Ron Rivera fired

Buffalo Boy

44 minutes ago, Rochesterfan said:

Nope - Kuechly has made a living as a MLB in the exact defense McDermott runs.  Up until this year  - with the switch to a 3-4 - he has always played the Edmunds role.  He is the perfect mentor and trainer to help Edmunds continue to grow.

I do not see them getting rid of Luke, but he would be a great add.  He has an in depth knowledge of this D and would be like another coach.

He also talked about his respect for McDermott during the summer - so I could see this if they let him go.  Mentor/future coach role.

He has significant trade value as both a pro bowl player (who is a little out of position this year) and a guy on a great contract for an acquiring team.

Contract expires in 2 years........just when you'd be looking at extending Edmunds.

1 hour ago, Logic said:

Me either. It would really stunt his development, in my opinion.

I just have to hope that Sean McDermott and Brandon Beane, being notoriously meticulous and well-prepared guys, have got a short list of OC replacements on hand, and that whoever they choose in this hypothetical scenario keeps things as similar as possible to Daboll's scheme.

I suppose I'm getting ahead of myself with all of this, but it IS one of the risks of having a head coach whose pedigree is defense. Having one's DEFENSIVE coordinator hired away isn't as big of a deal. Having to make wholesale changes to OFFENSIVE systems, though? Not so easy.

McDermott had a short list of coaches and he replaced the current coaches with those on the list when he first became head coach.

Where are those coaches now?

McDermott having a good OC replacement is not a given.

3 minutes ago, AmishRifle said:

Here’s to you Riverboat Ron!!  A good coach with a great heart.  

I remember the game in Buffalo where the always conservative Rivera basically got his team beat by playing it close to the vest............got criticized heavily for losing to the Bills..........then came out and started making more aggressive decisions.     The fact that he had to fail repeatedly and be scrutinized to realize that sometimes you gotta' go for it on 4th down seemed bizarre to me.   

2 hours ago, whatdrought said:

If they were smart they would do this. With that talent, get Rivera and a good OC (maybe just keep Monken) and they might actually have something. 

My money is on Dorsey replacing Kitchens with Mike McCarthy it someone from KC. He’s likely going to go with an offensive minded HC he knows and feels can command respect from those personalities. 

19 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

McDermott had a short list of coaches and he replaced the current coaches with those on the list when he first became head coach.

Where are those coaches now?

McDermott having a good OC replacement is not a given.

It’s not, but with Allen’s improvements and Beane’s willingness to upgrade the offense top candidates will interview and listen to offers. 

Edited by Buffalo Junction
  • Like (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

He has significant trade value as both a pro bowl player (who is a little out of position this year) and a guy on a great contract for an acquiring team.

Contract expires in 2 years........just when you'd be looking at extending Edmunds.

Agreed - when I said let him go - I meant decided not to keep him.  

Depending on the next coach - he is still a high level LB that is on a good contract. 

Not sure he will be available depending on the level of rebuild.

• Like (+1) 1

Woah. Suprised me

9 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

I remember the game in Buffalo where the always conservative Rivera basically got his team beat by playing it close to the vest............got criticized heavily for losing to the Bills..........then came out and started making more aggressive decisions.     The fact that he had to fail repeatedly and be scrutinized to realize that sometimes you gotta' go for it on 4th down seemed bizarre to me.   

Yeah I remember that. But as well as mcdermott is doing I think he's quite influenced by Rivera. 

I was a doubter at first but I thought he did very well with the talent he had to work with. He will definitely be a head coach again . Tepper had better hit a homerun on his coaching hire or he'll look like just another rich jackass playing fantasy football

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Logic said:

If the Bills somehow end up losing both Daboll and Dorsey to other jobs this offseason.....Ouch.

neither are leaving lol

no one is hiring coaches from a middle of the pack offense. its all just speculation 

2 hours ago, Rochesterfan said:

Nope - Kuechly has made a living as a MLB in the exact defense McDermott runs.  Up until this year  - with the switch to a 3-4 - he has always played the Edmunds role.  He is the perfect mentor and trainer to help Edmunds continue to grow.

You're right. I am wrong. I stand corrected.

Pot is much stronger these days.

15 minutes ago, Nihilarian said:

Firing the guy was a mistake IMHO. He will have a job asap.

This firing is the first of many too.

Miami

Jets

Cleveland

Cincy

Jacksonville

Denver

Chargers

Giants

Redskins

Detroit

Atlanta

all could be looking at hiring a new HC.

I think it's close to a lock on these:

Cleveland

Jax

Giants

Atlanta

+Carolina /Washington(already)