Best, worst NFL QBs of Week 13: Receiver woes for Tom Brady? Josh Allen's arrival?

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/28212786/best-worst-nfl-qbs-week-13-receiver-woes-tom-brady-josh-allen-arrival

Breakthrough Game Award: Josh Allen, Buffalo Bills

Unlike Brady, Allen doesn't play often in prime time. So you can forgive much of the viewing public for its surprise that Allen played a really good game in the Bills' 26-15 victory over the Cowboys on Thanksgiving Day. Most of the attention centered around a physical fourth-down rushing conversion, but in some ways it was also the best passing performance of his career.

Week 13 Total QBR: Top Five

See full leaderboard »

1. Deshaun Watson, HOU 88.4
2. Aaron Rodgers, GB 84.8
3. Ryan Fitzpatrick, MIA 82.3
4. Josh Allen, BUF 82.2
5. Jared Goff, LAR 78.5

Allen set career highs in completion rate (79.2%), yards per attempt (10.5) and passer rating (120.7), albeit against a Cowboys defense that has intercepted only four passes this season and rarely challenges opposing passers. Allen also rushed for a touchdown, in the process becoming the fourth quarterback in the Super Bowl era to accumulate at least five passing and rushing touchdowns in one month.

Let's be clear about who Allen is, and isn't, at this stage. The numbers tell us he has rebounded from a horrible start to put himself above the replacement level. In Weeks 1 through 5 this season, Allen ranked No. 31 (of 34) quarterbacks in Football Outsiders' DVOA metric (minus-24.8). In Weeks 7 to 13, he has ranked No. 16 (of 36) with a plus-6.7 DVOA.

That doesn't put Allen into any sort of discussion about elite NFL quarterbacks. It does, however, inform those who don't see many of his games -- and that's most of you -- that he has made substantial progress in his second season.

• Thank you (+1) 3

he also made some great throws while on the move, and while sitting in the pocket.  O-line did a great job!  

He looked like I envision him if he pans out like we all hope, good in the pocket, accurate on the run, and able to take off and scramble smartly when needed.  

Also, the "receiver woes" for Brady is also a comical excuse.  If he's the GOAT, WR's are irrelevant.  Who is Russel Wilson throwing the ball to?  A slot WR who is a carrear #2 in Lockett, and a rookie who suspect hands in Metcalf.  

Edited by RyanC883
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, RyanC883 said:

he also made some great throws while on the move, and while sitting in the pocket.  O-line did a great job!  

He looked like I envision him if he pans out like we all hope, good in the pocket, accurate on the run, and able to take off and scramble smartly when needed.  

Also, the "receiver woes" for Brady is also a comical excuse.  If he's the GOAT, WR's are irrelevant.  Who is Russel Wilson throwing the ball to?  A slot WR who is a carrear #2 in Lockett, and a rookie who suspect hands in Metcalf.  

I agree with you 100% about Brady and his receivers.  Most of his career, he's made average receivers look amazing and now that his age is really showing and having a down year, all the attention goes to his receivers being bad and not Brady.  That's absolutely ridiculous.  And I love how Brady isn't taking any blame for how the offense is doing this year.  What a humble guy.

• Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, Circlethewagon8404 said:

I agree with you 100% about Brady and his receivers.  Most of his career, he's made average receivers look amazing and now that his age is really showing and having a down year, all the attention goes to his receivers being bad and not Brady.  That's absolutely ridiculous.  And I love how Brady isn't taking any blame for how the offense is doing this year.  What a humble guy.

Agreed.  Their WR corps isn't any worse than most NFL teams, I'd put them somewhere in the middle, and would love to have Edelman, even if we already have the junior version in Beasley

11 minutes ago, Circlethewagon8404 said:

Agreed, i am getting real tired of the no receiver excuse.

First of all, they might have the best slot receiver in the NFL in that little punk Edelman.  They have Dorsett a 2015 1st rd pick, Mohammed Sanu who they traded for a second and N' Keal Harry who they drafted in the 1st.Plus old but serviceable Ben Watson at TE.

How about we compare that to what we had last year, Zay freakin hands of stone Jones, Kelvin find the buffet Benjamin, and knees of Clay Charles at TE. Now THAT is a dismal set of receivers.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

This irks me too. The same commentators that fall over backwards making excuses for Brady ripped Allen all during his rookie season.  Allen had no line and Zay Jones was his most productive WR. If he is the GOAT then excuses shouldn't be in the discussion. 

