Can Lamar Be Stopped???

Scorp83

2 hours ago, CaptnCoke11 said:

I remember when the wildcat was a fad.. It was figured out and never to be heard from again.  Their offense will be figured out eventually.  If not his style of play isn’t sustainable for his health long term

That offense is sustainable, but his health is not. The unfortunate thing for him is that it only takes being caught one time to end up in the protocol. 

I do think that he is a very good passer, and they will transition to a Seahawks style of play ala Russell Wilson as time goes on.

Not sure if Lamar can be stopped, but it will definitely bring out the competitive fire in the Bills defense to take on the challenge.  That will be interesting to see play out.  Josh Allen is super competitive as well so I'm sure he will have his Wheels in high gear on Sunday.

Posted this in another thread. Over the last 8 games, Jackson and Allen have pretty similar stats. They are both in the top five in most TDs, TD % per total touches, and fewest turnovers.

PASSING

G     Cmp    Att    Inc    Cmp%    Yds      TD    Int    Rate    Sk    Yds    Y/A    AY/A
Jackson    8    127    188    61      67.55    1422    15      3    109.8    11     42    7.56    8.44
Allen          8    146    235    89      62.13    1688    13      2      98.7     18     95    7.18    7.91

RUSHING

Att    Yds    Y/A    TD    Fmb    FL    FF    FR
Jackson    104    739    7.11     6       5    1    0    2       
Allen            62    299    4.82     5        7    1    0    3

If the Bills can keep Jackson under 6 yards per carry, this should be a good game.

• Thank you (+1) 1

Hi all,

New poster here. Yes, I am a Ravens fan, but also a Bills fan as my extended family lives in the Buffalo area, so I often follow both teams as much as possible. I've seen each Ravens game this season and 5 Bills games this year, so admittedly missed half of Buffalo's games but have watched the highlights of each game. I will however say that I enjoyed watching the Bills games very much when it town while enjoying BarBill wings and Beef on Weck. BarBill > Duffs > Anchor Bar or any other wings I've had in the regional area. ?

Quarterbacks: 

Each quarterback for both the Bills and Ravens have progressed immensely in their respective offenses, and each can give opposing teams trouble through the air and on the ground. But each have different playing styles and capabilities. I don't need to touch on the strengths and weaknesses of Allen, but he reminds me a bit of a Cam Newton style player; big physical quarterback with a strong arm and can hurt you on the ground and in the air with improvising and extending plays with his legs and arm. His chemistry with Brown and Beasley this season have given him a combo of two strong wide outs and help to open up the run game for Singletary and Gore as well as some of his rushing TD's. Allen in my opinion has a strong pocket awareness and can feel the rush, and is becoming one of the better quarterbacks in the league in extending plays. Before the draft, Allen was the quarterback I was hoping Baltimore would go after.  The Bills have a centerpiece to their offense and organization who will be giving teams fits for years to come, and hopefully take over the AFCE. 

As for Lamar and containing him,  the best scenario is "limiting" him and his options both through the air and on the ground.  I think what makes it so difficult to even limit what he does on the field is because if the option is not there to throw, he can often make big plays with his legs. When a running option isn't there, he has completed a high percentage of his passes both in the red zone and on 3rd and 4th down conversions. But to clarify, Lamar does not look to run as his first option nor is he a one read quarterback.  He has 25 pass TD's/5 INT's on the year, with 7 rushing TD's and will most likely go over 1,000 yards rushing on the year this coming week. 

In my opinion, the best way *to* limit what Lamar can do through the air is to play man coverage on the receivers and tight ends and take away the middle of the field particularly in the red zone. The 49'ers defense coupled with the torrential rain slowed Lamar down in the passing game as evident by some of his throwing miscues and receiver drops last Sunday, but even spying Lamar and playing disciplined defense and keeping defenders along the edge, he could not be slowed on the ground. Multiple teams have tried this approach including the Rams, Patriots, and 49'ers, and when he couldn't hit the edge, he was running through the C gaps. The Ravens are averaging 33.8 PPG and have played some of the top defenses in the league and been very successful against them.

Match up:

Right now, Baltimore is playing at a level that will be very tough to beat. Most likely, this team will not lose again in the regular season as they are playing a complete game on offense, defense, and special teams, and are playing as a single unit. They have a stout defense, the best kicker (in NFL history), and one of the top quarterbacks, running backs, and tight ends in the game.  If Buffalo has a chance of pulling out a victory, they will need to score more than 30 points and somehow get turnovers either by interception, stripping the ball away, or causing fumbles. Lamar has fumbled this season but only lost one, but sometimes his arm angle when throwing causes balls to be deflected. If the Bills can capitalize on deflections at the LoS, stripping the ball from Jackson, or playing tight man coverage and jumping a route, they have the best chance of throwing the rhythm of the Ravens offense off. 

