Would you take Sammy Watkins if he's available next year?

4 hours ago, Buffalo Boy said:

Veteran minimum on a 1 year “ prove it” deal

No.  A veteran minimum gives him salary for year when (not if) he is injured. Many veteran minimum deals are contracts to save team cap space which is not an issue.

Bringing him in week 2 makes more sense since if he is cut he is not guaranteed money.

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, blacklabel said:

Alright, I'm not necessarily a huge Watkins fan but the part I highlighted is untrue. The dude does put in the work. When he was in Buffalo he was always part of the group of receivers that'd fly out to meet Tyrod and run routes in their off-time, he's done that in KC as well. He's also had zero issues with any community in the cities he's played. Obviously, he didn't pan out here and that's a bummer but it's not like it's entirely 100% on him, injuries added up over his first few seasons and beyond that I don't think his abilities were maximized while he was here. The injuries, getting traded, being on three different teams within one calendar year, having OC's struggle to find what his best role would be, etc. are all things that have surely steered his career in a direction he probably didn't expect. The decent thing is, is he's still young enough to rebound and turn into the receiver people saw at Clemson. 

As for him returning to Buffalo, that's about as likely as me suiting up in place of Allen this Sunday. Chances are slim and none and slim just left town.

It has been well documented that by Whailey giving up so much for Watkins at the draft, it put unfair expectations on him. There has been discussion about Watkins work ethic and the organizations concern, especially regarding his rehab. : http://www.nfl.com/videos/buffalo-bills/0ap3000000828588/Why-did-the-Bills-trade-Sammy-Watkins . Sammy isn't the first player the Bills have drafted that struggled with the fans: https://nypost.com/2015/10/28/bills-sammy-watkins-blasts-loser-fans-doubting-his-health/ . I wish him well and hope he does great things during his time in the league. But he won't ever again be in a Bills uniform and I am perfectly ok with that.

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

His career with KC has been a disappointment.  He's making good money, they just extended Hill and will have other big contracts coming up.  They also need to put some money towards the defense.  They are projected to be 25th in salary cap room next year.  

Watkins looks like he may not make it to 2020 with the Chiefs and will be a FA.

Here's an interesting sub topic conversation in this thread....is Sammy Watkins a bust?  Since he left Buffalo, his numbers have declined.  In the last 3 years, he's averaging about 40 catches a year, 550 yards receiving and 5 TD catches.  He was the #4 overall pick, played in the two most high powered passing offenses....

https://kckingdom.com/2019/10/23/kc-chiefs-salary-cap-crunch-lead-tough-decisions-offseason/

The most obvious opportunity to create cap space is the oft injured receiver Sammy Watkins. His contract calls for him to have a $21 million cap number with $7 million guaranteed, so a release will generate for the Chiefs $14 million in cap space.

Considering the number of games Watkins has missed since he arrived in Kansas City for the 2018 season, it’s hard to imagine, under any circumstance him returning after the 2019 season concludes.

How much are you willing to pay him?

I wouldn’t want him back even at the vet minimum. He’s just not that good. We seen the best he has to offer and it’s really not that good. If we are talking last years team with a green quarterback and young receivers who can’t make plays yet sure, this current squad of winning football players who give 110% every play. No thanks 

• Like (+1) 1