Who would be our Steve Bartman or Bill Buckner

Long time reader, First Time writer. 

In connection with some talk about “running the table” and being the number 1 seed in the AFC, my mind made a greater leap – I know “getting way ahead of myself” – to winning the super bowl and what it would feel like.  For context, I have been a fan since 1967 and am old enough to remember nearly the Bills entire history. 

With that said, I started thinking about other franchises in similar situations, the Cubs ending the 108-year drought or the Boston Red Sox and the 86-year period of futility from 1918 to 2004 and how their fans reacted.  In the case of each referenced franchise, as part of their celebrations, each "forgave" someone - the Cubs “forgave” Steve Bartman and the Sox “forgave” Bill Buckner. 

In case of my great leap, to me, the obvious response for the Bills would be player Scott Norwood.  But I would like to read TBD’s responses – it can be a player (Tom Demsey failing to break the Dolphin streak, Ronnie Harmon for dropping Kelly’s pass in the endzone), fan (the dude who slide off the upper deck), coach (Wade Phillips for getting over run by the owner with the Flutie/Johnson thing), owner, GM, event.  Who or What would you "forgive?"

• Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, BillsFanSD said:

I don't have anything against either of these guys, but my two nominees are Scott Norwood (obviously) and Bruce DeHaven (cover the kickoff).  Those two gentlemen headline a cast of characters that I associate with bad memories as a Bills fan.  

These two have to be the finalists, but because of the significance of the game, Norwood is the easy winner (or it that loser?).

• Like (+1) 1

Has to be Norwood, best alignment with Buckner. Buckner makes the play, series is over. Norwood makes the kick, Bills win Super Bowl. Buckner's play was more routine vs. a 47 yard FG but it's a very makeable kick. 

Norwood was only 37-61 for his career from 40-49 yards (61%). I was surprised to see Christie was only 67% (77-115) for career though 70.4% for Bills. Even Rian Lindell was only 68% for the Bills and 67% for his career from 40-49. 

13 minutes ago, dollars 2 donuts said:

Respectfully,  I can’t help but read the above and think along the lines of, “Yeah, yeah, I know Hitler started WW 2, but besides him why did that thing get going?”

In short...

It.

Is.

Scott.

Norwood.

There's no doubt it's wide right... Anyone else notice the Cowboys missed a 47 yard fg wide right on Thursday?

Edited by Motorin'
  • Like (+1) 4

Its Norwood 100%.

His name is linked to the team in the consciousness of every sports fan.  

While most Bills fans do not hold any ill will toward Norwood...  There would be a storyline nationally of Norwood's spirit being free if the Bills won the Superbowl.  

• Like (+1) 2

18 minutes ago, bighorn_zilla said:

In connection with some talk about “running the table” and being the number 1 seed in the AFC, my mind made a greater leap – I know “getting way ahead of myself” – to winning the super bowl and what it would feel like.  For context, I have been a fan since 1967 and am old enough to remember nearly the Bills entire history. 

With that said, I started thinking about other franchises in similar situations, the Cubs ending the 108-year drought or the Boston Red Sox and the 86-year period of futility from 1918 to 2004 and how their fans reacted.  In the case of each referenced franchise, as part of their celebrations, each "forgave" someone - the Cubs “forgave” Steve Bartman and the Sox “forgave” Bill Buckner. 

In case of my great leap, to me, the obvious response for the Bills would be player Scott Norwood.  But I would like to read TBD’s responses – it can be a player (Tom Demsey failing to break the Dolphin streak, Ronnie Harmon for dropping Kelly’s pass in the endzone), fan (the dude who slide off the upper deck), coach (Wade Phillips for getting over run by the owner with the Flutie/Johnson thing), owner, GM, event.  Who or What would you "forgive?"

nice first post. welcome to TBD.

There gave been several goats (Norwood, Harmon, the ref who made the incorrect call on the Home Run Throw Forward, the McKelvin fumble, even the beloved Jim Kelly for his 4 stupid interceptions in a 37-24 loss in SB XXVI). 

To me the most egregious goats were the Tragedy in Tennessee Ref and the McKelvin fumble on MNF opening week that killed the entire season for me (I mean what's he thinking?). I will likely never forgive these two even if we win 10 superbowls. 

But I will forgive (maybe I already have)  Norwood. Just because of the stage, it might have been the play with the biggest impact. But I do feel sorry for the guy. He had never made a 47 yarder on grass ever. So it was not a gimme by any means.  I think he lives in Buffalo now and I remember a game where he was honored. 

23 minutes ago, Motorin' said:

There's no doubt it's wide right... Anyone else notice the Cowboys 8missed a 47 yard fg wide right on Thursday?

Wide right was very significant...that was a game that the Bills should have won. They would have had a place in history.

Edited by Rocket94
  • Like (+1) 2

45 minutes ago, bighorn_zilla said:

Whippersnapper ?

Kemp’s errant endzone pass that Johnny Robinson returned all the way for a TD in the ‘66 title game.

P.S. Oldtimers use eyeglasses, not bigger font.?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

I believe it has to be Scott Norwood. If he makes a tough, but very makeable 47 yard FG, the Bills not only win the Super Bowl, but, IMO, impacts the team in following three Super Bowls, from a psychological perspective - particularly the last two. 

• Like (+1) 1