David Carr: Four Offenses I Don't Trust (Bills one of them)

MJS

Gives credit to Allen & the offense for having only 1 turnover the past few weeks, and then goes on to say he believes turnovers are looming.

That doesnt even make sense. If we haven't been committing turnovers then they shouldn't be a future worry. Other than in the general sense of always wanting to limit them.

And last season Allen was playing back yard football. This year its more of a run & shoot type style, with throwing from the pocket & roll outs.

David Carr just got sacked too many times. Sheesh

50 minutes ago, MJS said:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001083664/article/offensive-player-rankings-week-14-four-offenses-i-dont-trust

BUFFALO BILLS: "I'm sure Josh Allen and the Bills enjoyed every bite of turkey on their flight back to Buffalo after blowing past the floundering Cowboys on Thanksgiving Day. I have to give the young passer credit because he has improved across the board from his rookie campaign -- and even within the past few weeks. He's played at a high level since Week 11 -- the Bills are 3-0 since then -- with eight total touchdowns (two rushing) and just one turnover. The reason the Bills are on my list: While Allen leads the league's third-best pass offense, he's is too much of a wild card. His style of play isn't super clean or efficient, and at times it looks like the Bills are playing too much backyard football, causing me to believe turnovers are still looming. And when I think about the receiving corps, while talented, I'm not sure there is any one player who really makes me nervous. Maybe Cole Beasley. Maybe. This is a young offense -- other than ol' Frank Gore -- that will be seriously tested down the stretch with games against the Ravens (10-2), Steelers (7-5) and Patriots (10-2) over the next three weeks. Hopefully Buffalo's offense continues to play well and proves me wrong."

Honestly, I don't really understand his analysis. The Bills don't appear to me to be playing "backyard football". What about their scheme has anything to do with "backyard football"? Josh Allen is "too much of a wildcard" why? He has been taking care of the football, throwing the ball to open receivers. I don't see him throwing into coverage anymore or playing hero ball. "His style of play isn't super clean or efficient"? What does he mean by that? Allen is one of the best in the league in the 11-20 range on passes.

Seems to me like David Carr hasn't actually been watching much of Allen. He probably watched the Pats game and made up his mind.

He's right and he's wrong.  It is true that Allen's play has not been super-clean.  For example, Allen's "Superman" 4th down conversion heroic run isn't necessary if the snap isn't mishandled in the first place (not sure who that's on, tho').  There are other examples (near-fumble on handoff to McKensie where it looks like Allen tried to pull it back and McKensie misread what was supposed to happen and hung on).

"Too much Backyard Football".  Mouse Davis and June Jones, let me introduce you to Mr. David Carr.  David Carr, let me introduce you to the Run-n-Shoot.  Have fun, Don't get Hurt.

Cole Beasley makes him more nervous than John Brown?  ?  Don't get me wrong, Beas should make a defense nervous - but the only reason Beasley is getting more dinner the last 2 games is 'cuz defense been covering Brown like a blanket.  But he's not all wrong.  It's still Brown, Beasley and who else?  Knox is promising but unreliable.  Kroft is the Invisible Man.  McKensie - well, see above, and basically McKensie and Foster are just learning to play WR.

45 minutes ago, Warcodered said:

3rd best pass offense...does he mean the defense? Is he paying attention at all?

I have absolutely no idea where this comes from.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

Just another piece that should be emailed/posted on the locker of every player.

"Nobody believes you are any good. Everyone still doubts you"

Watch them change their tune after disposing of the Ravens

• Like (+1) 2

47 minutes ago, Real McCoy said:

No mention of Smoke or Motor makes his take irrelevant.

I guarantee you Smoke with his 4.3 speed and now knowing he can run the route tree makes most DC's nervous, especially with the football equivalent of a 16 inch rifle at the launching point.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

If his entire take was: "while they're playing well the past three games, I need to see more before I'll be convinced they've figured things out." and left it at that, it'd be a good take. Going into detail revealed that he's just wrong and coming from a place that lacks knowledge. 

• Like (+1) 2

Maybe Carr doesn't trust the offense because he doesn't understand it. And if you don't know what an offense/defense is ranked don't try to fake it. It makes someone appear uneducated and lazy. Neither trait provides reliability or trust.

I wouldn't call it backyard football at all.  Maybe some of his earlier "hero ball" games looked like that but recent games has me thinking we have an NFL offense that's only going to get better as they continue to hit their stride and jell. 

What I would say is Josh may not be one of the best QBs in the league at this point.  What he is though is a gamer that will do whatever it takes to win.  So, while maybe someone else thinks that's backyard football.. I think its just the greatest type of player to have on our team.

• Like (+1) 2