MMQB: Are The Bills For Real?

YoloinOhio

ARE THE BILLS FOR REAL?

What we saw: An Ed Oliver strip sack setting off a 15-minute run of football—stretching from the end of the second quarter to the end of the third, and turning a tie into a 23-7 edge for Buffalo—stamping the Bills as legit team for a national TV audience that probably hadn’t paid them much attention yet.

What Bills coach Sean McDermott saw: The manifestation of nearly three years of work towards changing the mindset of a franchise that had endured a two-decade downturn.

“I feel like, overall, you could hear the guys talking on the sideline throughout the end of the first half and beginning of the second half,” McDermott said, as he left AT&T Stadium on Thanksgiving night. “The guys were talking on the sidelines, you could hear it, just hear them, the belief—‘Hey, this is how we play.’ Whenever people can kind of finish your prayers, you know you’re on the same page. So that was good to hear.”

Moreover, it was proof of what McDermott and GM Brandon Beane have tried to instill in western New York since they arrived in 2017. It’s pretty simple.

Nice breakdown of the rebuild 

"The manifestation of nearly three years of work towards changing the mindset of a franchise that had endured a two-decade downturn."

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 4

6 minutes ago, SlimShady'sGhost said:

Beat the Cravens and I will say For Sure 

They can still be for real without beating the ravens imo. Off the top of my head the Seahawks, Pats and Texans are all for real. I would prioritize that second Pats game as a bigger indication. Jmo

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Scott7975 said:

why is beating what is currently the best team in football by a mile what makes it for sure?

I said beat.  Not beat down  although that would be nice ...

in answer 

To convince others that the Dallas game wasn't a FLUKE 

I'm a homer I want to believe it already 

0:)    (My head)    :devil: 

whispers in both ears 

• Haha (+1) 1

How about the Bills’ rookie class? Oliver had two sacks against the Cowboys, right tackle Cody Ford was solid against Dallas’ DeMarcus Lawrence, running back Devin Singletary finished with 101 yards from scrimmage, and tight end Dawson Knox had a good two-way game (good in the run game, three catches in the passing game) as the Bills’ pulled away. Add that to a 2018 class led by Allen and Edmunds, and a ’17 class headed by CB Tre’Davious White and LB Matt Milano, and there’s a really nice of young talent here.

?

Building through the draft.

• Like (+1) 6
  • Thank you (+1) 2

I kinda want all these media guys to continue sleeping on the Bills as we pull off one narrow win after another. Let us win the East and let people attribute it to a Pats decline rather than us playing great football. I dont care. Somehow the "underdog" mentality fits this team. No divas No outrageous contracts No drama. Just go to work every day and keep improving till you are the last team standing.

• Like (+1) 4

19 minutes ago, IgotBILLStopay said:

I kinda want all these media guys to continue sleeping on the Bills as we pull off one narrow win after another. Let us win the East and let people attribute it to a Pats decline rather than us playing great football. I dont care. Somehow the "underdog" mentality fits this team. No divas No outrageous contracts No drama. Just go to work every day and keep improving till you are the last team standing.

If we pull off a narrow win against the Ravens they aren’t gonna sleep on this team. If we follow that up with narrow wins against the Pats and Steelers some of those guys are gonna start saying this team can get to the SB. 

• Like (+1) 1

37 minutes ago, SlimShady'sGhost said:

I said beat.  Not beat down  although that would be nice ...

in answer 

To convince others that the Dallas game wasn't a FLUKE 

I'm a homer I want to believe it already 

0:)    (My head)    :devil: 

whispers in both ears 

But what if we do beat down the Ravens? Are we talking superbowl then? The chances would go up tremendously..

1 minute ago, badassgixxer05 said:

But what if we do beat down the Ravens? Are we talking superbowl then? The chances would go up tremendously..

if they win against the ravens, they'll be 10-3 and clinch a wildcard but, if they win against the steelers, then against the pats*, then you could bring superbowl in to the conversation depending on if they made the afcc game?

a whole bunch of scenarios to go through before talking superbowl, imho.

let them get past the ravens first?

