Ron Rivera fired

Buffalo Boy

Not shocked. Watching All or Nothing in the summer I was shocked how little coaching I saw. Now I know the way these things are edited is about being good for TV but every team meeting they showed seemed to be:

"We gotta have this one. Do it for the guy next to you. Don't let him down." 

No correction. No fundamentals. No different approach to the gameplan. Just more rah- rah. I came away from that documentary totally unimpressed. People have suggested his name in connection with Dallas but even Jason Garrett did more coaching in the Cowboys All or Nothing season. I think Ron is a good guy. He came across as someone who was respected in the building. But seriously I was left questioning how good of a coach he was. 

If the owner is seeing that day after day then no wonder they moved on. 

Good luck Perry Fewell. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I don't agree with this, The guy had a banged up Newton last year and 2nd year undrafted QB this year.  Before these last 2 years he made the playoffs 4 out of the previous 5 seasons. 

Also no reason to do him dirty mid season..like that ever helps any.

• Thank you (+1) 1

Recalling that I got flamed by one very negative poster for suggesting over the summer that Rivera wouldn't make it past this year.  

Comments here are 100% accurate about him being over-rated and not an x's and o's guy.  

Laughing at the suggestion that he'll get a head coaching job next year.  There are lots of stupid teams out there, but thinking he'll be somewhere off with Mike McCarthy as guys that got real stale in one spot and aren't as valued outside of their original org

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Not shocked. Watching All or Nothing in the summer I was shocked how little coaching I saw. Now I know the way these things are edited is about being good for TV but every team meeting they showed seemed to be:

"We gotta have this one. Do it for the guy next to you. Don't let him down." 

No correction. No fundamentals. No different approach to the gameplan. Just more rah- rah. I came away from that documentary totally unimpressed. People have suggested his name in connection with Dallas but even Jason Garrett did more coaching in the Cowboys All or Nothing season. I think Ron is a good guy. He came across as someone who was respected in the building. But seriously I was left questioning how good of a coach he was. 

If the owner is seeing that day after day then no wonder they moved on. 

Good luck Perry Fewell. 

He's a perfectly decent coach, and I would NEVER judge coaching acumen based upon snippets from those shows. His won/loss record is pretty good, although he has only 3 winning seasons to 6  losing ones (lots of seven-win seasons). https://www.pro-football-reference.com/coaches/RiveRo0.htm.

He has a pretty good track as a coordinator as well and coached under some good people (Andy Reid). He has had genuinely bad luck at the QB position the last two seasons, and that accounts for a lot of the losing. 

Edited by dave mcbride
  • Like (+1) 2

Boy! Does the NFL have a short memory or what? Recent two time coach of the year (2013 and 2015). His starting QB is out all season and they almost beat the Saints 10 days ago! Just grab him as a special assistant!! All his experience with Can Newton will come in handy for JA's offense as well as defense against Lamar.

Just now, dave mcbride said:

He's a perfectly decent coach, and I would NEVER judge coaching acumen based upon snippets from those shows. His won/loss record is pretty good, although he has only 3 winning seasons to 6  losing ones (lots of seven-win seasons). https://www.pro-football-reference.com/coaches/RiveRo0.htm.

He has a pretty good track as a coordinator as well and coached under some good people (Andy Reid). 

Hmmm. I know those shows are ultimately about entertainment. But in every other season I have seen some coaching. I think Rivera is a good leader. I think guys want to play for him. But I am not convinced on him as a coach. 3 winning seasons in 9 years is not getting it done. 

• Like (+1) 1