Would you take Sammy Watkins if he's available next year?

Nope. They traded him because he was not a fit. I do believe he has matured and moved on but at this point he is busted goods given his health. The talent was there had he put the work in to be an all time great but as others said he cared more about being a star.

On 12/3/2019 at 2:10 PM, Royale with Cheese said:

Do you think it's possible to have an entire team above mediocre?  He's not a #1, probably not even a #2 at this point....he would be a #3 WR.

The Dude is hurt...like all the time. He's bad. End of story. Pay him to do what?

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, KGun12TD said:

The Dude is hurt...like all the time. He's bad. End of story. Pay him to do what?

As I said in an earlier thread, I wouldn't want him but thought it was an interesting topic since he probably will be available.

He's going to play somewhere and some team is going to pay him.  Not as much as he's making now, it's going to be similar to a Jordan Phillips prove it deal.

I'm just saying just because you have mediocre talent in some areas, it doesn't mean you're thinking on a mediocre mentality.  You can't have an entire team of high level starters.

• Like (+1) 1

I think people are looking at this the wrong way.  If Brown is the number 1, and you could certainly argue he is, then Watkins would not have to be anything more than a decent 2.  If the money was right I'd certainly bring Watkins in to compete with Foster/McKenzie for the 2 spot with Beasley playing the slot.  It will be interesting to see what Watkins is looking to get for his next contract.

2 hours ago, Maine-iac said:

I think people are looking at this the wrong way.  If Brown is the number 1, and you could certainly argue he is, then Watkins would not have to be anything more than a decent 2.  If the money was right I'd certainly bring Watkins in to compete with Foster/McKenzie for the 2 spot with Beasley playing the slot.  It will be interesting to see what Watkins is looking to get for his next contract.

I would agree if Watkins had no history with the team and the coaching staff. I think if Wakins is cut he would be a smart acquisition for a team on a one year 4-6 million dollar one year deal with a very low or no guarantee. But Sammy left here in a bad way and alienated himself from the coaching staff is something that would not work well in the locker room and limit the chances of Sammy being successful and makes him a higher possibility for being a net negative. 

If Sammy had zero experience with this team I wouldn't mind seeing him brought in as a WR2 to play in front of a rookie drafted early. And you would have Brown/Sammy/Rookie drafted in round 1 or 2 playing on the outside while Beasley plays in the slot. Sammy would essentially in that scenario take pressure off of a rookie to come in right away and work as a bridge player while in the short term helping Allan by adding some speed to the team. 

But you can't have Sammy in that locker room with McD as the coach.

Edited by billsfan89

2 hours ago, Maine-iac said:

Which raises two important questions.

1) How much do you really want to pay for an inconsistent, injury prone guy to 'compete' for the #2 job (a job he has failed to secure in LA and KC btw)?

2) If you could sign him for what he's worth (very little), how happy do you think he'll be to play for a fraction of what he's being paid now, and having to compete with nobodies just a few years after being the big shot in town?  

On 12/3/2019 at 1:34 PM, wvbillsfan said:

Absolutely not. Unimpressed by Watkins and his ability to stay on the field or make a difference. 
Pure conjecture here but I don’t think he loves football. It’s just what he does. Most people with that just collecting a paycheck attitude don’t fair well. 

I feel the same.  If Robert Woods was available it's a different story

• Like (+1) 1

There are two separate, but equally crazy things about Sammy:

1. How little he has done, and what he hasnt turned into, given the pedigree with which he came into the NFL
  2. How much that dude has gotten PAID. $54M over his career so far. Mostly from the Chiefs. For doing nothing for them.
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Shame on me for even touching this one but I got spanked from a mod for calling like it is. I said that the way he plays lends himself to injury and I defended myself against tons of people on here. I also compared him to Brandon Lafell production wise. Wound up with 2 warning points from it. I have no reason to believe that he could or would benefit our team whatsoever. “I need 10 targets a game”...no thanks bro.large.2877FED6-BEA4-4C94-A2C1-663FF2A0F362.gif.5b3effb0df0c60c7b3d471514e648534.gif