Ron Rivera fired

Buffalo Boy

1 minute ago, Circlethewagon8404 said:

I think Marrone and Foles will be done in Jacksonville too.

Foles for sure. Marrone definitely seems to be in jeopardy as well.

Seems like some combination of the following teams will have new QBs:

• Tampa - Guessing Jameis returns next season, but we'll see.
  • Tennessee - Seem likely to re-sign Tannehill if he keeps it up, but we'll see.
  • Miami - Might forego QB in the draft and wait for next year, so this could be an option for a vet like Cam.
  • Pittsburgh - possible retirement, but I doubt it.
  • Indy - Probably stick it out with Brissett or draft.
  • Jacksonville - Seems like Foles is likely done already and not sure if Minshew will be unquestioned starter.
  • LA Chargers - Rivers might retire or might just leave.
  • Las Vegas - Not sure what Gruden thinks of Carr; he's been solid this year for the most part.
  • New England - Brady might retire or just leave.
  • Cincinnati - Almost certainly drafting someone.
  • Atlanta - Could potentially try to blow things up?

You knew this run would come to an end at some point. Rivera has done a decent job with the Panthers. In all honesty I expect him to take a year or two off before looking to get back into the coaching ranks. 

Just now, DCOrange said:

Foles for sure. Marrone definitely seems to be in jeopardy as well.

Seems like some combination of the following teams will have new QBs:

• Tampa - Guessing Jameis returns next season, but we'll see.
  • Tennessee - Seem likely to re-sign Tannehill if he keeps it up, but we'll see.
  • Miami - Might forego QB in the draft and wait for next year, so this could be an option for a vet like Cam.
  • Pittsburgh - possible retirement, but I doubt it.
  • Indy - Probably stick it out with Brissett or draft.
  • Jacksonville - Seems like Foles is likely done already and not sure if Minshew will be unquestioned starter.
  • LA Chargers - Rivers might retire or might just leave.
  • Las Vegas - Not sure what Gruden thinks of Carr; he's been solid this year for the most part.
  • New England - Brady might retire or just leave.
  • Cincinnati - Almost certainly drafting someone.
  • Atlanta - Could potentially try to blow things up?

Brissett has been pretty good this year. If they had a real Kicker, they'd be 8-4/9-3.

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

I think the Xs and Os stuff is a little overrated, to be honest. The key attributes of good head coaches are organization skills, ability to motivate, and -- not least -- a nose for good assistants (i.e., the guys who handle the Xs and Os). Belichick skews everyone's perceptions about this, but always remember that Parcells' great skill wasn't Xs/Os, but rather hiring Belichick, Coughlin, Payton, and many others. 

I'm not saying it's not important, mind you; it's just that I think a really good Xs and Os guy like Adam Gase is a far worse head coach than a guy like Mike Tomlin. It's not easy managing crazy people, and I guarantee you that there are about 10 of them on every NFL team.

In my opinion..........if Fitzy didn't get hot and cost the Bills their rightful #1 overall pick as the least talented team in the NFL..........which became Cam Newton........Rivera would have long since worked himself back down to LB coach by now.    When he went back to the old San Diego well for Norv Turner I knew his goose was cooked.   If that's all your connections can yield you in 2018 you probably aren't staying involved enough with the coaching community.   

• Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, mannc said:

Forgot about Marrone.  

I think the Jim Harbaugh brand is irreparably damaged.

How so on the Harbaugh thing?  He has won everywhere he has been.  Coached in a Super Bowl with a running back at QB.    All the Michigan honks expecting him to come in and win National Championship after National Championship forgot their program wasnt a consistent National Championship contender since the mid seventies.   Harbaugh is a really good coach.

16 minutes ago, Foxx said:

Rivera to Dallas?

15 minutes ago, Circlethewagon8404 said:

He'll take the Cowboys job after Garrett gets fired at the end of the year.

If Jones moves on from Garrett it is a 100% lock he names Kellen Moore the next HC.

1 minute ago, whatdrought said:

That's what happened to the Eagles after the SB... ?

It's the bad part of success, but a good problem to have.

3 minutes ago, thenorthremembers said:

How so on the Harbaugh thing?  He has won everywhere he has been.  Coached in a Super Bowl with a running back at QB.    All the Michigan honks expecting him to come in and win National Championship after National Championship forgot their program wasnt a consistent National Championship contender since the mid seventies.   Harbaugh is a really good coach.

I don't think he's lived up to expectations in Ann Arbor and his ego has gotten out of control.  That being said, it wouldn't surprise me if some NFL team hired him.  Maybe the Jets...  

1 minute ago, mannc said:

I don't think he's lived up to expectations in Ann Arbor and his ego has gotten out of control.  That being said, it wouldn't surprise me if some NFL team hired him.  Maybe the Jets...  

He may be an ego maniac, but if he hasnt lived up to expectations, the expectations were too high.   He is the best coach Michigan has had since Carr, and his win percentage falls in line with what Michigan has always been when the program is being run well.     Any NFL or College team that wants a winning culture will let him run things the way he wants them to be run.  

• Like (+1) 1

I see a lot of people in here who have a misguided view of Ron Rivera.

I live in Charlotte and often watch Bills games at my Uncle's house. He has lived here 40 years and is both a Bills fan and Panthers fan (when he tells people that he ALWAYS adds that if they were to meet in the super bowl he would root for the Bills)

Anyhow he sets up a second TV in his living room and watches both games when they are on at the same time. 

I've seen PLENTY Panthers games the last couple years. Ron Rivera is NOT a good head coach. Terrible game management and has a team that consistently underachieves. Yes he rode his defense and MVP QB to a Superbowl where he was terribly outcoached. His firing was deserved and MOST Panthers fans are happy about the move. Trust me on that.

7 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

That's what happened to the Eagles after the SB... ?

I considered it reasonably likely that Daboll would get poached. I had presumed that Dorsey would step into the OC role, making for a seamless transition.

If BOTH get taken? No bueno.