To me, this game comes down to the Bills offense picking up the blitzes, winning their one on one battles against Baltimore's secondary, and  keeping up with the Ravens offense. Lamar & Co. will get their yards and score if it is not precipitating outside, although they still scored 30 in Seattle when it was raining.  Last week's game against the 49'ers was probably not an accurate gauge for either team given how poor the weather was, although both teams ran the ball effectively.  If folks are not familiar with the Ravens team, the poor tacking on defense was atypical, although they did settle down after halftime and make adjustments. Much credit goes to the 49'ers game plan -and- execution as the game could have went either way. Both teams fumbled the ball away and both teams struggled at times on offense and defense, but you're essentially seeing two of the best teams going head to head.

Again, I think if the Bills are able to play ball control on offense while keeping Lamar and Co. off the field, win the turn over battle, force turnovers, and are successful playing man coverage against receivers and tight ends, they will have a chance to win this game. Buffalo's weakness appears to be with run defense which is Baltimore's strength, so this should be something to keep an eye on. 

Baltimore updates:

To review the Browns loss, there have been quite a few changes/enhancements on defense since giving up 40 points that have improved both communication and play on the field.  The Chiefs game Baltimore played out of rhythm on both offense and defense until it was too late. I think they have made adjustments since and took the loss to heart. 

Additions/Changes:

*Tony Jefferson who was playing strong safety and wearing the green dot on the defense was placed on the injured reserve and taking his place is Chuck Clark. Tony was notorious for being susceptible in pass coverage and was often slow to the play resulting in giving up big passes.  Since Chuck has taken over and working side by side with Earl Thomas, the safety play and on field communication seems to have improved dramatically. 

*Inside linebackers Patrick Onwuasor playing the SAM position and Chris Board playing WILL were not performing up to their position, partially because Onwuasor's strength is at the WILL position. Baltimore signed Josh Bynes and LJ Forte to help sure up the position while moving Onwuasor back to WILL.  Josh Bynes played beside Ray Lewis and CJ Mosely during the 2012 Super Bowl run, and was a key contributor to the linebacker play that season. Brining him back in as well as LJ Forte has brought speed and discipline to the filed. Chris Board simply was not a good player and Onwuasor was playing out of position. 

*Baltimore also signed Marcus Peters before the trade deadline to help with play inside and outside CB while Jimmy Smith was injured. After the bye week, Jimmy Smith also returned to bolster the CB position. In 6 games with Baltimore Peters has 3 INT's with two of them being pic sixes.  However, one of Peter's weaknesses can be his tackling abilities. He is a ball hawk but has not been playing physical with his tackles. 

*And to assist with the injury (who is now back ) to DT Michael Pierce as well as improve the inside pass rush, the Ravens signed Domato Peko (DT) and Jihad Ward (DE) who have both been disruptive in the run game but have also helped to bring inside pass rush and provide depth along the line. Albeit, neither are world beaters, each are rotational contributors on the D line.

All of the above mentioned is contributing to the enhanced play of the Baltimore defense which has only given up more than 20 points once since week 5.  While I think it is possible to put up points on this defense, they should not be overlooked. And this this is not to take any credit away from the Bills offense or defense. 

Lamar game tapes/highlights:

***Specifically for those interested in becoming more familiar with who Lamar is and have *not* watched many of his games, I would highly encourage you to watch the below videos. Game highlights against four top opponents and one bad (Bengals). Granted these videos do not show his mishaps, it does show his capabilities.

vs New England:

vs Houston:

vs Seattle:

vs LA Rams:

vs Cincinnati ( as bad as they are )

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, ILBillsfan said:

I like that Bills secondary is more zone as well for this game.  Definitely do not want to run man vs the Ravens offense.  Need to be in zone so you can react to the breakdown when it happens(oh it will a few times in the game) and that is when Jackson get's some good yardage.  Looked to me as well the 49ers also were very well disciplined in the pass rush and not getting too far up field on the edges.  Some of those inaccurate balls were present in that game not sure if it was due to the weather or not but some of the misses were bad.

The Bills Defense can do this the way Edmunds helps out in the middle and Milano on the RB TE releases on the outside.

