Is Josh Allen Good Now? (SB Nation)

Heitz

I thought this was a decent breakdown, but some of the examples were just wrong... He referenced the shot to Foster as one of his worst passes, and while it wasn't a great pass, it wasn't a "bad" pass in that it was a typical 50-50 ball, just under-thrown... He also said something about how Allen should have chosen a different target, but the gif he shows clearly shows all the other receivers blanketed. 

• Like (+1) 5

Fair read on Josh, they mention a lot of what he does well and the areas where he still needs to improve. Allen "as is" is going to be an OK QB. But if he can make solid improvements to his game he can ascend to a consistent top 10 QB and possibly depending on how much he improves his deficiencies and build off of his strengths he can be a top 5 QB, but he has a long way to but is getting there. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, billsfan89 said:

Fair read on Josh, they mention a lot of what he does well and the areas where he still needs to improve. Allen "as is" is going to be an OK QB. But if he can make solid improvements to his game he can ascend to a consistent top 10 QB and possibly depending on how much he improves his deficiencies and build off of his strengths he can be a top 5 QB, but he has a long way to but is getting there. 

I agree with you.  Adding more real play makers to the wide receiver group will facilitate his further development as well. 

4 hours ago, whatdrought said:

I thought this was a decent breakdown, but some of the examples were just wrong... He referenced the shot to Foster as one of his worst passes, and while it wasn't a great pass, it wasn't a "bad" pass in that it was a typical 50-50 ball, just under-thrown... He also said something about how Allen should have chosen a different target, but the gif he shows clearly shows all the other receivers blanketed. 

I had the same thought about his example of Josh running when he could have re-set and thrown....in the particular example he chose, I think he had no space between the pressure and the LOS.

3 hours ago, HOUSE said:

David Carr doesn't trust him

I'm pretty sure Allen doesn't trust David Carr, so there's that

9 hours ago, whatdrought said:

but some of the examples were just wrong... He referenced the shot to Foster as one of his worst passes, and while it wasn't a great pass, it wasn't a "bad" pass in that it was a typical 50-50 ball, just

Thank you!!!

I actually really liked this pass.

This is a pass we’ve watched a bunch of the best QBs make for years. It shows a QB who trusts his receiver to go up and make a play.

How many times have we seen a play like this to Gronk where you are just shaking your head when he gets it? Not calling Foster , Gronk but you get the point.

When we have receivers in the future would like this to become a normal occurrence with a different outcome.

• Like (+1) 2

Didn’t think it was all that great, he really was stretching to find negatives in his recent play. It started out good but went down hill.  Picks in the one int he’s thrown in weeks where Allen admittedly misread the defense and didn’t expect the safety to be over the top. He’s improving, we all see that, the only quest is how much further will he progress...

The biggest improvements with Josh Allen are really with trusting the offensive game plan and trusting his other players.  Its not all just on him to make every play.  His Sr. year in college and much of last year in the NFL - he was trying to do to much and that won't work in the NFL where your going against 11 other pro football players.  He got thrown into the fire a little to early but that did help him with other things such as getting used to the speed of the game and timing.  But really, how many nfl qb's get thrown into a situation without a real nfl qb to learn from and then given several below average receivers to work with.  I think Josh Allen has only begun to be an NFL quarterback.  

• Thank you (+1) 1

All i know is that at the beginning of the year 90 percent of Josh's INT"s came from him rolling right going backwards and trying to arm it up the field.  He has stopped doing that.  In my opinion that was a habit and he managed to break it which speaks to his mental fortitude.  

I personally don't care that he hasn't thrown a 300 yard game yet.  All he does is win.

• Like (+1) 1

Haven't read it, but I can see it as another half glass empty, half full article.....

If Lamar then everyone would be gushing over incompletions and making the right decision or throwing it to where only the receiver could get it.

105 yards passing vs. SF & nothing really to WR's.  Is he assessing the whole field?  Of course the announcers blamed the weather (and some validity).

Rushing yards included 14 yards & a lost fumble.....  Maybe should remove those from his stats.

I've been Glass Half Full & think Allen has been stunted by the offense & lack of opening it up & really seeing what he can do.

Here's Lamar's 2018 vs. Josh's

https://www.espn.com/nfl/player/gamelog/_/id/3916387/type/nfl/year/2018

https://www.espn.com/nfl/player/gamelog/_/id/3918298/type/nfl/year/2018

Also see Joe Flacco's #'s before he was benched.....  Not too bad & compare that to Nathan Peterman's......

https://www.espn.com/nfl/player/gamelog/_/id/11252/type/nfl/year/2018

Thus as Allen is the Bills QB, I'd say that he's dealt with more adversity & go as far as to say his #'s are comparable (when you throw out NE).....

Edited by Billsfan1972

2 minutes ago, njbuff said:

Is it me or does it seem that Josh Allen's EVERY pass is still scrutinized?

?

It's hard to shake a negative.  Josh is going to have to live with this for a bit longer and it'll take a lot more good passes to shake this stigma.  it'll come.