Can Lamar Be Stopped???

Scorp83

31 minutes ago, Plano said:

"can he be stopped?" SURE. Really easy, just drive him into the ground and knock him out, it's really quite simple.

He's not a pocket passer, he's like Vick used to be, except without the super strong arm (he still has a strong arm). Can't run forever, he'll get obliterated soon enough. It's not if, it's when.

I never wish ill on any player, mind you, just stating an absolute fact. He'll get crushed one day, it's just a matter of time.

He actually is a pocket passer.  He makes quick decisions and he's been accurate.  The important factor is that it's almost exclusively over the middle of the field.

If they can take that first read away, which WILL be over the middle, then we'll win this game.  We don't need to hurt him.  We just need to make him pass outside the tackles.  Mistakes will be made and it will keep him from getting into any kind of rhythm.

My gut tells me that McDermott will take SF's blueprint, improve upon it and give Jackson fits.

Go Bills!

Lamar Jackson is a unique talent for sure; but how much of his success is based on that offensive line.  I mean, Mark Ingram is rattling of big chunks of yardage which only helps Lamar in the RPO.  The key is being stout up the middle and DE/OLB discipline and containment.  If Ingram can be mitigated by the interior D-Line and LBs, then the DE's can focus on keeping Lamar bottled up and forcing him to run within the hashmarks or pass.  However, if the Ravens O-line gives Ingram lanes where can bust runs like Philly did, then it doesn't really matter how we try and stop Lamar.  DEs or OLBs who are playing the edge, DO NOT CHASE THE RB IN THE RPO.  That's what Lamar reads and once the DE commits to the RB, as they say "HE GONE!"   This game will be won in the trenches in my opinion.  If we can outperform the Ravens O-line, we have a good chance to win this game.  If the Raven's O-line outperforms us, we don't have the firepower to keep up regardless of how well the offense may play.

Edited by Lieutenant Aldo Raine
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Motorin' said:

That offense is sustainable, but his health is not. The unfortunate thing for him is that it only takes being caught one time to end up in the protocol. 

I do think that he is a very good passer, and they will transition to a Seahawks style of play ala Russell Wilson as time goes on.

That offence is not sustainable without Lamar. He's the motor that makes it go, not only because of what he can do physically (which may be unique in league history), but because of Roman's brilliant play design that, leveraging off fear of what Lamar can do, creatively opens running lanes for guys like Ingram. To Lamar's credit he needs to make the right reads at the LOS and post snap for that to happen and he's been able to do that with great proficiency. In the passing game they are not putting too much on his plate. He's effective throwing to his TEs especially when out of the pocket when the defence has to account for him. He also does throw outside the hash but almost only in the relatively shallow flats. If he's to progress to Wilson's level he will need to show that he can manage downfield reads, which so far he has not done. If he can do that while maintaining the good accuracy and ball placement he has shown look out. In fact IMO he will need to do that because otherwise he will wind up in routine concussion protocol. He's a pretty big guy and is good at avoiding major impacts but in this league it's really only a matter of time.

Personally I'm sceptical about his chances of executing a fully developed passing game and suspect you might start seeing turnovers. So I say "show me". But if he can he's going to be flat out great.

Edited by starrymessenger

In 30 years of watching the NFL, I've never seen a system or player that couldn't be stopped with the right gameplan, the right personnel and good execution.

Right now, it's pretty clear that Lamar Jackson DOES HAVE flaws.  He doesn't operate his best when forced to throw into tight windows from the pocket.  The problem is... how do you force him into that kind of a situation?  The first step for defensive coordinators is finding the right gameplan.  And it doesn't appear the coaches of the NFL have figured it out yet.  Checkout some of the other Baltimore-related threads.  There are some really good football minds on this board, and nobody can agree on the exact approach to defending the Ravens offense yet. 

Once the Ravens offense is "figured out" (and who knows how long this could take) there will still be many teams who don't have the right talent to execute.  And it's always possible that Jackson makes great strides as a passer, further limiting how defenses can slow him down.

8 hours ago, Scorp83 said:

I've watched LJ in college, his Heisman year 2016 I think... was one of the greatest collegiate performances I've ever seen!  I mean the guy was throwing 400+ yards & rushing for damn near 200 yards every other game! It wasn't a game where he didn't score 3+ TD's ... he was remarkable.  Fast forward today... I see the same kid.  ?

I think I'm more impressed with him now than his collegiate days. John Harbaugh & Greg Roman has built something special around his talents. We all know this... but some of the things Lamar is doing is not part of the design and I think that's why DC's are having a hard time trying to figure out how to stop him.

McDermott is really good at what he does...a real student of the game... I hate his clock management but that's a different thread. But he said something yesterday that stuck with me:

"He (Lamar) is just so fast"

& that's what you can't teach or defend. LJ never ran the 40 at his pro day or combine. But, there were rumors at Louisville around 2016 that he hit 4.1 just playing around.  I don't know how much of the Ravens many of you watched this year. 

But DO NOT overreact this Sunday that our D sucks or our team is about to crumble if LJ kills our D. I'm just saying he put up 100 yards passing & 16 carries for 100 rushing with 2 TD's & it was considered his BAD GAME. I pray we can jus hold him to that.

Just don't overreact people... we're still good. 

Fun fact.....So far this season, we have given up more yards on D than our Offense gained four times.

When that happens, we're 2 W (Miami, Dallas) and 2 L (Iggles, Browns)

Straight line speed with Lamar, as in a 40-time, only tells part of the story.  He has incredible balance and top-notch agility.

You should be more impressed with LJax than in his college days.  He's become a far better passer and better at reading the field - but they still aren't asking him to be a classic make-the-reads pocket passer. 

• Like (+1) 1

I would make sure he's hit on every play, have the LE go hit him when the RT lets him crash down.

Ryan Clark had to deal with RG3 when he was unstoppable...Here's his advise from 2013:

“Our goal was to be physical with him at any opportunity we had, and I think it affected his play,” Clark said.

It surely did.  Griffin had only 177 yards passing, and he gained only eight yards on six carries.

The Steelers’ approach included Clark applying a big, high hit to Griffin as he ran a pass route on a gadget play.  “We were focused on being physical with him,” Clark said.  “When they ran the read-option, he was the guy we were focused on.  [We] had James Harrison and LaMarr Woodley on him at every chance and every opportunity that we got, just so he knew every play, he was gonna be hit.”

11 hours ago, SlimShady'sGhost said:

Please .. he's not a GOD.  

2 teams did stop him and one almost did Sunday 

If he turns out to have a long and great career like Steve McNair he should be happy.  Everyone gets figured out.

Most of the core defense practiced against an agile Qb like LJ everyday named Tyrod. Don't tell me they caught amnesia already? I think we'll be fine stopping/containing Lamar. Offense have to strike first early and often, make him stay in the pocket to beat us.

• Like (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, LB48 said:

If he turns out to have a long and great career like Steve McNair he should be happy.  Everyone gets figured out.

If.  
he’s the star of the season. 

Mahomes and Faker were the stars of last year and Darnold. 

Don’t forget Jimmy G. Who people are still questioning.  Some say it’s why they lost this past weekend. 

11 hours ago, ILBillsfan said:

DE's going against the Ravens I just do not understand how they attack the RB when the responsibility of the DE is the edge and the QB.  Countless times I saw Bosa and Armstead crash so hard on Ingram mind boggling when week after week he pulls the ball out and takes off on the edge.  Gap responsibility and as I tell my players I coach quit getting sucked inside.  Mind blowing in the NFL these fundamentals still are an issue.

I get they are all playmakers and playing on Sunday, but this is why I like Buffalos chances since they have a real good team concept and individuals understanding their  responsibilities, it really is 11 pieces working together and when one part suddenly tries to do another parts job too holes develop.  Just crazy to see sooo many DE's not understand there first priortiy

Very easy have the De get up field and attack Jackson.  Make him uncomfortable.  Read option De is not blocked.  Attack Jackson.  Rely on the linebakers to make tackles.  Do you job and assignment.  

Everyone is talking about Edmunds and Milano, but Ed Oliver could be an underrated key for the Bills to contain LJ.

He's obviously gotta keep an eye on the interior runs, but he doesn't really hold up all that well at the point of attack. Just a fact. What he does EXCEPTIONALLY well is track ball carriers from behind. I could see EO coming out of nowhere as LJ is dancing around making the LB's miss. Jackson is not a straight line guy, so his runs usually take time to develop. That gives EO the opportunity to sneak on over.

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, finn said:

Someone mentioned turnovers. That fumble Jackson had against the 49ers seemed to rattle him a bit, and he is a bit loose with the ball when he runs, especially when he's just leaving the pocket. I would coach the defense to try to strip the ball every time they tackle him. One or two turnovers might be all it takes. 

That's OK for the second guy there, but the first guy better wrap him the ***** up or he's gonna be looking at shoesoles and ...you know the rest.  LJax has amazing balance and strength.  He is very hard to trip up and is strong enough to stiff-arm and break tackles.

8 hours ago, InheritedBillsfan said:

In my opinion, the best way *to* limit what Lamar can do through the air is to play man coverage on the receivers and tight ends and take away the middle of the field particularly in the red zone. The 49'ers defense coupled with the torrential rain slowed Lamar down in the passing game as evident by some of his throwing miscues and receiver drops last Sunday, but even spying Lamar and playing disciplined defense and keeping defenders along the edge, he could not be slowed on the ground. Multiple teams have tried this approach including the Rams, Patriots, and 49'ers, and when he couldn't hit the edge, he was running through the C gaps. The Ravens are averaging 33.8 PPG and have played some of the top defenses in the league and been very successful against them.

Match up:

Right now, Baltimore is playing at a level that will be very tough to beat. Most likely, this team will not lose again in the regular season as they are playing a complete game on offense, defense, and special teams, and are playing as a single unit. They have a stout defense, the best kicker (in NFL history), and one of the top quarterbacks, running backs, and tight ends in the game.  If Buffalo has a chance of pulling out a victory, they will need to score more than 30 points and somehow get turnovers either by interception, stripping the ball away, or causing fumbles. Lamar has fumbled this season but only lost one, but sometimes his arm angle when throwing causes balls to be deflected. If the Bills can capitalize on deflections at the LoS, stripping the ball from Jackson, or playing tight man coverage and jumping a route, they have the best chance of throwing the rhythm of the Ravens offense off.

Great post, Thanks.

Can you comment on the Ravens OC situation with Skura being placed on IR?

I think there are four keys to the game for the Bills:

1) Special teams.  It's a strength for the Ravens.  They arguably won on ST play vs SF.  Harbaugh said as much in his presser.  ST has been at best inconsistent and at times, an Achilles heel for the Bills.    Bills need their ST unit to "show up" and if we've left any weaknesses on film, rest assured Harbaugh will find them.

2) "Play Fearless" but avoid the miscues for Allen and the offense.  We have too many miscues in the form of Center-QB exchange problems and bobbled passes. 

3) Which Run defense will show up for the Bills?  The one that held the Titans, Broncos, and Cowboys to ~100 yds or less?  Or the one that gave up 218 yds to the Eagles?

4) Adjustments - I'm sure we'll need them, will we be able to make effective ones quickly before things get out of hand?

7 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

Troll much?

John, that post was about as far from trolling as a post can get.

7 hours ago, Gugny said:

He actually is a pocket passer.  He makes quick decisions and he's been accurate.  The important factor is that it's almost exclusively over the middle of the field.

If they can take that first read away, which WILL be over the middle, then we'll win this game.  We don't need to hurt him.  We just need to make him pass outside the tackles.  Mistakes will be made and it will keep him from getting into any kind of rhythm.

My gut tells me that McDermott will take SF's blueprint, improve upon it and give Jackson fits.

Go Bills!

Good point about the middle of the field. I think we have the personnel to do that with Poyer and Hyde in the back but I think Milano and Edmunds will be key. They match up well athletically and are both three down players. 

Like the old saying goes, we aren’t going to “stop” Jackson; we will have to contain him. He’s gonna get his on the ground at times. But I think we can make it difficult for him to throw on us.