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Circlethewagon8404 said:

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/28212786/best-worst-nfl-qbs-week-13-receiver-woes-tom-brady-josh-allen-arrival

Breakthrough Game Award: Josh Allen, Buffalo Bills

Unlike Brady, Allen doesn't play often in prime time. So you can forgive much of the viewing public for its surprise that Allen played a really good game in the Bills' 26-15 victory over the Cowboys on Thanksgiving Day. Most of the attention centered around a physical fourth-down rushing conversion, but in some ways it was also the best passing performance of his career.

Week 13 Total QBR: Top Five

See full leaderboard »

1. Deshaun Watson, HOU 88.4
2. Aaron Rodgers, GB 84.8
3. Ryan Fitzpatrick, MIA 82.3
4. Josh Allen, BUF 82.2
5. Jared Goff, LAR 78.5

Allen set career highs in completion rate (79.2%), yards per attempt (10.5) and passer rating (120.7), albeit against a Cowboys defense that has intercepted only four passes this season and rarely challenges opposing passers. Allen also rushed for a touchdown, in the process becoming the fourth quarterback in the Super Bowl era to accumulate at least five passing and rushing touchdowns in one month.

Let's be clear about who Allen is, and isn't, at this stage. The numbers tell us he has rebounded from a horrible start to put himself above the replacement level. In Weeks 1 through 5 this season, Allen ranked No. 31 (of 34) quarterbacks in Football Outsiders' DVOA metric (minus-24.8). In Weeks 7 to 13, he has ranked No. 16 (of 36) with a plus-6.7 DVOA.

That doesn't put Allen into any sort of discussion about elite NFL quarterbacks. It does, however, inform those who don't see many of his games -- and that's most of you -- that he has made substantial progress in his second season.

ESPN "total QBR" ?

I love how even when they're trying to say something nice, they have caveat - "a Cowboys defense that has 4 INTs and rarely challenges opposing passers" - what about mentioning that the Cowboys have a top-10 defense overall and specifically for #8 passing yards given up, #6 for passing TD, #8 for points (so teams aren't just running over them).  They make it sound as though the Cowboys D is "chopped liver".

3 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

ESPN "total QBR" ?

I love how even when they're trying to say something nice, they have caveat - "a Cowboys defense that has 4 INTs and rarely challenges opposing passers" - what about mentioning that the Cowboys have a top-10 defense overall and specifically for #8 passing yards given up, #6 for passing TD, #8 for points (so teams aren't just running over them).  They make it sound as though the Cowboys D is "chopped liver".

have you seen the PFF debacle listing?

edit:

Edited by Reed83HOF
  • Haha (+1) 1

He’s really impressed me the last few games.  I was in the “he’s improved but he could still suck” category around week 10.  Now I’m in the “I’m very happy he’s our QB for the next 4+ seasons” category.  

1 minute ago, NewEra said:

He’s really impressed me the last few games.  I was in the “he’s improved but he could still suck” category around week 10.  Now I’m in the “I’m very happy he’s our QB for the next 4+ seasons” category.  

So a lot of people were ready to throw Allen off the plane after the Browns game. 

I had a different POV, which was that he was asked to carry that game on his arm. He couldn't, quite, but I thought he came closer to doing it than he did in the Eagles game or the Pats game.  I thought it was pretty clear that a physical WR or TE with reliable hands for the high DOD catches would have made a difference on a few throws.

I wondered if the "no huddle, Daboll in the booth, fewer personnel changes" would get stale, but it actually seems to have opened the offense up in some regards.  Daboll made the comment in one presser that "you want to get as many guys on the field as possible" but I couldn't help thinking that allowing Allen more rep count with fewer guys has to help at this point in his game.

29 minutes ago, Reed83HOF said:

I added it as an edit above, but here it is again:

S.M.H.

S.M.D.H.

You get a list that comes closer to passing the eyeball/results test if you just sort by conventional passer rating, which puts Allen at #20 - but ahead of Brady, Rivers, Goff, Darnold, Winston, Fitzpatrick, Mayfield, Dalton and non-qualifiers for rate stats such as Haskins