Can Lamar Be Stopped???

Scorp83

1 hour ago, Mat68 said:

Very easy have the De get up field and attack Jackson.  Make him uncomfortable.  Read option De is not blocked.  Attack Jackson.  Rely on the linebakers to make tackles.  Do you job and assignment.  

yep sounds easy enough but watch the games and see DE atk the RB pretty maddening

• Like (+1) 1

Nope.

Guess who the greatest Madden player ever is going to be next year haha. This is going to be Tecmo Bowl's Bo Jackson with Pat Mahomes arm.

15 minutes ago, ILBillsfan said:

yep sounds easy enough but watch the games and see DE atk the RB pretty maddening

Oh yes. You stop Lamar by tackling him! We need to tell the NFL DC's this new age wisdom ?

Edited by BarkleyForGOATBackupPT5P
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

12 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Great post, Thanks.

Can you comment on the Ravens OC situation with Skura being placed on IR?

I think there are four keys to the game for the Bills:

1) Special teams.  It's a strength for the Ravens.  They arguably won on ST play vs SF.  Harbaugh said as much in his presser.  ST has been at best inconsistent and at times, an Achilles heel for the Bills.    Bills need their ST unit to "show up" and if we've left any weaknesses on film, rest assured Harbaugh will find them.

2) "Play Fearless" but avoid the miscues for Allen and the offense.  We have too many miscues in the form of Center-QB exchange problems and bobbled passes. 

3) Which Run defense will show up for the Bills?  The one that held the Titans, Broncos, and Cowboys to ~100 yds or less?  Or the one that gave up 218 yds to the Eagles?

4) Adjustments - I'm sure we'll need them, will we be able to make effective ones quickly before things get out of hand?

John, that post was about as far from trolling as a post can get.

Skura was certainly a sizeable loss for the Ravens. Patrick Mekari who is an undrafted rookie stepped in admirably in the Rams game when Skura went down and made line calls without missing a beat.  Against the 49'ers he also did well considering it was his first start, but there were times where he was manhandled or on his back given the 49'ers D-Line most likely tried to exploit a rookie center. 

I think all of suggestions sound about right when it comes to playing against this Ravens team. 

13 hours ago, Clyde Smith said:

Most of the core defense practiced against an agile Qb like LJ everyday named Tyrod. Don't tell me they caught amnesia already? I think we'll be fine stopping/containing Lamar. Offense have to strike first early and often, make him stay in the pocket to beat us.

Did they really?  Who was here from 2017 on D?

The NFL world is so reactionary. LJ is the latest "we've never seen anything like this before" flavour of the week. RG3's rookie year. Chip Kelly's up tempo scheme. Miami with the wildcat. Mcvay's offense just last season. All these coaches and players try to revolutionize the game and then someone (usually Bill Belichick) comes and sh*ts all over their plans and we have to see the Patriots make another super bowl at the end of the year. The same thing is going to happen this year. The Ravens aren't getting by New England in January. 

• Like (+1) 1

On 12/3/2019 at 9:01 AM, Scorp83 said:

That was earlier in the year & I've mentioned this past Sunday... 100 yards passing, 100 yards rushing 2TD's on his bad day

It was considered a bad game .. because if your quarterback is only producing 200 total yards .. it is a really bad game. If any quarterback puts up 200 total yards it would be considered terrible, but for some reason in this case it is still great but not as great as his other amazing games. Running or passing the goal is to get as many yards as possible to put yourself in a position to score as much as possible. I am not trying to take anything away from what he is doing .. but as of now we still don't know if he will be a bust, need a bust in Canton or somewhere in between.

In Kaepernick’s second year as a starter, after a season of great success with the read option offense also under Roman, defensive coordinators around the league made it a point to hit Kaepernick, regardless of whether or not he kept the ball on those option plays. Every. Time. Over time, it had its desired effect. I’d like to see a similar tactic vs. Jackson. 

