MMQB: Are The Bills For Real?

YoloinOhio

20 minutes ago, Reed83HOF said:

Ravens game is a great test for us to see where we are and who this team is; playing the best team in the league and the #1 seed in the AFC. We had a great success on the national stage against Dallas, can we duplicate it? Have we gotten too cocky or can we hang with the best? All teams sometimes falter against a lesser opponent occasionally, but to be looked at as legit and take care of business against arguably the best team in football; a win in this game can propel this team further than a win against anyone else. It places our entire playoff fate right in our own hands. This is the most important game of the season right now. 

Just win the game and continue to silence the critics! I have a good feeling this week. 

2 hours ago, IgotBILLStopay said:

That is the logical response - but I have been around the block enough that I am willing to bet  at least part of the narrative will revolve around "Lamar Jackson's weaknesses", "Pats' decline" and the "Banged-up Steelers". And, compared to years past, I am fine with it.

That’s why I used “some” instead of “all”. ?‍♂️. They’ll have to drub one or two of these teams in one way or another to get full credit in the media.... Something like beat the Ravens by holding them under 17 and/or light up the Pats D like Houston just did. Regardless, if they win out they won’t be ignored, especially if that comes with a division win. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Scott7975 said:

why is beating what is currently the best team in football by a mile what makes it for sure?

He didn't say by a mile.  It does make sense.  If you want to win contend for a super bowl title you will likely need to beat the Ravens on the road in the playoffs.  Beating them in Buffalo would be a sign that the Bills are contenders.  

All of this "for real" stuff is overrated. When you are 10+ games into a season (sufficient sample size), you are what your record says you are. If we had awesome talent but were 4-8, we'd be losers. Instead we are 9-3 having beaten 9 NFL teams so far. So, we are for real with a .750 winning percentage. If we lose out, then we are a weak winning team. If we go 2-2, we are 11-5 and legitimate playoff threats. If we win out at 13-3 we'd have one of the best seasons in team history and a SB contender. Guess we will find out soon?

“I felt like our first year, you try to get away from the ‘here we go again’ moments in the game when you’re trying to build a foundation,” McDermott said. “And at some point, once you establish that, it’s, ‘O.K., we can win close games and come back from some of those moments.’”

Best part of the article (I know nobody actually reads them but they should...)

This is what some Bills fans are still working through this year.  The Bills have done a lot of things this year:

Beat Cowboys, Giants, and Redskins (Super Bowl revenge tour)

Beat the Titans on an illegal forward pass call

Won a nationally televised game  

These aren't the same old Bills.  I think that is what made the Cowboys game so big.  In the past they would get embarrassed on that stage.  Cowboys on the road, on Thanksgiving, after the league had to apologize for poor calls against the Patriots, Jerry Jones chirping, short week, #1 offense, #6 defense.  You could feel the broadcast was set up for an easy Cowboys win over the over rated Buffalo Bills.  So many shots of smug Jerry Jones, Tony Romo talking them up, Emmit visiting in the booth.  Then something happened.  The Bills won but they didn't just win, they dominated.  No comeback, no sweating out the final possession, and a shot of Jerry Jones with head buried in his hands.  

These aren't the Bills we watched bumble through season after season.  They aren't an automatic w on the schedule.  They are a team that the good teams don't want to face.  Shed the BBFS.

Let's go Buffalo!!!

54 minutes ago, auburnbillsbacker said:

He didn't say by a mile.  It does make sense.  If you want to win contend for a super bowl title you will likely need to beat the Ravens on the road in the playoffs.  Beating them in Buffalo would be a sign that the Bills are contenders.  

I didn't mean beating them by a mile.  I meant that Baltimore is the best team in the league right now by a mile.  

It makes sense only in an aspect if you think a team is for real only if they win a superbowl.  This team is light years ahead of themselves (hyperbole of course) IMO, so they are for real.  I don't care what teams were on the schedule.  Anyone can win any given week.  This is a team that many "experts" thought would be lucky to win 6 games.  To think this team isn't for real is imo poor thinking.

Edited by Scott7975