Joe B. All-22 vs Cowboys: Ford may have sealed his fate as a Guard in 2020

YoloinOhio

I think ford can improve but I think he’s coming along just fine. 
He gives us the speed rush to the outside but I don’t have a problem with that because Allen slides up and escapes right where his big plays tend to happen. 

I think he’s been solid the past few games. 

Anyone else not really that concerned about it? I agree he's probably not a RT and given how often we scheme help for him the coaching staff seems unsure about the situation too. Spain is UFA this off season. We can still get value out of the pick shifting him inside, and he can still play T in a pinch. I'd rather let Spain walk and find a decent RT in FA. 

Edit: plus we still have Nsekhe under contract next year. 

Edited by VW82

18 hours ago, whatdrought said:

Brian Balldinger said the exact opposite about Ford... Not sure whose take is more accurate. 

Also, I'm not okay letting Spain walk just to try Ford at guard. I don't care what his pedigree is. 

I mean... i dunno.... but ya gotta think the former pro lineman would have a better idea than the reporter-right?

Edited by gobills1212

Sometimes tackles allow a DE to beat them way outside knowing full well that they will wall off the path easily as a QB simply steps up. This creates huge passing lanes and open field to play with. I'm not saying that Ford hasn't been beat at times but some of the replays look like guys are flying by him but in reality they are out of position to make a play. It would be a bigger mistake for a tackle to chase a DE way out into space.

9 hours ago, N.Y. Orangeman said:

Joe Buscaglia’s football resume includes:

”Joe has lived in Buffalo for all but two years of his life, graduating from St. Francis High School (2004) and then from Buffalo State College (2008). He also spent his first two collegiate years on the campus of Florida State University.

A nerd in every sense of the term, Joe enjoys breaking down football film, coaching youth athletics, playing Settlers of Catan with his best friends, knowing far too much about the Harry Potter series, and building up an embarrassingly extensive collection of colorful socks.“

I’ll take Baldy

FSU to Buff State? Jeez, talk about a downgrade.

22 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

This is the way I think its going to play out

Spain is going to want a huge contract......one of the reasons he was even available to us was because he was waiting for money that never materialized and it didnt happen.

He has been solid this year.....on a team going to the playoffs......and when the season is over he is going to be looking for one again.

Ford is waiting in the wings as a starting guard....and we have a insane amount of depth at the position.

Ford to LT.....Jon F. gets extended at RT.......we keep the ex Jet C/G and the guy we traded for as depth......we find another RT.

Ford to LT seems insane at this point in the conversation, doesn't it, John?

I mean, no offense pardner, but that's just wrong.

6 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Eric Wood seems to think he can.  Von Miller gave him props.  Huh.

Eric Wood thinks everyone on the Bills OL can block.   He's still a teammate.

Von Miller?   What was the ratio in that game 50 run plays to 25 pass plays?   That's the definition of a long day for an undersized edge player.

Just use your eyes.   You pointed it out yourself with that play you illustrated.   You can just throw a dart at any random pass play and there is a good chance that the only guy running free at the QB is was Ford's man.  ?     

• Like (+1) 1

23 hours ago, whatdrought said:

Same. I think Spain has been one of the unsung heroes of this team and I don't see any reason not to sign him. I would keep Dawkins, Spain, More, and Feliciano and then figure RT out - whether or not that can be Ford. 

I think Spain has been solid, but I just have a feeling that with what’s out there this off-season, he’s going to get $7M-$9M on a 3-4 yr deal. I’m just not ready to do that for a guy who’s ok. 
Pay Dawkins, we can pay Morse, and if Feliciano keeps his play up next year, we can play him. 

Spain is a road grader, perfect for a run heavy scheme, but I feel his abilities aren’t very rare or hard to find. 

Long and a mid round draft pick along with a cheap UFA if they feel the necessity, should be able to figure that spot out. 

On 12/3/2019 at 6:05 PM, whatdrought said:

Brian Balldinger said the exact opposite about Ford... Not sure whose take is more accurate. 

Also, I'm not okay letting Spain walk just to try Ford at guard. I don't care what his pedigree is. 

They can sign Spain to a 2 year deal. We need depth no matter what and Ford is still cheap. Unless Spain wants more than $ 5, he can stay. 

17 minutes ago, Locomark said:

They can sign Spain to a 2 year deal. We need depth no matter what and Ford is still cheap. Unless Spain wants more than $ 5, he can stay. 

Considering Spain has put in a good season through 12 games and the absolute lack of quality O-line play in the NFL means that it is going to get paid starting caliber guard money around 6.5-7.5 aav if I had to guess. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Beane proved he can find olinemen and in particular interior ones in FA last off season. I think we will see another signing like Feliciano. I think Brandon will try to resign Spain but won’t overpay. Long is a possibility as a starter at guard next year. Bills will sign another vet tackle to compete. Ford will start at RT in training camp. Players do get better. I don’t see Beane and McDermott only giving Ford one season to show he can play RT.

• Like (+1) 1