Who would be our Steve Bartman or Bill Buckner

Norwood is the obvious and easy target.

He doesnt deserve it, but it would be him. He was automatic for years, and then goes and misses an easy one in our most "winnable" Super Bowl which set the losing tone for the next 3. Even if we had just won only that first Super Bowl, the team and franchise would be looked at completely differently.

• Like (+1) 2

7 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Norwood is the obvious and easy target.

He doesnt deserve it, but it would be him. He was automatic for years, and then goes and misses an easy one in our most "winnable" Super Bowl which set the losing tone for the next 3. Even if we had just won only that first Super Bowl, the team and franchise would be looked at completely differently.

This fits b/c to a certain degree, Bartman and Buckner, and for the most part every major scapegoat, does not really deserve the scorn. In Bartman's case there were many people going for the ball and it's not his fault that the Cubs blew a very large lead after Bartman "interfered." On the other hand, Buckner's error came after the Red Sox had already blown a lead they shouldn't have and has overshadowed the wild pitch thrown by Bob Stanley which allowed the Mets to tie the game. It's made even sadder by the fact that Buckner had been playing through immense pain and to paraphrase Dante Hicks, "wasn't even supposed to be there", as it was standard for Dave Stapleton to come in as a defensive replacement in the 9th inning, but McNamara wanted Buckner, as a veteran who had played for the Cubs and Sox and had never been in the World Series before to be on the field to experience the final out. 

I was annoyed when Levy did not try another play (maybe a hitch to Thurman or a TE on the sideline) to get them closer and more safely in Norwood's range, so I never really saw the fairness in blaming Norwood for missing a kick that was at the edge of his ability, and of that of most kickers. If Kelly was under pressure and threw a pass in the endzone just off the fingertips of a diving James Lofton as time expired, would either have been considered the "goat"? If it was, say, a 54-yard field goal, would he still be the "goat"? However, all that being said, the miss was the closest this team has ever got to the NFL's ultimate goal, so even if it's not really fair, for the purposes of this thought experiment, one would have to say he fits the bill. 

FWIW, one could argue that Thurman's fumble in Super Bowl XXVIII was more egregious as they were leading when it happened and it changed the trajectory of the game, but there seems to be a consensus that it was more a factor of the team having no confidence after three losses, and that they looked as if they had already given up hope during halftime, even with a 13-7 lead.

(And was I the only one who had flashbacks watching an interminable halftime performance with the Bills having a 13-7 lead over the Cowboys -- to a degree, I blame awful country music for the Bills lack of a Super Bowl trophy.)

1 hour ago, May Day 10 said:

Its Norwood 100%.

His name is linked to the team in the consciousness of every sports fan.  

While most Bills fans do not hold any ill will toward Norwood...  There would be a storyline nationally of Norwood's spirit being free if the Bills won the Superbowl.  

I mean, we already forgave him. In 1991. I think we're all set here.

https://www.buffalobills.com/video/niagara-square-bills-rally-january-28-1991-12536514

• Like (+1) 2

9 minutes ago, skibum said:

Ronnie Harmon's drop is far more deserving of the title, but nobody outside the Bills fan base remembers that play. Norwood will be remembered far and wide for a long, long time. It's not fair, but Norwood is the guy. 

What I'm amazed at is that I've never heard anyone even suggest that there was more to Harmon's drop, given his history of suspicion of fixing games. I'm sure it was just a dropped pass, but...

Scott Norwood was received back in Buffalo with applause and forgiveness. None of the players or coaches blamed him. He continued to play for the Bills.

I just don't think he was wronged in any way or that there is any bad blood. No forgiveness needed from either side.

• Like (+1) 1

18 hours ago, skibum said:

Ronnie Harmon's drop is far more deserving of the title, but nobody outside the Bills fan base remembers that play. Norwood will be remembered far and wide for a long, long time. It's not fair, but Norwood is the guy. 

What people forget is that the touchdown before the drop Norwood missed the extra point, or we could have tied the game with a field goal in spite of the drop. Think he missed a field goal or two that day as well, in a Dr office now, no time to check.

Edit: Norwood didn't miss any field goals that game, 1/1. Still, as pointed out on pg 3, if he had made the extra point a field goal would have sent the game in to overtime. Had we gone on to win, Harmon's drop would have been forgotten long ago rather than be his legacy moment.

Edited by Steve O
update

2 hours ago, thurst44 said:

FWIW, one could argue that Thurman's fumble in Super Bowl XXVIII was more egregious as they were leading when it happened and it changed the trajectory of the game, but there seems to be a consensus that it was more a factor of the team having no confidence after three losses, and that they looked as if they had already given up hope during halftime, even with a 13-7 lead.

I have heard this before and I think Aikman even said as the Bills went into half time they looked down. I get the history of the 3 SB losses prior but for those who watched the game did it feel defeating that Buffalo only had a 13-6 lead on Dallas into half? Did they leave points on the field that made it feel like they already played with too much fire? The fumble seemed to crystallize the fears, but the halftime portion is decidedly worse if it was that obvious.

Also I've heard people rip on Jim for not playing well but if memory serves correctly from what I have learned SB 25 he was fine not great, 26 he actually seemed prepared his entire team around him couldn't do a think from dropped bobbled passes etc.., 27 injured not sure how you judge that, and 28 he was bad. Anyone dispute those descriptions?

Edited by corta765
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Call_Of_Ktulu said:

If somehow Croom can rejoin this team it would be Croom. 

Croom is joined to this team at the hip (or pelvis).

Anyway, both those Red Sox and those Cubs had a subsequent game/chance to win those championships.  They blew them too.

Losers gonna lose....

I think there is one clear answer, but I forgive them all and choose to look forward. I currently like our future much more than most of our past, though I enjoy it all! The good, the bad, and the ridiculously ugly!  

3 hours ago, billsfan1959 said:

I believe it has to be Scott Norwood. If he makes a tough, but very makeable 47 yard FG, the Bills not only win the Super Bowl, but, IMO, impacts the team in following three Super Bowls, from a psychological perspective - particularly the last two. 

What if making the kick had the opposite reaction.  Bills go into a superbowl hangover, miss the playoffs next year, slowly decline, never build up the amazing fan base that resulted from 4 consecutive super bowl appearances... Eventually there isn't enough fan base to support the team and the Bills get moved!

Beware the butterfly effect!

• Haha (+1) 1

7 hours ago, skibum said:

You set the question almost as two separate questions- to Bills fans Ronnie Harmon is much more the problem but to non Bills fans it is definitely Norwood.