2 hours ago, QB Bills said:

The NFL world is so reactionary. LJ is the latest "we've never seen anything like this before" flavour of the week. RG3's rookie year. Chip Kelly's up tempo scheme. Miami with the wildcat. Mcvay's offense just last season. All these coaches and players try to revolutionize the game and then someone (usually Bill Belichick) comes and sh*ts all over their plans and we have to see the Patriots make another super bowl at the end of the year. The same thing is going to happen this year. The Ravens aren't getting by New England in January. 

Yeah in competition us fans seem to have this odd reaction to winning and success.. We don't really have anything else to go off of right now other than 10-2 teams tend to be better than others. And most don't just belly flop the next year like Chip Kelly or RG3. They might? If McVay or Kaep make one more play in the SB their respective years their legacy just is undeniable. They'd be etched in SB history haha. They were too hard to stop for a full year.. and that's all anyone's trying to do.

I don't see anything other than an offense that's hard to stop. Not sure if it's an RG3 or Russell Wilson helming this offense. Could get worse or better but it's pretty darn good now. I think Roman's a great OC for running QBs and LJ is probably by far the best he's worked with. And I see nothing wrong in his pass TBH. Looks accurate.

Anyways I think the Bills this year are pretty darn exciting too. But I can't tell you if this is a flavor of the week I just have the 2019 record and some pretty good stats against other dudes trying their damndest to beat them. Might be the best matchup we've looked forward too in like 20 years man! Lighten up it's sports.

Edited by BarkleyForGOATBackupPT5P

2 hours ago, K-9 said:

In Kaepernick’s second year as a starter, after a season of great success with the read option offense also under Roman, defensive coordinators around the league made it a point to hit Kaepernick, regardless of whether or not he kept the ball on those option plays. Every. Time. Over time, it had its desired effect. I’d like to see a similar tactic vs. Jackson. 

And honestly....Jackson does not have the physical body to hold up under that kind of punishment over time.

So far.....his athletism has saved him.

Lamar is a true dual-threat and is simply not a 1 read qb. This will give you a clue as to how good Jackson really is. In a lot of Baldy's breakdowns, you can see Lamar throwing to his 3rd and 4th read for some of his touchdowns. He truly looks to throw first. If he immediately takes off and runs, more likely than not, it was a designed QB run.

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=lamar+jackson+baldy+breakdown

On 12/3/2019 at 5:31 PM, Aireskoi said:

I would make sure he's hit on every play, have the LE go hit him when the RT lets him crash down.

Ryan Clark had to deal with RG3 when he was unstoppable...Here's his advise from 2013:

“Our goal was to be physical with him at any opportunity we had, and I think it affected his play,” Clark said.

It surely did.  Griffin had only 177 yards passing, and he gained only eight yards on six carries.

The Steelers’ approach included Clark applying a big, high hit to Griffin as he ran a pass route on a gadget play.  “We were focused on being physical with him,” Clark said.  “When they ran the read-option, he was the guy we were focused on.  [We] had James Harrison and LaMarr Woodley on him at every chance and every opportunity that we got, just so he knew every play, he was gonna be hit.”

This is my line of thinking. One of the DEs (or both) should be tackling/hitting Lamar on every running play, even after he hands the ball off. It's totally legal to hit a QB if he's carrying out a play fake and you think he may still have the ball. Have them both take deeper angles back to Lamar on every play and hit him anytime he does a play fake.

RBs have to take breathers from time to time from all the contact they take. Lamar doesn't have that option. Keep hitting him and wear him out.

Behind that I'd like to see them maybe just play 1 CB and use a S in Wallace's place when the Ravens go 13 personnel. Maybe even do it if they go 12. Someone who can cover a TE and but be better vs. the run. Give the Ravens the deep outside parts of the field. If Lamar can hit those throws, so be it, but don't give him his bread and butter play fake, pull the LBs up and drop an easy completion over the LBs and in front of the safeties. 

• Like (+1) 1