The benefit of zone is that the D can watch Jackson. It also allows some bigger windows for him.

I would prefer him to try to fit the ball into a tight window or get frustrated/pull it down.  When he runs, they need to hit him hard.

• Like (+1) 1

Someone mentioned turnovers. That fumble Jackson had against the 49ers seemed to rattle him a bit, and he is a bit loose with the ball when he runs, especially when he's just leaving the pocket. I would coach the defense to try to strip the ball every time they tackle him. One or two turnovers might be all it takes. 

31 minutes ago, InheritedBillsfan said:

Hi all,

New poster here. Yes, I am a Ravens fan, but also a Bills fan as my extended family lives in the Buffalo area, so I often follow both teams as much as possible. I've seen each Ravens game this season and 5 Bills games this year, so admittedly missed half of Buffalo's games but have watched the highlights of each game. I will however say that I enjoyed watching the Bills games very much when it town while enjoying BarBill wings and Beef on Weck. BarBill > Duffs > Anchor Bar or any other wings I've had in the regional area. ?

Quarterbacks: 

Each quarterback for both the Bills and Ravens have progressed immensely in their respective offenses, and each can give opposing teams trouble through the air and on the ground. But each have different playing styles and capabilities. I don't need to touch on the strengths and weaknesses of Allen, but he reminds me a bit of a Cam Newton style player; big physical quarterback with a strong arm and can hurt you on the ground and in the air with improvising and extending plays with his legs and arm. His chemistry with Brown and Beasley this season have given him a combo of two strong wide outs and help to open up the run game for Singletary and Gore as well as some of his rushing TD's. Allen in my opinion has a strong pocket awareness and can feel the rush, and is becoming one of the better quarterbacks in the league in extending plays. Before the draft, Allen was the quarterback I was hoping Baltimore would go after.  The Bills have a centerpiece to their offense and organization who will be giving teams fits for years to come, and hopefully take over the AFCE. 

As for Lamar and containing him,  the best scenario is "limiting" him and his options both through the air and on the ground.  I think what makes it so difficult to even limit what he does on the field is because if the option is not there to throw, he can often make big plays with his legs. When a running option isn't there, he has completed a high percentage of his passes both in the red zone and on 3rd and 4th down conversions. But to clarify, Lamar does not look to run as his first option nor is he a one read quarterback.  He has 25 pass TD's/5 INT's on the year, with 7 rushing TD's and will most likely go over 1,000 yards rushing on the year this coming week. 

In my opinion, the best way *to* limit what Lamar can do through the air is to play man coverage on the receivers and tight ends and take away the middle of the field particularly in the red zone. The 49'ers defense coupled with the torrential rain slowed Lamar down in the passing game as evident by some of his throwing miscues and receiver drops last Sunday, but even spying Lamar and playing disciplined defense and keeping defenders along the edge, he could not be slowed on the ground. Multiple teams have tried this approach including the Rams, Patriots, and 49'ers, and when he couldn't hit the edge, he was running through the C gaps. The Ravens are averaging 33.8 PPG and have played some of the top defenses in the league and been very successful against them.

Match up:

Right now, Baltimore is playing at a level that will be very tough to beat. Most likely, this team will not lose again in the regular season as they are playing a complete game on offense, defense, and special teams, and are playing as a single unit. They have a stout defense, the best kicker (in NFL history), and one of the top quarterbacks, running backs, and tight ends in the game.  If Buffalo has a chance of pulling out a victory, they will need to score more than 30 points and somehow get turnovers either by interception, stripping the ball away, or causing fumbles. Lamar has fumbled this season but only lost one, but sometimes his arm angle when throwing causes balls to be deflected. If the Bills can capitalize on deflections at the LoS, stripping the ball from Jackson, or playing tight man coverage and jumping a route, they have the best chance of throwing the rhythm of the Ravens offense off. 

To me, this game comes down to the Bills offense picking up the blitzes, winning their one on one battles against Baltimore's secondary, and  keeping up with the Ravens offense. Lamar & Co. will get their yards and score if it is not precipitating outside, although they still scored 30 in Seattle when it was raining.  Last week's game against the 49'ers was probably not an accurate gauge for either team given how poor the weather was, although both teams ran the ball effectively.  If folks are not familiar with the Ravens team, the poor tacking on defense was atypical, although they did settle down after halftime and make adjustments. Much credit goes to the 49'ers game plan -and- execution as the game could have went either way. Both teams fumbled the ball away and both teams struggled at times on offense and defense, but you're essentially seeing two of the best teams going head to head.

