Joe B. All-22 vs Cowboys: Ford may have sealed his fate as a Guard in 2020

YoloinOhio

Ford had a tough matchup against defensive end DeMarcus Lawrence, and the Cowboys did a great job of isolating those two in the game. When Lawrence was working against Ford one-on-one, the pass rusher thoroughly dominated the offensive lineman all game and routinely blew up the pocket against the Bills. As you’ll see in the clips below, the same problem from the spring, summer and fall has persisted into the summer. In pass-blocking, Ford is not quick enough at the line of scrimmage and doesn’t have quick feet to make up for it in his kick slide. It leads to the rookie abandoning his technique and going into “chase” mode with his back to the line of scrimmage. If his opponent is skilled at bending the edge, he’s almost certain to win the matchup. While Lawrence is a tough assignment, you’d expect to see some flashes of potential from Ford.

Ford has the skillset of a guard and looks like he’s playing out of position in the NFL. The Bills have had to play him there in 2019 out of the necessity, because of Ty Nsekhe’s injury. At the end of the season, with left guard Quinton Spain on an expiring contract, the Bills should finally slide Ford inside and see if he can realize his potential. As for right tackle, the Bills should be back in the market for one in the 2020 NFL Draft.

• Like (+1) 9
  • Thank you (+1) 2

I've taken some heat for mocking his pass pro lately.     It's just been a fact that.   He's not good in pass pro.

But two of his worst plays Thursday did lead to TD's.......Allen bolting from the pocket and throwing the TD pass to Beasley and running the other one in for a TD.

As I've said........the good things are that Ford is on Allen's front side so he can keep an eye on his whiffs and that Allen can get away and make big plays out of the pocket.

• Like (+1) 5

13 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

Brian Balldinger said the exact opposite about Ford... Not sure whose take is more accurate. 

Also, I'm not okay letting Spain walk just to try Ford at guard. I don't care what his pedigree is. 

Doesn't necessarily mean we have to let Spain go next year either - Long could be the odd man out at back-up Guard positions if we push Ford inside.

in general to Ford, his footwork/agility was always a concern for the Tackle position in the NFL, but the kid is a stud in run blocking and while on his rookie contract there's no reason to dismiss him this early whatsoever. Hopefully Nsekhe is back sooner than later for this season's playoff push, and we can see about other RT options moving forward or if Ford improves with a good offseason. 

That said, Joe B. is consistently down on him where others have seen promise and good play. No question he's had bad reps against two of the best DE's in the league, as to be expected for any rookie, but he's been able to hold his own when needed as well. We also seem to have played both Denver and Dallas well enough with Ford at RT, so I'm not entirely concerned until Nsekhe's back either. 

Edited by ctk232

This is pretty surprising.  I don't watch tape other than what people post and I don't have a subscription to see what he is talking about.  However, I thought the line looked like it played pretty damn well outside of a few plays.  Even the best line in the league will have some bad plays.

Just now, Scott7975 said:

This is pretty surprising.  I don't watch tape other than what people post and I don't have a subscription to see what he is talking about.  However, I thought the line looked like it played pretty damn well outside of a few plays.  Even the best line in the league will have some bad plays.

Especially against the one of the best pass rushing teams in the league. 

The last two games have been against elite competition and we've heard mixed reviews about ford. I'm fine waiting to a bit longer before deciding his fate for next year. 

Just now, Hapless Bills Fan said:

It's not unheard of for OL players to improve a lot with a good offseason.

I personally am not in favor of moving on from Spain.

Same. I think Spain has been one of the unsung heroes of this team and I don't see any reason not to sign him. I would keep Dawkins, Spain, More, and Feliciano and then figure RT out - whether or not that can be Ford. 

• Like (+1) 3

11 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

I've taken some heat for mocking his pass pro lately.     It's just been a fact that.   He's not good in pass pro.

But two of his worst plays Thursday did lead to TD's.......Allen bolting from the pocket and throwing the TD pass to Beasley and running the other one in for a TD.

According to Erik Turner's piece in The Athletic on the play concepts behind the Beasley TD, it's less bolting from the pocket than the designed roll-out and secondary routes concepts from Mouse Davis run-and-shoot that Beasley ran at SMU under June Jones.

It's not just pass protection that's a weakness for Ford.  There have been too many good Allen runs called back by holding against Ford.  None vs. Dallas, but before that 1 each vs Cle, Mia, Den.  The Cle was particularly killer as it negated a nice Singletary run and turned 1st and 15 into 1st and 25 in the 3Q with a 9-9 tie game. (the 1st and 15 was due to a false start penalty, guess who?).  We made it 3rd and 3 then had to punt.

Just now, Hapless Bills Fan said:

According to Erik Turner's piece in The Athletic on the play concepts behind the Beasley TD, it's less bolting from the pocket than the designed roll-out and secondary routes concepts from Mouse Davis run-and-shoot that Beasley ran at SMU under June Jones.

All credit to Daboll for turning a vulnerability in pass pro into an opportunity then.........5D chess. ♟️   

He can't pass block........you know that right?:flirt: