Can Lamar Be Stopped???

Scorp83

1 hour ago, thenorthremembers said:

This is the sort of hyperbole that kills me.   Is Lamar an incredible athlete, yes.  I would even say generational as far as athletic traits, but he can be beat.   

The hyperbole part comes in because he didnt throw for 400 yards every other game, he threw for 400 yards twice in his entire college career, thats 38 games.   He also only ran for 200 yards once, and he never had a 400 passing and 200 rushing yard game.

The Lamar stuff is starting to be stuff of legend more than reality.   At some point someone is going to take away his tight ends and make him play QB.   He is the MVP this season, no question but he can be beat.   He was beat quite a lot in college. 

Just like Faker Mayfield and Sam Darnold last season

And ....   Mahomes who? 

12 minutes ago, nucci said:

Catch up with what? He's quick and fast and a good passer. Has anyone caught up to Russell Wilson...

Wilson is 10x the passer Jackson is. Hell, Wilson is 10x the passer he used to be early in his career. Not saying Jackson won't get there, but it's not an accurate comparison right now. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

Because of their backs and O-line Ravens have a good NFL calibre ground game without Lamar. With him and Roman they take it to another level and best in class. Being himself a great runner he makes the other parts of it that much better. The Ravens O is not unidimensional but their passing game largely (and I would say disproportionately) leverages off the ground game. At the end of the day, great as it is, it is not really a balanced and properly diversified attack. All the pre-draft scuttlebutt about Lamar not being able to throw was nonsense. His arm strength is good but not great. Some question his accuracy but I don't. His ball placement looks pretty good to me. Having said that I see no evidence of him being able to make all the throws and while of course he may improve my sense of it is that there is probably not a lot of upside there otherwise we would have seen more of it by now. In fact we have seen none of it IMO. So while it was wrong for people to call him a running back (or a wide receiver) at this level he is and is likely to remain a running quarterback. Lamar is great at what he does but he, and the Raven's O, is not likely to ever get any better and it is vulnerable because of its necessary dependence on the ground game (because Lamar is limited as a passer). DCs will eventually catch up and I agree with what other posters here have said about setting the edge, bringing pressure up the middle, maintaining gap responsibility and covering the middle of the field (and control time of possession if you can).

Over time if Allen continues to progress at the rate he has he will be a more complete pro quarterback and with a few more playmakers the Bills offence will ultimately be harder to defend. Much as I like Lamar I would not today trade Allen for the league's likely MVP. 

As others have said we probably match up reasonably well with Baltimore. Not confidently predicting a win because they are at the peak of their game but it should be very interesting. Really eager to see how McD and Frazier deal with it. They are pretty good after all. 

Edited by starrymessenger
  • Like (+1) 3

13 rushing attempts for -1 yards and 3 receptions for 4 yards..... Those are Barry Sanders stats in a playoff game. Every player can be stopped. The issue is what you give up to stop that player. To stop Lamar Jackson completely you have to give up the inside run which almost guarantees a loss with Ingram (it’s why they signed him) going wild. Now, maybe the weather helps like that referenced Sanders game. IDK. Eventually the physicality of the NFL will change Jackson’s game just like it did to Chris Johnson and RGIII. Perhaps the NFL will pull back some of the QB run protections (highly unlikely). No matter, Jackson will have to evolve just like Josh, R Wilson, Favre, etc to have continued success. 

As for how this team stops L Jackson.... Short of Jackson, Yanda, Ingram, or Andrews getting injured early we don’t stop him. However, if this team plays disciplined football and the offense is effective we can limit Jackson and likely force some turnovers. Honestly, if Allen puts up better numbers than Jackson we probably win this game barring TOs, penalties, etc. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, SlimShady'sGhost said:

Please .. he's not a GOD.  

2 teams did stop him and one almost did Sunday 

Yes, the 2nd best D in the league almost stopped him from rushing for over 100 yards and a TD, 21 1st downs on 62 total plays in horrible weather.

And those 2 teams (months ago) stopped him?  The Chiefs were able to keep him under 350 combined yards (they still scored 4 TDs).  The Browns "stopped him" by allowing 247 yards passing/3 TDs plus 66 yards rushing.

Edited by Mr. WEO
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Scorp83 said:

I've watched LJ in college, his Heisman year 2016 I think... was one of the greatest collegiate performances I've ever seen!  I mean the guy was throwing 400+ yards & rushing for damn near 200 yards every other game! It wasn't a game where he didn't score 3+ TD's ... he was remarkable.  Fast forward today... I see the same kid.  ?

I think I'm more impressed with him now than his collegiate days. John Harbaugh & Greg Roman has built something special around his talents. We all know this... but some of the things Lamar is doing is not part of the design and I think that's why DC's are having a hard time trying to figure out how to stop him.

McDermott is really good at what he does...a real student of the game... I hate his clock management but that's a different thread. But he said something yesterday that stuck with me:

"He (Lamar) is just so fast"

& that's what you can't teach or defend. LJ never ran the 40 at his pro day or combine. But, there were rumors at Louisville around 2016 that he hit 4.1 just playing around.  I don't know how much of the Ravens many of you watched this year. 

But DO NOT overreact this Sunday that our D sucks or our team is about to crumble if LJ kills our D. I'm just saying he put up 100 yards passing & 16 carries for 100 rushing with 2 TD's & it was considered his BAD GAME. I pray we can jus hold him to that.

Just don't overreact people... we're still good. 

Yes.  Check the playoffs last year.

Even Superman had his kryptonite lets hope Frazier can find Jacksons kryptonite this Sunday given the extra time to prepare. Hopefully he can find enough of a kink in the armor of the Ravens to hold them & Josh will continue to show us his improvement enough to out score them by 1 that's alls it takes is 1 !! 

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, matter2003 said:

Easier said then done.  Other teams have tried, including the 2 best defenses in the NFL and have failed. San Fran came closest but something tells me if the game wasn't played in a driving rain storm all game, the outcome might have been different and the Ravens would have piled up points.

The NFL is a matchup league.

The 49ers have a great defense because their defensive line is full of studs.  The pass rush they generate, on top of playing strong run defense, is formidible for a traditional offense.  But as others have pointed out, that fierce rush and playmaking ability left them out of position a few times against the Ravens, as they were trying so hard to make a TFL they didn't always do their job and it cost them.  That said, they only gave up 20 points.

The Patriots defense wins with aggressive man coverage and creative pressure packages.  The two things they are most susceptible to are QB runs and passing over the middle.

• Thank you (+1) 1

I like that Bills secondary is more zone as well for this game.  Definitely do not want to run man vs the Ravens offense.  Need to be in zone so you can react to the breakdown when it happens(oh it will a few times in the game) and that is when Jackson get's some good yardage.  Looked to me as well the 49ers also were very well disciplined in the pass rush and not getting too far up field on the edges.  Some of those inaccurate balls were present in that game not sure if it was due to the weather or not but some of the misses were bad.

The Bills Defense can do this the way Edmunds helps out in the middle and Milano on the RB TE releases on the outside.

Sure he can be stopped, just cheat like the pats, and purposely head shot him like they did to JA 

(I am being sarcastic people)

Go Bills!!!

Edited by Don Otreply
  • Like (+1) 1