Again, I think if the Bills are able to play ball control on offense while keeping Lamar and Co. off the field, win the turn over battle, force turnovers, and are successful playing man coverage against receivers and tight ends, they will have a chance to win this game. Buffalo's weakness appears to be with run defense which is Baltimore's strength, so this should be something to keep an eye on. 

Baltimore updates:

To review the Browns loss, there have been quite a few changes/enhancements on defense since giving up 40 points that have improved both communication and play on the field.  The Chiefs game Baltimore played out of rhythm on both offense and defense until it was too late. I think they have made adjustments since and took the loss to heart. 

Additions/Changes:

*Tony Jefferson who was playing strong safety and wearing the green dot on the defense was placed on the injured reserve and taking his place is Chuck Clark. Tony was notorious for being susceptible in pass coverage and was often slow to the play resulting in giving up big passes.  Since Chuck has taken over and working side by side with Earl Thomas, the safety play and on field communication seems to have improved dramatically. 

*Inside linebackers Patrick Onwuasor playing the SAM position and Chris Board playing WILL were not performing up to their position, partially because Onwuasor's strength is at the WILL position. Baltimore signed Josh Bynes and LJ Forte to help sure up the position while moving Onwuasor back to WILL.  Josh Bynes played beside Ray Lewis and CJ Mosely during the 2012 Super Bowl run, and was a key contributor to the linebacker play that season. Brining him back in as well as LJ Forte has brought speed and discipline to the filed. Chris Board simply was not a good player and Onwuasor was playing out of position. 

*Baltimore also signed Marcus Peters before the trade deadline to help with play inside and outside CB while Jimmy Smith was injured. After the bye week, Jimmy Smith also returned to bolster the CB position. In 6 games with Baltimore Peters has 3 INT's with two of them being pic sixes.  However, one of Peter's weaknesses can be his tackling abilities. He is a ball hawk but has not been playing physical with his tackles. 

*And to assist with the injury (who is now back ) to DT Michael Pierce as well as improve the inside pass rush, the Ravens signed Domato Peko (DT) and Jihad Ward (DE) who have both been disruptive in the run game but have also helped to bring inside pass rush and provide depth along the line. Albeit, neither are world beaters, each are rotational contributors on the D line.

All of the above mentioned is contributing to the enhanced play of the Baltimore defense which has only given up more than 20 points once since week 5.  While I think it is possible to put up points on this defense, they should not be overlooked. And this this is not to take any credit away from the Bills offense or defense. 

***Specifically for those interested in becoming more familiar with who Lamar is and have *not* watched many of his games, I would highly encourage you to watch the below videos. Game highlights against four top opponents and one bad (Bengals). Granted these videos do not show his mishaps, it does show his capabilities.

vs New England:

vs Houston:

vs Seattle:

vs LA Rams:

Great first post. Welcome to the forums.

If the Bills somehow, some way manage to beat the Ravens, I hope you still stick around. ?

• Thank you (+1) 1

I find this whole Baltimore offense similar to the wildcat with actual passing. I expect 2 years max before it’s dead. 
with that said they are running it extremely well. They attack at every level. All the misdirection behind the line and ball handling is hard enough, then mix in screen passes, and that dreaded over the top pass play to one of the tight ends or brown. It’s a very deadly attack. They are built to control the clock and pound you into mistakes. As everyone says though can they come from behind? They have lead most games and once they get up 14 you can kiss the game goodbye. I like that the patriots played them soft and vanilla. I fully expect Belichick knows exactly how to stop this he just wanted their heads to get big and not be able to make the adjustments now before the playoffs. I have a lot of respect for what they are doing, but I consider it more of a trend than an actual legit offense that will be around for years to come. One thing is for sure, josh better be able to beat man coverage this week and be able to handle the non stop blitzing 

4 hours ago, Scorp83 said:

I've watched LJ in college, his Heisman year 2016 I think... was one of the greatest collegiate performances I've ever seen!  I mean the guy was throwing 400+ yards & rushing for damn near 200 yards every other game! It wasn't a game where he didn't score 3+ TD's ... he was remarkable.  Fast forward today... I see the same kid.  ?

I think I'm more impressed with him now than his collegiate days. John Harbaugh & Greg Roman has built something special around his talents. We all know this... but some of the things Lamar is doing is not part of the design and I think that's why DC's are having a hard time trying to figure out how to stop him.

