David Carr: Four Offenses I Don't Trust (Bills one of them)

MJS

4 minutes ago, billsbackto81 said:

Never said it wasn't effective.?

Carr said he doesn't trust Buffalos offense because he claims it's a backyard type offense and he feels turnovers are looming. Yet it is more conventional than anything Baltimore runs. Not saying the Ravens offense is not effective because it obviously is, but it's more " backyard and playground" type football than anything in the NFL right now. 

It really isn't backyard and playground type football though.  Yes, there are occasions where they go into scramble drills (like every team) but if you watch their film, it's a defined offense - it's just an unusual one for an NFL team.

I do think that the lack of a consistent outside option outside of Brown and Josh's still to come growing pains (I think Josh will have at least one more bad game as some team throws something at him that he won't respond well to) will stall out the offense once they start to play elite defenses. But the scheme and all these sort of non-sensical complaints are just kind of stupid and reek of someone being lazy and not actually watching the games or understanding the stats. 

2 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

It really isn't backyard and playground type football though.  Yes, there are occasions where they go into scramble drills (like every team) but if you watch their film, it's a defined offense - it's just an unusual one for an NFL team.

Thats the point Hap. True, it may not be termed as backyard but like you said it's unusual for an NFL team. 

22 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Bad take there

Is it? Because it’s certainly a piece of my childhood.... Saw my first serious knee injury when my friend Jake got hit by a corolla while we were playing ball in the street. ???

27 minutes ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

And being Baltimore, a few drive by shootings.

Except he’s from Florida. ?‍♂️

Edited by Buffalo Junction

7 minutes ago, billsbackto81 said:

Thats the point Hap. True, it may not be termed as backyard but like you said it's unusual for an NFL team. 

To your point and to the point of the OP/Carr's comments:

To me, "backyard" or "street" football is everyone freelancing. 

My point is that in some of the stuff the Bills offense showed vs Cowboys and in some of the stuff the Ravens do, it is not at all freelancing.  Even when Allen is rolling out, he's looking for a defined secondary route that hopefully he and his WR are seeing the same way.  Likewise, Lamar is escaping from the pocket and making anticipatory throws to places where he expects a WR to be, based on the play design.

Carr wrote what he did about "street football" and more INTs lurking because when the QB is trying to improvise, he is susceptible to having the throw jumped by the defenders or to not seeing a defender who is as well positioned as the receiver.  And Allen did fall prey to that early in the season - against NE for example. 

But Allen seems to have cleaned up his act there.

Anyway, if the Ravens were truly playing street or backyard football and leading the league with it that would be 1) amazing 2) unstoppable.  In theory, because they are executing defined plays with options, it SHOULD be possible to shut them down or at least hinder them; teams just haven't managed it yet.