Austin Hooper, FA to be. Would ya?

Virgil

Yes.  Adding Hooper is almost like adding a WR1 IMO.  He's a mismatch, and will further free up Beasley and Brown and Knox.  We can then spend other FA money on Edge, and draft more WR, OL, DL, RB (will need another) etc.  

39 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

Im actually liking Knox and Sweeney

We need a big fast wr that can catch

draft has a ton.  I'd go w/ Hooper, Knox, draft WR.  

• Like (+1) 2

Eric Ebron, Hunter Henry and Jack Doyle are also set to be UFAs who could be looked at as improvements too. We have other needs, such as re-signing/replacing Jordan Phillips, Shaq, possibly replacing LorAx, replacing Levi and/or Kevin Johnson, maybe Frank Gore maybe depth at OT. So we do have some cap room but some needs to fill yet not sure I make TE top priority as rather keep are defense top notch and let Knox develop more and move Kroft further down the depth chart since he's not killing our cap. 

Edited by The Jokeman

1 hour ago, Rc2catch said:

I took a peak just to be sure, Hooper is already over 70 targets this season. Knox is under 40. I didn’t look at Kroft cause there’s no way he’s been targeted much. 
Hoopers lowest targets per game was 5, which is knoxs best almost at 6. 

Hooper by himself is targeted more in Atlanta than all of our tight ends combined here. Add in the fact Matt Ryan cannot run and HAS to get the ball out in less than 5 seconds or it’s an auto sack plus they have a bad o line and zero running game. Allen did not target tight ends last year, and not much this year, either that’s him or Daboll I do not know. Allen spreads the ball around even when someone is hot. He does not force feed targets 

Isn't this true for 99.99% of QBs? lol

I would love Hooper, cut Kroft as his cap hit is minimal if cut. Hooper's contract could be structured to have an easy out after 3 years which will allow him to be cut or traded once Knox's contract is up. I think Knox has pro-bowl potential but he is still very very raw. I think he is more than likely 2 years away from being a consistent player. Hooper would bridge that gap with elite level play and open the possibility for elite level TE play from two players (along with having Sweeney for depth and hopefully taking over Smith's role after 2020.) 

But is TE a priority to the point where the Bills should sign the top guy on the market? No and while I wouldn't hate adding an elite weapon like Hooper I think the Bills have to do a cost benefit analysis of wither or not their cap dollars are better spent elsewhere. 

I think given the future contract extensions needed in the next two seasons along with some starters who are free agents this off-season (Shaq, J.Phillips, and Spain) you only really have maybe 20-30 million in cap space to to go after supplemental free agents which if you take those factors into consideration is a TE on the top of your list to tie up a lot of your free agency dollars in? 

I think you are better off spending that "discretionary" money on a pass rusher and a number two corner on defense or chasing a WR1 if one hits the market. As opposed to going after a more mid-level FA at TE to take Kroft's position and keep developing Knox. 

26 minutes ago, MJS said:

We have a TE.

Apparently you can have two.  

The Hooper/Knox matchup could be a think of nightmares for other teams.  

Could be just like the Gronk/Hernandez tandem, but with less....casualties 

• Haha (+1) 2

3 hours ago, Virgil said:

Tight End in Atlanta whose gotten better every year.  Big performer and about to be an unrestricted free agent.  Falcons have big salary cap issues. 

I know we have Knox and just signed Kroft, but this guy is big, fast, and has hands.  He can pull down high point passes and would be a legit end zone threat.  He lines up at receiver a lot. 

I’d love to see us cut Kroft and go after him.   He’d be highly utilized in Daboll’s offense and I think he could be a go to guy for Allen that would draw attention from everyone else.  

I’d as much want him as a big bodied number one.  Brown, Beasley; Hooper, Singletary, and Knox on the field all at once sounds pretty good to me.  

He’s gonna cost money, but probably only 4-5 mil more than Kroft.  That’s a worthy upgrade to me. 

Nice find. We can easily move away from Kroft - Dead Cap is only 1.6 million. Hooper is a very good run blocker and also very good at making contested catches (think Duke Williams). The knock on him was that he was not quick enough. But he can easily give you 600+ yards from the TE spot.

2 hours ago, Virgil said:

I apologize for the music, but just a sample.  Comparing him to anyone on our roster is insane to me.  Knox could get there, but having two of them....my god. 

Agreed. I dont know why people think you can only have one good TE. Hes a stud. Side note, you're one of my favorite posters here. Nice mix between humor/quality posts, find myself agreeing with you alot.

Back to the original point, does nobody remember Gronk/Murderer as a duo. It's such a unique mismatch, you cant possibly put the correct personnel on the field to deal with it.

• Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Canadian Bills Fan said:

If it made cap sense, I wouldn't mind cutting Kroft and making a run at Hooper

Don't know how much of a cap hit it would be to cut Kroft after 1 year

Been wrong many times, but I think Kroft is likely gone before next season. Beane & SM may already be investigating the possibility.  We all know BB doesn’t actually sleep.

11 minutes ago, BillsShredder83 said:

Agreed. I dont know why people think you can only have one good TE. Hes a stud. Side note, you're one of my favorite posters here. Nice mix between humor/quality posts, find myself agreeing with you alot.

Back to the original point, does nobody remember Gronk/Murderer as a duo. It's such a unique mismatch, you cant possibly put the correct personnel on the field to deal with it.

Get a room you two 

• Haha (+1) 1

3 hours ago, peterpan said:

Knox has made some big plays, but he's had a high number of drops too.  We need someone more consistent at TE 1.  Plus I love the idea of multiple stud TEs.  

OJ Howard is another guy whom seems under utilized and could be had.  Maybe via trade if he's not a FA yet.  It's possible bc TB will likely be looking for a QB.

knox will improve his hands with time. i think next year he will be a true number one tight end