McDermott is really good at what he does...a real student of the game... I hate his clock management but that's a different thread. But he said something yesterday that stuck with me:

"He (Lamar) is just so fast"

& that's what you can't teach or defend. LJ never ran the 40 at his pro day or combine. But, there were rumors at Louisville around 2016 that he hit 4.1 just playing around.  I don't know how much of the Ravens many of you watched this year. 

But DO NOT overreact this Sunday that our D sucks or our team is about to crumble if LJ kills our D. I'm just saying he put up 100 yards passing & 16 carries for 100 rushing with 2 TD's & it was considered his BAD GAME. I pray we can jus hold him to that.

Just don't overreact people... we're still good. 

I wish he ran his 40. He dropped a lot of draft spots because of that decision. If he was in the 4.3’s he would have been top ten imo. His playing speed is faster than I thought it was going to be. 

4 minutes ago, Rc2catch said:

I find this whole Baltimore offense similar to the wildcat with actual passing. I expect 2 years max before it’s dead. 
with that said they are running it extremely well. They attack at every level. All the misdirection behind the line and ball handling is hard enough, then mix in screen passes, and that dreaded over the top pass play to one of the tight ends or brown. It’s a very deadly attack. They are built to control the clock and pound you into mistakes. As everyone says though can they come from behind? They have lead most games and once they get up 14 you can kiss the game goodbye. I like that the patriots played them soft and vanilla. I fully expect Belichick knows exactly how to stop this he just wanted their heads to get big and not be able to make the adjustments now before the playoffs. I have a lot of respect for what they are doing, but I consider it more of a trend than an actual legit offense that will be around for years to come. One thing is for sure, josh better be able to beat man coverage this week and be able to handle the non stop blitzing 

I think it will probably be 4 years until Jackson loses a step and he might still be effective when he does.

"can he be stopped?" SURE. Really easy, just drive him into the ground and knock him out, it's really quite simple.

He's not a pocket passer, he's like Vick used to be, except without the super strong arm (he still has a strong arm). Can't run forever, he'll get obliterated soon enough. It's not if, it's when.

I never wish ill on any player, mind you, just stating an absolute fact. He'll get crushed one day, it's just a matter of time.

43 minutes ago, InheritedBillsfan said:

Hi all,

Quarterbacks: 

Match up:

Baltimore updates:

Additions/Changes:

vs New England:

vs Houston:

vs Seattle:

vs LA Rams:

Troll much?

2 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

Troll much?

Sure do. And you're welcome for the content and education on Baltimore. 

14 minutes ago, Logic said:

Great first post. Welcome to the forums.

If the Bills somehow, some way manage to beat the Ravens, I hope you still stick around. ?

Thanks, much appreciated. I was posting on Billzone for a number of years, but just haven't had the time to do much posting on any message boards. 

2 hours ago, Greg S said:

How the hell did the Browns beat them? If I remember correctly they beat them in Baltimore and it was a blowout win.

They sacked Lamar 4 times. They got the lead and forced him to throw, and picked him off twice. 

Chubb broke a run for about 90 and a TD, and Mayfield threw for about 350. 

Edited by Motorin'
  • Thank you (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

Troll much?

I really don't see how he was trolling? He gave his breakdown of the game, which is obviously slanted towards the Ravens since he's a Ravens fan.

Lord knows his post was a more meaningful contribution to the discussion than 70% of what Bills fans post here on a regular basis.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, Logic said:

I really don't see how he was trolling? He gave his breakdown of the game, which is obviously slanted towards the Ravens since he's a Ravens fan.

Lord knows his post was a more meaningful contribution to the discussion than 70% of what Bills fans post here on a regular basis.

It was kinda sarcasm.....I should have been more clear.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Mikey152 said:

The NFL is a matchup league.

The 49ers have a great defense because their defensive line is full of studs.  The pass rush they generate, on top of playing strong run defense, is formidible for a traditional offense.  But as others have pointed out, that fierce rush and playmaking ability left them out of position a few times against the Ravens, as they were trying so hard to make a TFL they didn't always do their job and it cost them.  That said, they only gave up 20 points.

The Patriots defense wins with aggressive man coverage and creative pressure packages.  The two things they are most susceptible to are QB runs and passing over the middle.

Pats are susceptible to runs in general I think, we gashed them pretty good on the ground. Yeah the 49ers did a very good job containing their RB's, Ingram and Edwards, not so much Jackson on his runs.  They did only give up 20 points, but again, I'd give an assist to the weather.

I am sure the Bills will try and take some things from the 49ers and will have some wrinkles of their own.  It will be interesting to see how well they work.