Would you take Sammy Watkins if he's available next year?

His career with KC has been a disappointment.  He's making good money, they just extended Hill and will have other big contracts coming up.  They also need to put some money towards the defense.  They are projected to be 25th in salary cap room next year.  

Watkins looks like he may not make it to 2020 with the Chiefs and will be a FA.

Here's an interesting sub topic conversation in this thread....is Sammy Watkins a bust?  Since he left Buffalo, his numbers have declined.  In the last 3 years, he's averaging about 40 catches a year, 550 yards receiving and 5 TD catches.  He was the #4 overall pick, played in the two most high powered passing offenses....

https://kckingdom.com/2019/10/23/kc-chiefs-salary-cap-crunch-lead-tough-decisions-offseason/

The most obvious opportunity to create cap space is the oft injured receiver Sammy Watkins. His contract calls for him to have a $21 million cap number with $7 million guaranteed, so a release will generate for the Chiefs $14 million in cap space.

Considering the number of games Watkins has missed since he arrived in Kansas City for the 2018 season, it’s hard to imagine, under any circumstance him returning after the 2019 season concludes.

• Haha (+1) 2

Absolutely not. Unimpressed by Watkins and his ability to stay on the field or make a difference. 
Pure conjecture here but I don’t think he loves football. It’s just what he does. Most people with that just collecting a paycheck attitude don’t fair well. 

• Like (+1) 6
  • Thank you (+1) 2

I don't think McDermott wants Watkins anywhere near the Bills.

I think that McDermott got one whiff of Watkins and his "I'm a four dimensional lizard god and we're all a homogenous field of vibrating energy" schtick and said "Nooooope" and promptly traded him away.

As just a player? Sure. But I don't think his personality/mindset fits what Buffalo's got going on right now.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Haha (+1) 9
  • Thank you (+1) 2

I want nothing to do with the guy.  All the talent in the world, however I think his greatest downfall is he appears to care more about being a superstar than the work it takes to get there.  I dont get the sense he has the type of fortitude it takes to be great.

On the other question, yes he is 100% a bust.  He was taken 4th overall, has had 1 1000 yard season, never eclipsed 70 catches or had double digit touchdowns.   If the Chiefs part with him in the offseason he will be on his 4th team in 7 seasons.  

Edited by thenorthremembers
  • Like (+1) 2

14 minutes ago, wvbillsfan said:

Absolutely not. Unimpressed by Watkins and his ability to stay on the field or make a difference. 
Pure conjecture here but I don’t think he loves football. It’s just what he does. Most people with that just collecting a paycheck attitude don’t fair well. 

That ship sailed already. There is no way that we can count on Watkins to stay on the field and contribute. If the Bills go wr, you can bet he will not be another inury risk!

He’s never put a full season together.  If he can’t light it up with Mahomes in that offense or with the Rams, something is just plain missing.  

All the talent and potential in the world, just doesn’t translate 

• Like (+1) 2

I think the Bills got rid of him because he wasn't a cultural fit and I doubt that has changed. The Bills are probably only going to entertain getting guys like Beasly and Brown that fit some profile/formula only Beane and McDermott know and are 100% on board with team first.