(Article) Where there's 'Smoke': John Brown bringing fire to Bills' offense

BillsFan4

https://www.espn.com/blog/buffalo-bills/post/_/id/33973/where-theres-smoke-john-brown-bringing-fire-to-bills-offense?platform=amp&__twitter_impression=true

ORCHARD PARK, N.Y. -- The AFC's leading receiver walked into the Buffalo Bills' locker room after a midweek practice. It wasn't Odell Beckham Jr., DeAndre Hopkins or Tyreek Hill; it's 2019 free-agent signee John Brown, who is playing for his third team in as many years.

One of the lesser-known members of a 2014 draft class that produced Beckham, Mike Evans, Davante Adams and Jarvis Landry, Brown is having his best season in Year 6 -- not a typical "breakout year" for wide receivers.

So why, in Buffalo, has he finally able to showcase his skills?

"They're letting me be a receiver here," Brown said.

This is a great advertisement for free agents next season. We have a QB, and offense, that’s helping players reach their potential.

The Bills look to be on the rise. I can’t wait to see what the future brings! 

Edited by BillsFan4
  • Like (+1) 3

2 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

This guy makes no sense to me.  Has all the tools, hands, and elite route running footwork, but just absolutely disappears.  

People tried the “decoy” excuse while he was here, but it’s his entire career now.  

• Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, Virgil said:

This guy makes no sense to me.  Has all the tools, hands, and elite route running footwork, but just absolutely disappears.  

People tried the “decoy” excuse while he was here, but it’s his entire career now.  

3 targets in each of the last two games...wow

6 minutes ago, BillsFan4 said:

https://www.espn.com/blog/buffalo-bills/post/_/id/33973/where-theres-smoke-john-brown-bringing-fire-to-bills-offense?platform=amp&__twitter_impression=true

This is a great advertisement for free agents next season. The Bills May FINALLY be able to attract some good free agent talent at wide receiver (not sure who’s available this offseason, but that’s not really the point). We have a QB and offense that is actually making its receivers Better. 

Thanks for the article. What a fine addition to the team.

Of course, we already have "good" free agent talent. The word is already out there...Buffalo is a destination for team-minded, low profile, hardworking players....not divas.  I just hope you're not thinking we need to bring in OBJ type players as "good free agent talent".  In fact, even if we looked at Sammy Watkins, I'd make it clear to him he's coming in as WR3 or WR4 and will have to work to make the team (using that as an example only...I don not want SW on this team ever again).

57 minutes ago, BillsFan4 said:

This is a great advertisement for free agents next season. We have a QB, and offense, that’s helping players reach their potential.

I always knew that Brown was completely capable. When he is healthy and given a role...he thrives!

• Like (+1) 1

Brown is a very good and polished professional receiver. He can help you in a lot of ways. I was of course aware of his rep as a burner but I'm now even more impressed with how smoothly he comes out of his breaks and with how complete his route tree is. He knows how to help out his QB and has had, and will continue to have, an important role in Allen's development as a passer. The same can be said about Beasley, who is a top slot receiver and who almost impossible to cover underneath and in the red zone. Really impressed with Beane's acumen in pursuing these guys. Worked out well for them too needless to say.

• Like (+1) 2

44 minutes ago, Virgil said:

He’s a mental midget. Qbs can’t trust him.

3 minutes ago, starrymessenger said:

Brown is a very good and polished professional receiver. He can help you in a lot of ways. I was of course aware of his rep as a burner but I'm now even more impressed with how smoothly he comes out of his breaks and with how complete his route tree is. He knows how to help out his QB and has had, and will continue to have, an important role in Allen's development as a passer. The same can be said about Beasley, who is a top slot receiver and who almost impossible to cover underneath and in the red zone. Really impressed with Beane's acumen in pursuing these guys. Worked out well for them too needless to say.

I remember the Bills coaches being surprised by Brown's display of a route tree. How could they be so surprised!

I think like most of us I had a lot of hope when Brown was signed, but was also nervous.  I think it's safe to say he has far exceeded everyone's expectations of how he would do.  Perfect guy for Buffalo - works hard, stays quiet, and does his job well.  Now the next thing to see will be as he gets more attention, can he continue to do well and will his teammates step up to make opposing defenses pay for not focusing on them.

1 hour ago, Virgil said:

When you do it at an elite level for a career it’s canton worthy. 

Hall of fame decoy 

Edited by Over 29 years of fanhood

1 hour ago, atlbillsfan1975 said:

Another great move by Brandon. 

There were plenty here scorning those moves, “creating holes”, “looking for choir boys” clearing the roster of “all the talent”.

But yet...

*9-3

*top ranked defense 3rd in ppg 

*’Inaccurate’ QB with leagues 9th best passer rating in last 4 weeks 

*22nd and 23rd most productive backs

*5th most productive ground game 

Sure,They aren’t there yet but as the under 25 players are the ones glueing the group together, every day they get better is the new floor. 

Cant argue with the job Beane and McDermott have done and continue to do. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BringBackFergy said:

Thanks for the article. What a fine addition to the team.

Of course, we already have "good" free agent talent. The word is already out there...Buffalo is a destination for team-minded, low profile, hardworking players....not divas.  I just hope you're not thinking we need to bring in OBJ type players as "good free agent talent".  In fact, even if we looked at Sammy Watkins, I'd make it clear to him he's coming in as WR3 or WR4 and will have to work to make the team (using that as an example only...I don not want SW on this team ever again).

You must have quoted me right before I edited my post for this exact reason. I realized that I worded what I said poorly. 

I just meant that wide receivers wouldn’t avoid coming to the Bills anymore. 

Edited by BillsFan4
  • Like (+1) 1

I for one LOVED the additions this offseason, minus Kroft (where was the production and skill to warrant targeting him as a #1 TE?) and releasing Shady. I will admit to being wrong about releasing Shady, we obviously dont need him, although it would have been a luxury to have him while Devin was banged up with his hammy, but in NFL roster building, you can't have luxury at every position. 

I was most thrilled with adding Brown and Beasley. I was mocked by some non bills fans friends, and I knew that these guys would prove them wrong. I always thought Brown was explosive but that he could really be a #1 WR, which he is! He isn't the #1 like Julio or Hopkins (a freak who will go take it from guys), but he can run all the routes and get open and make plays all over the field. Not ever #1 looks like Julio or Hopkins, theres only a couple of them actually. Brown has been fantastic and is a huge reason for Josh's growth and the offense coming alive throughout this season. 

• Like (+1) 1

Brown was underutilized in Baltimore the second half of the 2018 season when Lamar was the starter in place of an injured Flacco. Lamar was a rookie and did not throw the ball nearly as much as he did this season due to him running so frequently. However, in the first half of 2018 he was one of Flacco's go-to guys 586 yards and 4 TDs through 8 games.  I was hoping the Ravens would hold onto him because everyone could see his potential as a deep threat and crisp route runner. Great pickup for the Bills without a doubt.

1 hour ago, Rocket94 said:

I remember the Bills coaches being surprised by Brown's display of a route tree. How could they be so surprised!

according to Brown in a recent interview, all he was asked to do in Balt was run deep routes, and he stated that he loved how he got to run all the routes in Buffalo.  

• Awesome! (+1) 1