Ron Rivera fired

Buffalo Boy

Panthers part ways with Ron Rivera

CHARLOTTE -- The Carolina Panthers have parted ways with head coach Ron Rivera, owner David Tepper announced Tuesday.

Secondary coach Perry Fewell has been named interim head coach. Offensive coordinator Norv Turner will transition to special assistant to the head coach, and quarterbacks coach Scott Turner will serve as offensive coordinator.

“I believe this is the best decision for the long-term success of our team,” Tepper said. “I have a great deal of respect for Ron and the contributions he has made to this franchise and to this community. I wish him the best. I will immediately begin the search for the next head coach of the Carolina Panthers.”

• Like (+1) 1

Perry Fewell -- second time interim head coach.

Interesting career note, that.

Also: I wonder if it's hard for Panthers fans to see the best parts of their front office/coaching staff (Beane, McDermott, et al) leave while Rivera remained, only to then see Rivera get fired any way.

Edited by Logic
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

He was a bad head coach (too many losing seasons, horrible divisional record)  and his defenses were mostly poor over the years despite that being his calling card. There was a serious drop-off after McD left and you can find a thread pinpointing the dropoff after the departure of Beane and McD.

https://www.carolinahuddle.com/boards/topic/160812-sean-mcdermott-brandon-beane/

He will go to the Giants this offseason.

Edited by Seoulofstone
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Buffalo Boy said:

Just heard this on AM 610 in Clt

Perry Fewell will be interim head coach.

Kueckly to Buffalo next year??

whoa.

what are Jason Garrett's odds to be the next Panthers coach?

Edited by Foxx
  • Haha (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Buffalo Boy said:

Just heard this on AM 610 in Clt

Perry Fewell will be interim head coach.

Kueckly to Buffalo next year??

Well, he is locked up for 2 more years. Is this where we go off on whether or not Tremaine could play OLB in this situation? 

But yes, I would jump at that. 

• Like (+1) 1

Damn.  Didn’t see him as the first to go.  

Personally, I don’t want him here in any capacity.  We have a good thing going and don’t need another voice in the clog. 

I’m sure he’ll be an assistant somewhere after all the turnover that’s going to happen this offseason 

• Like (+1) 8
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Interesting... Not surprised to see him fired, but not sure on the timing. 

I wouldn't mind him as a DC (though I think Frazier is doing a great job and need not be replaced) but I'm sure he'll have no shortage of offers. With everyone losing their minds for young offensive minds, he would make a ton of sense to partner with someone inexperienced and offensive minded.

• Like (+1) 1