David Carr: Four Offenses I Don't Trust (Bills one of them)

MJS

Whenever you read a analysis of the Bills you can tell who watches them and who doesn’t. That doesn’t even mean that “if they say good things” they watch and “if they say bad things they don’t.” An analyst could say “the Bills play a lot of close games and with their struggles in the kicking game I worry that it will cost them a playoff game.” That’s not positive analysis but I think every Bills fan in the world would “accept” that analysis. Whoever formed that opinion has been paying attention. 

Carr isn’t paying attention. It’s fine if someone doesn’t trust the Bills offense. His analysis though is wrong. The Bills haven’t been playing “backyard football.” If he’s referring to Allen escaping and making plays what are the Ravens doing? The Bills are intentionally moving pockets and even running QB sweeps. They are trying to expand what the defense has to account for. They have expanded their playbook over the last few weeks.

Edited by Kirby Jackson
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Whenever you read a analysis of the Bills you can tell who watches them and who doesn’t. That doesn’t even mean that “if they say good things” they watch and “if they say bad things they don’t.” An analyst could say “the Bills play a lot of close games and with their struggles in the kicking game I worry that it will cost them a playoff game.” That’s not positive analysis but I think every Bills fan in the world would “accept” that analysis. Whoever formed that opinion has been paying attention. 

Carr isn’t paying attention. It’s fine if someone doesn’t trust the Bills offense. His analysis though is wrong. The Bills haven’t been playing “backyard football.” If he’s referring to Allen escaping and making plays what are the Ravens doing? The Bills are intentionally moving pockets and even running QB sweeps. They are trying to expand what the defense has to account for. They have expanded their playbook over the last few weeks.

Yea I was with him in the first part, but I thought his reasoning was going to be because it is a small sample size against mediocre teams or something. But he just went off the rails. What about the last three games says that turnovers are looming? Aging offense...that has Frank Gore, John Brown, and Cole Beasley. Cole is the only guy you "maybe" worry about while Smoke leads the AFC in receiving. He clearly doesnt watch. 

• Like (+1) 1

38 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Right on.  There is plenty to criticize about the Bills, Carr missed.  Even on factual, inarguable stuff like where we rank vs. the rest of the league on offense.

• Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, Sherlock Holmes said:

Let me guess, his brother isn't on the list

Oh, hey, and Oakland - they're 6-6 and they should be "in it", just one game back of Titans and Stillers for a WC slot.

Now there's an offense where I'd like to know what's going on.  3 points against the Jets and 9 against the Chiefs, Are You Kidding Me? 

127 yds against the Jets D without CJ Mosely? 3 INT and 1 TD in 2 games?

Mmmmmmmm, Trustworthy!

• Haha (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Exactly.

We all know the team isn't perfect. We know the offense has had struggles. There are countless things to point out, even about Allen as a QB. But the things Carr decided to use as evidence just don't make any sense.

I actually assumed the Bills would NOT be featured on such an article, because the Bills offense has not been that good anyway, so why say you don't trust them? They aren't a top 15 offense, so of course you wouldn't trust them. But they have been improving steadily and Josh Allen has been reading defenses better and making more progress in the scheme and play designs. Nothing about that is backyard football.