Would you take Sammy Watkins if he's available next year?

39 minutes ago, Magox said:

But I was told that since McVay decided to pony up the draft pick and spend the big money contract on him that he surely was a good bet.   Nevermind that they decided to not pursue him more aggressively than they did and lose that draft pick and decide to spend that money on Cooks.

But it wasn't Sammy's fault, because y'know Goff just couldn't hit him with the deep pass.  

Then we were told well......Since Andy Reid decided to pay the big bucks, that SURELY he was worth the money.    Then year 1 passes by and he doesn't live up to expectations.  His undying defenders said it was because there were too many weapons on the team so he couldn't get his share of opportunities.

Then year two comes about and he gets the opportunity to BE THE MAN because of Tyreek's issues and lingering injuries, and despite all that.  Sammy doesn't produce and is yet again often injured.

He has 42 receptions with 71 targets.  That's not that great!

Yeah, I'd say that for the few of us - me being one of them, I said it over and over and over.   Even though Sammy has the potential to be a top tiered WR in this league from a physical standpoint, mentally he doesn't have it.  He's  not a team first kind of guy, he's often injured and he's inconsistent.  That's what I said years ago.  And that is EXACTLY what he has proven to be.

Lots of people on this board were wrong and to this day they will never admit it. 

Who am I???

Related imageImage result for Jude Law

He is being phased out of the KC offense, it seems - only six targets in the last couple of weeks.  As someone who argued that he was always on the cusp of greatness, I have to confess that he's a massive disappointment. That said, he is still young, isn't as banged up as people think (it's always hamstrings now with him; not much else), and has a lot of talent. Someone will take him, and he might do reasonably well. It certainly won't be the Bills, though.

• Like (+1) 1

Even with all his talent, he has proven to be unreliable, so no. 

Go Bills!!!

No....he's the most overrated WR in football since he came into the league..   He's nowhere near a no. 1 WR and never will be.   He can flash a couple of games but cant do it week in and week out.    The money this guy has made is obscene when compared to his production.  

Sammy had an opportunity in Buffalo and he failed miserably. As long as Beane and McDermott are running the show at OBD, Sammy will only ever y be allowed in the visitors locker room. Typically a player drafted as high as Watkins doesn't get traded  while still on a rookie deal.

He Isn't a "process" guy, only plays for himself, isn't reliable, doesn't want to evolve his talent. Doesn't want to work, isn't a good fit for the team or the community.

No thanks. I believe we should pass.

3 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

His career with KC has been a disappointment.  He's making good money, they just extended Hill and will have other big contracts coming up.  They also need to put some money towards the defense.  They are projected to be 25th in salary cap room next year.  

Watkins looks like he may not make it to 2020 with the Chiefs and will be a FA.

Here's an interesting sub topic conversation in this thread....is Sammy Watkins a bust?  Since he left Buffalo, his numbers have declined.  In the last 3 years, he's averaging about 40 catches a year, 550 yards receiving and 5 TD catches.  He was the #4 overall pick, played in the two most high powered passing offenses....

https://kckingdom.com/2019/10/23/kc-chiefs-salary-cap-crunch-lead-tough-decisions-offseason/

The most obvious opportunity to create cap space is the oft injured receiver Sammy Watkins. His contract calls for him to have a $21 million cap number with $7 million guaranteed, so a release will generate for the Chiefs $14 million in cap space.

Considering the number of games Watkins has missed since he arrived in Kansas City for the 2018 season, it’s hard to imagine, under any circumstance him returning after the 2019 season concludes.

I’m on the fence about taking him back.  He has some explosive potential but he rarely was able to stay healthy.  Also on the field there were just too many times when he disappeared.  

In terms of him being a busy, I would have to say a resounding YES.  He never lived up to the “generational player” hype or draft status. He also wasn’t a tire fire but injuries completely derailed his career.

• Like (+1) 1

30 minutes ago, DRA3196 said:

Sammy had an opportunity in Buffalo and he failed miserably. As long as Beane and McDermott are running the show at OBD, Sammy will only ever y be allowed in the visitors locker room. Typically a player drafted as high as Watkins doesn't get traded  while still on a rookie deal.

He Isn't a "process" guy, only plays for himself, isn't reliable, doesn't want to evolve his talent. Doesn't want to work, isn't a good fit for the team or the community.

No thanks. I believe we should pass.

Alright, I'm not necessarily a huge Watkins fan but the part I highlighted is untrue. The dude does put in the work. When he was in Buffalo he was always part of the group of receivers that'd fly out to meet Tyrod and run routes in their off-time, he's done that in KC as well. He's also had zero issues with any community in the cities he's played. Obviously, he didn't pan out here and that's a bummer but it's not like it's entirely 100% on him, injuries added up over his first few seasons and beyond that I don't think his abilities were maximized while he was here. The injuries, getting traded, being on three different teams within one calendar year, having OC's struggle to find what his best role would be, etc. are all things that have surely steered his career in a direction he probably didn't expect. The decent thing is, is he's still young enough to rebound and turn into the receiver people saw at Clemson. 

As for him returning to Buffalo, that's about as likely as me suiting up in place of Allen this Sunday. Chances are slim and none and slim just left town.