Would you take Sammy Watkins if he's available next year?

As I recall the reason Watkins was traded was that he was going to become a UFA and the Bills weren't interested in a bidding war for him.  So they traded him for whatever they could get before he left.

When Watkins is healthy he can be a dominant force.  It was only last year, when he was lighting it up, that I heard one commentator say he was the best WR in the NFL.  I think that was an overstatement but there's still no doubt he can be a contributor.  Now that Allen has it figured out (we hope), Watkins might be willing to come if for a reasonable one-year prove-it contract.  There's no way he will need to go anywhere for the veteran minimum.  He'll get at least $3M and probably more wherever he goes.

No because reliability is crucial ...why pay him the money he will command when we've gotten more production outta smoke who's available..Watkins has all the talent in the world but can't stay on the field and continues to be inconsistent the guy has 150 yard two td monster potential as we saw here but he also has 2 catch 30 yard potential 

29 minutes ago, KD in CA said:

LOL @ KC paying this guy $16m a year.   You really can fool some of the people all of the time.

But I was told that since McVay decided to pony up the draft pick and spend the big money contract on him that he surely was a good bet.   Nevermind that they decided to not pursue him more aggressively than they did and lose that draft pick and decide to spend that money on Cooks.

But it wasn't Sammy's fault, because y'know Goff just couldn't hit him with the deep pass.  

Then we were told well......Since Andy Reid decided to pay the big bucks, that SURELY he was worth the money.    Then year 1 passes by and he doesn't live up to expectations.  His undying defenders said it was because there were too many weapons on the team so he couldn't get his share of opportunities.

Then year two comes about and he gets the opportunity to BE THE MAN because of Tyreek's issues and lingering injuries, and despite all that.  Sammy doesn't produce and is yet again often injured.

He has 42 receptions with 71 targets.  That's not that great!

Yeah, I'd say that for the few of us - me being one of them, I said it over and over and over.   Even though Sammy has the potential to be a top tiered WR in this league from a physical standpoint, mentally he doesn't have it.  He's  not a team first kind of guy, he's often injured and he's inconsistent.  That's what I said years ago.  And that is EXACTLY what he has proven to be.

Lots of people on this board were wrong and to this day they will never admit it. 

• Awesome! (+1) 2

25 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

At the right price, absolutely!! Now does it look like he can remain healthy, nope. I’d love him on a 1 year incentive-laden deal tied to snap counts and active games. 

He's not a terrible player, but he's clearly had injury problems. I agree with you because the Bills regime has shown the ability to improve players and help them play above an expected level. Shaq Lawson, Jordan Phillips are good examples. It shouldn't be an emotional decision based on his letting the Bills down with previous effort. He wouldn't be back as a leader but in much more of a reduced capacity. If he doesn't work cut him. If he's cheap and they get him short term, can keep him healthy then flip him for a comp pick that's good business. 

It's a lot of ifs but if they could get him cheap, they could do it alongside a draft pick at WR. That's a low risk move.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

No, if he had no prior history with McD and he could be had on a 1 year modest guarantee 4-6 million dollar a year deal I wouldn't be opposed to brining him in to add some speed (I would still draft a WR in round 1 but having a speedy vet like Sammy takes some pressure off of a rookie.) BUT in 2017 his departure was bad and he has shown to not be a model citizen while here. I don't think he would want to come back nor do I think the Bills would want him back. I think he likely restructures his deal with KC to give them some cap space and hit the market in 2021 for one last big payday. 

12 minutes ago, Magox said:

But I was told that since McVay decided to pony up the draft pick and spend the big money contract on him that he surely was a good bet.   Nevermind that they decided to not pursue him more aggressively than they did and lose that draft pick and decide to spend that money on Cooks.

But it wasn't Sammy's fault, because y'know Goff just couldn't hit him with the deep pass.  

Then we were told well......Since Andy Reid decided to pay the big bucks, that SURELY he was worth the money.    Then year 1 passes by and he doesn't live up to expectations.  His undying defenders said it was because there were too many weapons on the team so he couldn't get his share of opportunities.

Then year two comes about and he gets the opportunity to BE THE MAN because of Tyreek's issues and lingering injuries, and despite all that.  Sammy doesn't produce and is yet again often injured.

He has 42 receptions with 71 targets.  That's not that great!

Yeah, I'd say that for the few of us - me being one of them, I said it over and over and over.   Even though Sammy has the potential to be a top tiered WR in this league from a physical standpoint, mentally he doesn't have it.  He's  not a team first kind of guy, he's often injured and he's inconsistent.  That's what I said years ago.  And that is EXACTLY what he has proven to be.

Lots of people on this board were wrong and to this day they will never admit it. 

Ditto... I got so sick of the arguments that he was doing his job as a decoy or they just have soooo many weapons.  If he was a #1 receiver he would get his targets and yards.  Most of the other weapons were all producing more than him.  The guy has a good couple games a year and disappears for the other 14 of them.