Joe B. All-22 vs Cowboys: Ford may have sealed his fate as a Guard in 2020

YoloinOhio

I too think the Bills move Ford to RG... Move Feliciano to LG, Spain does not resign. 

Bills Draft OT, one that played LT or has potential to play LT but will play RT as a rookie. Also insurance for Dawkins being in a contract year.

Alex Leatherwood, Austin Jackson, Tristan Wirf, Walker Little... there’s about 4-5 OTs being talked about now as round 1 guys. Potential to be a best player available too.

• Like (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, Scott7975 said:

This is pretty surprising.  I don't watch tape other than what people post and I don't have a subscription to see what he is talking about.  However, I thought the line looked like it played pretty damn well outside of a few plays.  Even the best line in the league will have some bad plays.

Those few plays where they didnt look good have been from Ford. He's a step behind the DE most of the time and isnt quick enough to catch up. Unless he finds some technique to change that, he'll continue getting beat around the edge.

It wasnt just Dallas either. Find the blown plays from other games and you'll see Ford missing assignments on the right side. 

• Like (+1) 2

I haven't broken down film or anything, but to the naked eye it certainly looks like he has struggled in 1v1 pass protection. However, I think it's crazy to say that he has "sealed his fate" to play guard. The guy is a rookie. I think he deserves a chance to work on his game a little- at least one offseason, at minimum.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, vincec said:

I haven't broken down film or anything, but to the naked eye it certainly looks like he has struggled in 1v1 pass protection. However, I think it's crazy to say that he has "sealed his fate" to play guard. The guy is a rookie. I think he deserves a chance to work on his game a little- at least one offseason, at minimum.

That's where I am.

• Like (+1) 1

This is the way I think its going to play out

Spain is going to want a huge contract......one of the reasons he was even available to us was because he was waiting for money that never materialized and it didnt happen.

He has been solid this year.....on a team going to the playoffs......and when the season is over he is going to be looking for one again.

Ford is waiting in the wings as a starting guard....and we have a insane amount of depth at the position.

Ford to LT.....Jon F. gets extended at RT.......we keep the ex Jet C/G and the guy we traded for as depth......we find another RT.

7 minutes ago, Captain_Quint said:

Those few plays where they didnt look good have been from Ford. He's a step behind the DE most of the time and isnt quick enough to catch up. Unless he finds some technique to change that, he'll continue getting beat around the edge.

It wasnt just Dallas either. Find the blown plays from other games and you'll see Ford missing assignments on the right side. 

Im sure you are correct on that.  I've seen him get blown up a few times when paying attention to it.

The Bills definitely like versatile OL. I think if a stud OT falls their way in the draft or in free agency they might move him to guard - especially if Spain walks (hopefully not) - and they can always kick him back outside if need be. But for now I think we need to see Ford grow through experience and give him a chance to stay. He just needs work on his technique in pass pro. It can be coached. 

31 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

I've taken some heat for mocking his pass pro lately.     It's just been a fact that.   He's not good in pass pro.

But two of his worst plays Thursday did lead to TD's.......Allen bolting from the pocket and throwing the TD pass to Beasley and running the other one in for a TD.

As I've said........the good things are that Ford is on Allen's front side so he can keep an eye on his whiffs and that Allen can get away and make big plays out of the pocket.

Sounds like it was all part of Brian “from the booth” Daboll’s scheme. Just like he drew it up. 

• Haha (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, vincec said:

Yeah he hasn't sealed his fate.    And even if he never becomes a good pass blocker he could start for a long time at RT.   Most RT's suck in pass pro.   It's a position that teams just assume they are going to have to help a lot with TE's and backs chipping etc..   

43 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

If he was one on one with such a good defensive end and the offense played that well then I am confident he is not terrible. If Joe is simply stating his skill set is more in line with a guard then I can accept it but do not say he was dominated when our line generally was so much better than theirs.

37 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

Brian Balldinger said the exact opposite about Ford... Not sure whose take is more accurate. 

Also, I'm not okay letting Spain walk just to try Ford at guard. I don't care what his pedigree is. 

The last paragraph is absolutely correct...at the very least, Ford will need to see stiff competition at guard...we still don’t even know if he is adequate at that position- no way in hell should the Bills just hand it to him because he was a high pick.

• Like (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, njbuff said:

How come current and former NFL players have said Ford was solid?

I’m confused by this analysis too.

It could be that Joe does not always know what he is looking at, does he have a history of this type of expertise? Does anyone have an answer to this question?