Austin Hooper, FA to be. Would ya?

Virgil

Is he really a free agent already? Boy does time fly. I am all in on this idea. We could finally have a guy where we can go “Hoooooooppppp” and everyone watching who isn’t a Bills fan can be like “why are they booing him” and then the smartest guy in the room can stand up and proudly proclaim “they are going hoop, not booing.” We all know that one guy. 

Edited by PetermansRedemption

2 hours ago, Virgil said:

Apparently you can have two.  

The Hooper/Knox matchup could be a think of nightmares for other teams.  

Could be just like the Gronk/Hernandez tandem, but with less....casualties 

There are much more important things to focus on than getting a 2nd TE.

I love the guy.   I don't know how many drops Knox has but it's obviously enough to concern anyone, he did it in camp quite a bit and again this year in regular season.

Knox is tough, good blocker, but unproven as a receiver.  Not in college, and not yet in the pros.

Hooper might have injury issues that could scare away teams, but I think he'd beat out Knox in camp and earn the start next year.

5 hours ago, Rc2catch said:

Our tight end production is not because of talent or inability to get open it’s simply Allen doesn’t look for them often or Daboll does not have them as part of the passing game plan.

This is it. All that really needs to be said.

Allen doesn't look/Target TE's because Daboll does not run them in his schemes.

Keep what we have for the moments we do go that way

• Like (+1) 1

No thanks.

Roll with Knox and Sweeney next season....maybe even keep Kroft another year.

Upgrade at WR (probably through a high draft pick) and look to bring in another RB through free agency or another mid-round guy.

4 hours ago, MJS said:

We have a TE.

Kind of how I feel.

Hopper has gotten better each year. He is a good TE.

i really think Knox can be better than Hooper. Hooper is a big target but he just doesn’t possess the same athleticism as Knox. 
I even think Sweeney might be able to develop into something. 
I am hoping Lee Smith is the odd man out after this season not Kroft. 

1 hour ago, Virgil said:

Please explain what those things are that would prohibit us from also taking a look at him?

WR, #2 RB, Oline, Linebacker (to replace Alexander), Edge Rusher, Kicker, and even CB depth. #2 TE is probably last thing on the list.

1 minute ago, MJS said:

WR, #2 RB, Oline, Linebacker (to replace Alexander), Edge Rusher, Kicker, and even CB depth. #2 TE is probably last thing on the list.

Draft, draft, draft/FA, maybe FA, draft, FA, Draft/FA

7 hours ago, jwhit34 said:

Per Spotrac Kroft dead cap in '20 is $1.6 million. If they could upgrade with Hooper that would be worth it, he's really good.

Kroft contract is a good example of Beane/front office structuring contracts in a prudent way. His base salary next year is $4.5M but had only a limited amount in guarantees thus only $1.6M in dead cap if released. 

Hooper, Knox, Brown, Beasley and either FA WR or 1st round WR pick plus Singletary out of backfield - now you've got weapons. 

Background on Kroft contract

https://buffalowdown.com/2019/07/02/buffalo-bills-have-an-easy-out-on-tyler-krofts-contract/

15 hours ago, Virgil said:

Tight End in Atlanta whose gotten better every year.  Big performer and about to be an unrestricted free agent.  Falcons have big salary cap issues. 

I know we have Knox and just signed Kroft, but this guy is big, fast, and has hands.  He can pull down high point passes and would be a legit end zone threat.  He lines up at receiver a lot. 

I’d love to see us cut Kroft and go after him.   He’d be highly utilized in Daboll’s offense and I think he could be a go to guy for Allen that would draw attention from everyone else.  

I’d as much want him as a big bodied number one.  Brown, Beasley; Hooper, Singletary, and Knox on the field all at once sounds pretty good to me.  

He’s gonna cost money, but probably only 4-5 mil more than Kroft.  That’s a worthy upgrade to me. 

Hell yeah, always improve the roster.

On 12/3/2019 at 11:29 AM, Virgil said:

Tight End in Atlanta whose gotten better every year.  Big performer and about to be an unrestricted free agent.  Falcons have big salary cap issues. 

I know we have Knox and just signed Kroft, but this guy is big, fast, and has hands.  He can pull down high point passes and would be a legit end zone threat.  He lines up at receiver a lot. 

I’d love to see us cut Kroft and go after him.   He’d be highly utilized in Daboll’s offense and I think he could be a go to guy for Allen that would draw attention from everyone else.  

I’d as much want him as a big bodied number one.  Brown, Beasley; Hooper, Singletary, and Knox on the field all at once sounds pretty good to me.  

He’s gonna cost money, but probably only 4-5 mil more than Kroft.  That’s a worthy upgrade to me. 

I don’t even care if we cut Kroft.   Give him a full offseason healthy with the playbook and Allen and see what he can do.  Look at the Ravens.  3 good TE is not too many

Knox needs to rid himself of the dropsies if he’s gonna be able to make it.  Needs to figure out what drills Beasley does and do em

• Like (+1) 1

Can I change my answer on this?

Two things definately needed

A big WR that can get open and catch.....Hooper would be a good option....I still thnk Dawson Knox has it but we need more..really would have helped us today a big WR that could have shielded Peters off and we tie that game at the end.

Also

Im about done with Frank Gore.....he isnt running angry anymore its probably just late in the season and age.....give me a ANGRY RUNNING FAST RB to pair up with Devin......who makes plays and deserves his carries but when we give him a beather it is like we just concede there will be no big play when he comesout......spend some money on another RB that can break a game open with some runs.

On 12/3/2019 at 1:47 PM, Virgil said:

I apologize for the music, but just a sample.  Comparing him to anyone on our roster is insane to me.  Knox could get there, but having two of them....my god. 

this guy has some long arms.