to make that decision after the season was over.

We gave him an $8 million extension & now we're committed to him, unless we eat some dead cap by letting him go.

But i just scratch my head at that one, as does everyone else i've talked to about it. There simply wasnt a hurry to extend him & every reason to wait to see how this season turned out. Its not like Hauschka was just gonna turn into a hot commodity & be looking to leave. We had time to go over our options.

Hopefully he turns it around in this final stretch. But if he doesn't i hope we can find an upgrade. Our place kicker is a pretty important position for us, given the close nature of a lot of our games.

Maybe there's a reason 2 teams dropped him. He is 5/9 from 40-49 and missed a game winning kick himself.  From the "Star needs to go" to the "Shaq sucks" to the "Oliver is a bust" to the "Duke must start" etc., etc. on this board, this staff has proven to be right. If they find a better kicker, fine. Chase is not better, he's just a different name. Could be wrong, but I don't see this happening.

• Thank you (+1) 1

37 minutes ago, brianthomas said:

I just don't understand why we gave Hausckha a 2 year extension when we had time to make that decision after the season was over.

We gave him an $8 million extension & now we're committed to him, unless we eat some dead cap by letting him go.

But i just scratch my head at that one, as does everyone else i've talked to about it. There simply wasnt a hurry to extend him & every reason to wait to see how this season turned out. Its not like Hauschka was just gonna turn into a hot commodity & be looking to leave. We had time to go over our options.

Hopefully he turns it around in this final stretch. But if he doesn't i hope we can find an upgrade. Our place kicker is a pretty important position for us, given the close nature of a lot of our games.

Im pretty sure they did that to boost his confidence and get him over the mental hurdle. It didn't work.

11 minutes ago, Dopey said:

Maybe there's a reason 2 teams dropped him. He is 5/9 from 40-49 and missed a game winning kick himself.  From the "Star needs to go" to the "Shaq sucks" to the "Oliver is a bust" to the "Duke must start" etc., etc. on this board, this staff has proven to be right. If they find a better kicker, fine. Chase is not better, he's just a different name. Could be wrong, but I don't see this happening.

I know. 9-3

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Warcodered said:

Comparing 50+ yard FG percent is not correct - it is subject to self selection bias. Hauschka has range much greater than 50 yards. McLaughlin's max range is 50 yards. Even the one he made was exactly 50 yards. The reason he is perfect 1/1 is that teams dont have him kick 50+ FGs whereas McD regularly has Hauschka have a go at 50+ (Hauschka made 13 straight 50+ last year).

That is why 40-49 is the correct comparison.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, JM57 said:

27th and 28th in FG% the last two seasons, in a league where at least a few teams are churning through multiple kickers a season, so right at the bottom of the barrel for the "every week" guys.

Priorto the cheap shot Jets game last year, he was 17/19. He finished the season at 22/28, or 5/9 down the stretch, and is now 15/21 this season. That's 20/30, or 66.7%, in his last 16 games. That is A LOT of missed kicks.

Hausch-money is gone guys. I don't know if it's mental or the cheap shot messed him up physically but it's probably time to accept that he could be washed.

He really should take that player to small claims court since it clearly was against rules for future earnings.

Good luck to Chase. Kickers have a rough time in the league although the best ones play longer than most players in NFL.