• Like (+1) 2

Im sorry but I still dont see how beating the Cowboys means we are for real. Cowboys are a .500 team that are 0-5 against winning teams. It was a GOOD WIN on the road as all are but IMO it does not mean we are for real. I wanna believe we are SO BAD. Losing to the Browns and Eagles still leave a bad taste in my mouth. 

IMO, playing competitively against the Ravens (even if we lose by a possession) would show me we are for real. The Cowboys are simply not that good of a team and besides the big stage, I fail to see what was so meaningful about the win, in terms of how for real we are or not.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

Just now, DaBillsFanSince1973 said:

if they win against the ravens, they'll be 10-3 and clinch a wildcard but, if they win against the steelers, then against the pats*, then you could bring superbowl in to the conversation depending on if they made the afcc game?

a whole bunch of scenarios to go through before talking superbowl, imho.

let them get past the ravens first?

I know they have to win the games to actually get there, but I'm just talking about hype. The patriots are usually in superbowl talks before they even play week1. Ravens are the favorites to win it all right now, so if we hand it to them convincingly, I would say we would have to be added to those talks. I know its pointless, but fun to think about. 

• Like (+1) 1

Two things:

I don't mind people, especially the press, sleeping on the team. But for the players' sake, I like that they are finally getting some recognition.

Also, I like what the Bills were saying on the sideline: 'We're built different. We're built for this'.

Edited by Golden*Wheels

2 minutes ago, StHustle said:

Im sorry but I still dont see how beating the Cowboys means we are for real. Cowboys are a .500 team that are 0-5 against winning teams. It was a GOOD WIN on the road as all are but IMO it does not mean we are for real. I wanna believe we are SO BAD. Losing to the Browns and Eagles still leave a bad taste in my mouth. 

IMO, playing competitively against the Ravens (even if we lose by a possession) would show me we are for real. The Cowboys are simply not that good of a team and besides the big stage, I fail to see what was so meaningful about the win, in terms of how for real we are or not.

All year long, there's always THIS guy ready to whip it out and take a leak in the punchbowl.

No one cares you don't think they're for real. They are.

• Haha (+1) 2

1 minute ago, StHustle said:

You are right about the mediocrity of the Cowboys, but I think performing well before a national audience on perhaps the most watched game behind the Super Bowl is meaningful. The players knew the attention the game was going to get and they didn't freeze up under the bright lights. On the contrary, they played well and Allen showed composure and smart play throughout. I believe that is meaningful, though the next three weeks will discover how truly significant the growth in confidence is.

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, Joe in Winslow said:

All year long, there's always THIS guy ready to whip it out and take a leak in the punchbowl.

No one cares you don't think they're for real. They are.

Where did I say I don't think we are for real? I said that beating a .500 team that is 0-5 against teams with winning records doesnt prove we are for real. The NFL is overreacting to the win because they have no belief in us. I hold us to a HIGHER STANDARD because I do believe! The Cowboys was a team we were SUPPOSED to beat. I would have hated to go in there 8-3 and be the FIRST winning team they beat all year. The Cowboys game wasnt a litmus test for being for real. This Ravens game IS. They are in OUR HOUSE and we MUST be competitive to be "FOR REAL"

Maybe we just differ on what "FOR REAL" means. To me it means a LEGIT CONTENDER. I will say it AGAIN: Beating the mediocre Cowboys DOES NOT make us legit contenders. NOT SAYING WE ARENT. Just saying that win kept the scales even. We still have 2 losses to what appears to be pretty bad teams. We had ALOT of very close games against some terrible teams. We also have gotten better and did beat the Cowboys convincingly. THE RAVENS GAME IS THE REAL TEST. 

WAKE UP PEOPLE!

• Like (+1) 2

11 minutes ago, StHustle said:

The Ravens lost the Browns.....

• Like (+1) 2